Thread: Why do people choose to define others simply because of a single harmless aspect of their lifestyle?

Angry Why do people choose to define others simply because of a single harmless aspect of their lifestyle?

Apparently, a few years ago a Huffington Post article linked to a forum post on here discussing a non-AB related topic. There was an article mocking the Huffington Post for using a nonreliable source, which I can understand. But then the author went on to say that the fetish was "creepy" and ...

"Adult babies are not reliable. Give a chore to an adult baby and find out. Teen babies are even worse. Diaper furs? Their testimony won't stand up in court."
    So apparently all adult babies won't do chores, teen babies are the scum of the earth, and diaper furs will ... wear their fursuits and diapers to court or something. And that somehow invalidates their opinions on mature topics as well. I just don't get it, where is the logic? AB and DF are hobbies, fetishes, and can be lifestyle choices, but they are rarely all-consuming of a person's life.

This also happens to people with various fetishes and alternative lifestyles. I can understand people being afraid of it, mocking it in private even, but to judge a person's entire lifestyle on something so benign?

By the way, they chose to headline the article with this ridiculous image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diaperheader.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	25512

Just... what the hell, humanity? I thought we were taught to accept others' differences back in preschool.

Benign is in the eye of the beholder. Fetishes are almost by definition something that isn't normal. When something exceeds someones definition of normal to an offensive point, they become offended.

ABDL also suffers from a double whammy of being easy to missassociate with pedophilia (and unfortunately in some cases, it actually is associated with pedophilia, which doesn't help either..)

As to labelling and steriotyping, an unfortunate social necessisty due to the complexity of individualism and lack of human resource to assess everyone on a case by case basis in all situations. We can make efforts to limit it's impact on society, but it's always going to exist in some form.

TLDR: the universe isn't made of compressed happiness where every farts rainbows and loves everyone else and all that.

I'm sure this'll change eventually.
    We live in a global age, we're all connected and all sort of weirdos find each other now And "normal" people find the weirdos!
    Back in the 50's it was unthinkably weird to be gay and look at us now! Things are going forward, and when people get drowned in an avalanche of weird, they will have to learn to understand that it doesn't actually affect their lives anyway.

From my experience...

The reason "why" is the same reason school kids get bullied for having braces, or glasses, or an accent, or any old reason really... because it's convenient and fun to build yourself up at someone else's expense. It feels good. Taking the time to see the person behind the label, in contrast, is a total killjoy.

I think the person who posted those things was wrong to do so. And was wrong in a way that most kids and adults are taught is wrong in society today: that we shouldn't pick on people who are different and shouldn't take advantage of people who are vulnerable.

If it makes you feel any better, people who know better read that and conclude that the article author is a bad person, rather than agreeing with him about ABDLs.

As to the question of why, insecurity I suppose. It's easy to try and blame someone else for being bad as a way to try and minimize one's own mistakes, and that author had already messed up by using an unreliable source, so might have thought he could make himself look better by showing what "good" research he had done into just how unreliable the source was. Turns out, he made himself look like an idiot, but still hurt some feelings in the process, which sucks.

Things like this. Makes me feel sad. Actually it's how I would imagine a homosexual would feel back in the 50s /60s when being who you are was illegal.

Perhaps in 50 years time we will be able to walk down the street in our dippers and holding out cuddly toys up high.

Count me in on the first ABDL freedom march. Bottles at the ready!

OK i am being a silly baby.

But my point is we have to do a lot of what make us happy in secret. Even telling the people closest to us can be hard. And things like this just don't help.

My daddy says that if you don't have anything nice to say then is better not to say anything at all.

Anyway that's what I think.

Long answer: People tend to get angry at what they can't understand. They don't understand the appeal of ABDL or get why anybody would want this. So they assume that something must be wrong with them because "I'd never want that!", and find humor in people being different from them. They tend to be insecure about themselves and anything different from them is a threat, or they feel that they need to lash out at others to make themselves seem like the tough guy.

Short answer: People are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmax View Post
    Long answer: People tend to get angry at what they can't understand. They don't understand the appeal of ABDL or get why anybody would want this. So they assume that something must be wrong with them because "I'd never want that!", and find humor in people being different from them. They tend to be insecure about themselves and anything different from them is a threat, or they feel that they need to lash out at others to make themselves seem like the tough guy.

Short answer: People are assholes.