Spelling and grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.
DannyBBaby said:
<>I couldn't tell the difference between d and b until I was in the 3 grade.<>:wallbash:

I is 56 and still use the bed trick to tell them apart!

I want to add to my previous post:

When it comes to American versus English spellings, it doesn't bother me at all. I can easily make the transition between the two (cot-crib, nappy-diaper, boot-trunk) - as long as I am aware of the different. (It took me a while to learn some of the differences - it really helps reading stories written by an English writer.)

I believe that part of the issue of people getting annoyed with spelling and grammar is that they expect people to have had the same English training they received. Asinine be this assumption.

sbmccue said:
The Millennium generation has effectively crippled itself by learning to text rather than write... Turn off the spell-check, buy a dictionary, and learn to communicate via the written word!
When was the last time you tried to buy a dictionary? The last one I saw came on a cd-rom.
sbmccue said:
Wait a minute, Sisi: When I went to school, dictionaries were arranged in alphabetical order...

As I've already mentioned, I feel very badly for folks with learning disabilities. The fact that you don't want to bother using a dictionary isn't something for which I'm prepared to extend my sympathy.
sisi said:
It not that i won't use a dictionary becouse i do. But for me it would be a mistake not to use a spell check and technology that is available.

And sometimes I really have no idea on how to spell a word.
I can remember spending two hours looking through a dictionary for the spelling of a word.
BabyDenise said:
How right you are! I am not a good speller and on numerous occasions when I was growing up, I told my mother this very same thing!

I have news for anyone expecting paper dictionaries to still be used today: those have been laid to rest next to the ink wells and typewriters! Starting late in the last century, computers became how people write. The proper use of a dictionary was not taught well when I was in school and now is not even covered. Computers do grammar checks, spelling checks, and will even auto-correct words to something completely wrong.

In times past, writing was a major process; each page required careful consideration. There were no ways to correct errors. I remember typing on a type writer and being frustrated with typing mistakes ruining a sheet of paper representing hours of work. In those times, perfection was the standard; one did not simply waste a sheet of paper, an envelop, and a first class stamp to send mistakes.

Those days are gone. Now, instead of painstaking perfection, quantity is favored over quality. Preparing an email to a friend may take seconds from start to sent. Preparing a "written paper" is now done on computer; the expectation is for the first draft to not be grammatically or textually perfect. Now, the first draft may be the only draft; gone are the days when people formally made rough drafts, edited copies, and final drafts. Make a mistake? Just edit, save, and be done.

This does not even consider what students are now taught in school. The phonetics, formal grammar rules, massive spelling quizzes, and strict punctuation rules to be memorized are gone! The English classes have been gutted and all that remains is weak remnant of what used to be. When people want to learn English well now, they study for an English major at college.

So, where does this leave us? I have never owned a dictionary myself, my computer does most of my spelling corrections, and I use google to get the spelling for words not in my computer's dictionary. Now, how do I get my phone to stop thinking ADISC should be written "a disc"?

magnolia said:
However, I think the term dyslexia should be used properly and not as a wastebasket diagnosis for people who just didn't attend school (ooops this might become a molotov cocktail).

I earned two post-graduate degrees from M.I.T.
I am dyslexic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back