Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Sleep Too Much?

Default I Sleep Too Much?

I've always had sleep problems.
    When I was a child, I had night terrors which ended when I was about 13. When I was in my teens, I suffered from sleep paralysis and insomnia. It wasn't until a couple of years ago when I embraced my AB side that I stumbled upon the solution to these problems. From the very first time I slept in a diaper, clutching a teddy bear tightly against my chest... all of these problems disappeared and I was able have the most sleep I'd had since I was about 3. It was great. I finally felt safe, secure and not alone.

While I was glad about all of this at first, i now I have a new problem. Seems I now sleep too much. It seems that when I go to sleep, I do not wake for 10-12 hours. This is too much right? Because, I can't get anything done now. I work evenings (7pm-2am) which means I usually get to bed around 3-5am and that mean its usually about 2:30-3:00pm in the afternoon before I wake up and by that time, the day is over and I feel like a lazy piece of crap for it. I'd like to be able to get up at around 10-11am. I feel like that should be enough sleep to get by on. Right? Surely 11 hours is too much right? My family and friends aren't making me feel any better about this. In fact, it's made me feel worse.

Any suggestions on getting a better sleep schedule going? I've tried sleeping without a diaper but that only helped a "tiny bit." Sleeping without my bear is something that I haven't been able to do. I feel lonely and sad without him.

Please help me. I don't know what to do.

A lot of people have that problem when they work nights. There are not many solutions besides forcing yourself to get up. Set an alarm and have something to look forward to when you wake up.

I know something about sleep research as I studied it and had a semester long course as an undergrad. I would suggest you do some research into sleep. Everyone is different with the amount they need. I know cousins of mine who need 10. My sister needs about 9 and I need about 8.5. Some people need far less, but the average American is sleep deprived, meaning they do not get enough. Night shift workers are particularly prone to insomnia, sleep deprivation and circadian rhythm dysfunctions. Please don't feel like you are lazy if you sleep 10 hours. If you are completely out during that whole time and wake up refreshed then you need it. Also might want to think about changing work shifts sometime down the road. Night work is not good for your sleep cycle.

By the way, I also suffered from night terrors as a child and occasional bedwetting. For almost 20 years, I've been a constant bedwetter. Takes a while for me to go to sleep, but once I'm out, I'm out.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and keep wearing your diaper and holding on to that bear!

I also suffered from night terrors when I was a child. Our daughter suffered from them as well, so it may be an inherited trait. I agree with Spaz that working night shifts stresses your circadian rhythm. I'm another person who can easily get 9 hours of sleep. We're all different. I'm also a night owl, and stay up later. I don't have a solution for your problem other than trying to get a morning shirt.

Thanks guys. It takes me a while to get to sleep but once I'm out, i'm out! I don't wake for 9-11 hours. My mom and dad both only sleep 5-7 hours and my sister about 8. Unfortunately for me though, I can't change shifts because I'm a professional musician and as you may guess, we work nights 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I don't have a solution for your problem other than trying to get a morning shirt.
    is that the same as saying suck it up....... lol grieving. soz dumb sense of humour.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily too much. I feel that the majority of us don't get enough sleep to begin with. Usually by the time we reach adulthood we have hundreds, if not thousands of hours of sleep debt. I personally can relate and hate how much I want to and do sleep because there's so much else I want and need to do.

All I can suggest is setting an alarm and drinking (more) coffee and trying to get a shift or job with more reasonable hours. This isn't something I'm suggesting lightly. I myself am currently trying to get my own career/job started that works more for me than I work for it and that has better hours. Many times this sort of stuff may and can take a good chunk of time and work to get set up.

It kinda sucks how much is demanded of us by modern society but forcing yourself to just get up and get stuff done is required. I myself have trouble with this and often spend too much of my time off sleeping instead of doing what I really want to accomplish and do. Don't sweat it though and realise that you got your whole life to figure this stuff out.

I have always slept normally 10-12 hours.
    It's just my normal and it's allright.

Working swing shift can be difficult to handle long term. I prefered grave yard myself (11-7 am). I found that working swing shift made me sleep more hours and heavier. Having a reason to get up earlier helps a lot, but may be hard to find. I used loud alarm clocks instead. Also, occasionally going to bed about 8-9 pm seemed to help me refresh from the jacked sleep schedule. I would assume the diapers and teddy bear have nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    is that the same as saying suck it up....... lol grieving. soz dumb sense of humour.
    Wow, I must have been tired. I think I was crashing....sigh. Plus, that cranberry juice and ginger ale I was drinking was strong. It was berry berry strong.