Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the highest price car insurance price it will go up to?

Default What is the highest price car insurance price it will go up to?

I have All State as my car insurance. I used to have Progressive but I cancelled it because the price was going up every time we had to renew it every six months. Then I cancelled it when it got close to 500 bucks so I cancelled it and got All State and they told me they were better so I went with them and it was around 337 dollars and then the next time I had to renew it, it was about $448 so not bad. Then when another six months went by, the cost went up to $382. Now it's at $432 and I am feeling worried again. How much higher will this go until it quits going up every time because if it reaches close to $500 again I am cancelling again and going shopping again.

Has anyone ever stuck with a same car insurance and did it keep on going up?

Does anyone else juggle car insurance to keep their cost down?

What happens when you run out of car insurance companies you have used, are you stuck with the last one? What happens if you go back to a car insurance you used to have?

When I lived in Montana, we had a car insurance call Bishop and it was in the $200's for me because it was insured under my dad's name until around the year 2010 and the cost also varied but it stayed in the same range, sometimes it would be more, and sometimes it would be lower. It fluctuated. Now out here I am facing this dilemma where the cost keeps on going up every time. I feel misled. I might talk to the agent tomorrow to ask whyyyyy. I am not paying over $500 in car insurance and I will cancel this one too if it ever goes that high. I hate shopping for car insurance, so annoying.

If you know of any good car insurance that doesn't do this, let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

And I have had my car fixed before, the wire to the clutch broke so I had to pay to get that fixed. Now I think I have to take my car in again once I get my tax return money because I think I am leaking something but yet my oil is still same amount because I have checked it twice and it says it's full so something else must be leaking because I keep seeing these rainbow spots on our driveway where my car is but yet I have not seen them anywhere else in public places and my car makes a funny sound when I first start driving it so I just want to get it checked out. I wonder if my car maintenance made the price sky rocket because I looked online about why car insurance goes up every time.

My Allstate Insurance is sky-high.
    I pay ~ $174.00/month, or ~ $2088.00/year.
    This is a significant percentage of my yearly SSDI income.
    Being disabled with Autism and Cerebral Palsy, I get screwed because I am disabled, with respect to vehicle insurance.

I'm not in the insurance industry (disclaimer) but I have dealt with insurance may times. First off, have had St. Farm for over 20 years. Their rates do fluctuate a little, it seems to be because of age, but there have been jumps when we move or when we get a newer vehicle.

Other than that, there are many factors mostly where you live. Rural Montana probably has lower rates than suburban Oregon. Is there a lot of crime in your area? Have you been in any accidents? Have you had any tickets? Remember, insurance involves both parties, so maybe your spouse has had a ticket or accident? Single people pay more than married, especially guys. My insurance agent also says that the companies adjust rates every six months or so, so they will be adjusted from time to time regardless of your residence and driving record. Also, the type(s) of car you drive can affect insurance. Honda Civics get stolen more than Honda vans.

So talk to your insurance agent. Shop around. Many people do change agencies. It shouldn't affect your rate. Oh! I heard rumors that your FICA score can affect your rates. Do you have a lot of debt or bad credit?

Lastly, car repairs shouldn't affect your rates. They don't pay for the maintenance, you do. What color are the spots? It could be brake or transmission oil.

I can't give any suggestions since I've stuck with the same insurance company since I got my car. I feel bad for complaining about paying $120 a month with usaa now. Seems like I'm getting a pretty good deal. Best of luck.

A lot of companies offer a low rate to entice new customers, and then put their prices up each year in the hope that you will be too lazy to switch.

Every time your insurance is due for renewal, it's probably a good idea to shop around for new quotes. Very often being a "new customer" means they'll give you the biggest discount, even if you used that company before.

Over here it's like that with mobile phone contracts. There are two companies with similar prices, and every year I have to switch from one to the other. Doing so almost halves my phone bills.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    I'm not in the insurance industry (disclaimer) but I have dealt with insurance may times. First off, have had St. Farm for over 20 years. Their rates do fluctuate a little, it seems to be because of age, but there have been jumps when we move or when we get a newer vehicle.

Other than that, there are many factors mostly where you live. Rural Montana probably has lower rates than suburban Oregon. Is there a lot of crime in your area? Have you been in any accidents? Have you had any tickets? Remember, insurance involves both parties, so maybe your spouse has had a ticket or accident? Single people pay more than married, especially guys. My insurance agent also says that the companies adjust rates every six months or so, so they will be adjusted from time to time regardless of your residence and driving record. Also, the type(s) of car you drive can affect insurance. Honda Civics get stolen more than Honda vans.

So talk to your insurance agent. Shop around. Many people do change agencies. It shouldn't affect your rate. Oh! I heard rumors that your FICA score can affect your rates. Do you have a lot of debt or bad credit?

Lastly, car repairs shouldn't affect your rates. They don't pay for the maintenance, you do. What color are the spots? It could be brake or transmission oil.

I haven't been pulled over in ten years. I have only been in one accident which was 9 years ago. My husband is disabled so he doesn't drive and never has. I will just shop around for insurance again when the bill gets too high. There are tons of car insurance companies out there. I would think they would know if you are a former customer with them or not because I would think they have it on record so I wasn't sure if it would be low again when you sign up again.
    I don't even have any debt.

And the color spot is rainbow colors because the ground gets wet but I have not seen any wet spots from my car in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    There are tons of car insurance companies out there. I would think they would know if you are a former customer with them or not because I would think they have it on record so I wasn't sure if it would be low again when you sign up again.
    They don't care if you've been a past customer or not. They just hope that this time you'll be too lazy to switch again when they put their prices up.

I don't drive, but it's annoying having to switch between the same two mobile phone companies every single year. But then, the "new customer" deals are pretty good, so it's worth the hassle. I guess it's the same with car insurance.

I used to be getting lower rates each 6 months, but they are now raising it. my car gets older, and its value gets lower so my full insurance for it should decrease lol I mean every day they would have to pay less to replace the car if its totaled.
    The area I'm in is terrible. unavoidable until I have enough money to move myself out. My credit score is well enough. It's my area most likely, my brother whos living beyond his means in a nice area, makes less has terrible credit but has better rates.

I'm with State Farm and I have been for years. I think I pay around $800/year and I have pretty good insurance, far above the minimum I need, with lots of extra bells and whistles. I'm also 29, have a perfect driving record (no accidents that are my fault), and excellent credit, so that does help my rates. My costs have only gone down every year. I also pretty much only drive to and from work so they don't have as many "miles" to insure, either.

One thing you might want to do is request a consultation with your insurance agent to go over the specific parts of your insurance. Whatever estimate they went off of when calculating their price could be wildly off - you may only drive 10,000 miles a year but they are insuring you at a rate that assumes 25,000 miles per year, etc. You may be carrying insurance on things you don't need, or on things that you would prefer to assume the risk of yourself.

Unless you've got a bad/greedy agent, they're more interested in simply keeping you with the company rather than loading you up with extras you don't need/convincing you to take higher priced tiers of insurance that you don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I haven't been pulled over in ten years. I have only been in one accident which was 9 years ago. My husband is disabled so he doesn't drive and never has. I will just shop around for insurance again when the bill gets too high. There are tons of car insurance companies out there. I would think they would know if you are a former customer with them or not because I would think they have it on record so I wasn't sure if it would be low again when you sign up again.
    I don't even have any debt.

And the color spot is rainbow colors because the ground gets wet but I have not seen any wet spots from my car in public.

I'm not sure why the amounts are increasing so much. Have you gone in & asked someone?

I'm not sure what relationship you have with your insurance agent, but you might just try calling them up on the phone or going to see them in person.

You might also look at your statement policy, to see if there are any changes in coverage or anything else. That policy / Statement should spell everything out.

I know the last time that I went shopping around for insurance. I could go into one place that claimed that I'd have low cost & saw that the low cost was because I wasn't paying for much coverage.
    Last edited by Mattew; 13-Feb-2016 at 03:39. Reason: spelling / grammer