Thread: Your Thoughts Please

Default Your Thoughts Please

HI Everyone

I need a bit of help trying to sort a problem out.

Before i started wearing nappies to bed i would have to get up during the night go to the loo. I then normally wake up tired in the morning
    For the past monthish i have been wearing a nappy to bed every night. I semi wake up in the middle of the night and wet my nappy then go back to sleep. Some nights i wake up start wetting and as far as i know before im finished im fast asleep again.
    Now for the last few nights i havent felt the need or inclination to wear a nappy at night but once again i have to wake, go to the loo and then back to bed. Needless to say i wake up tired. I have been sleeping pretty well until my body tells me that it needs to go. last night i held it in until this morning, needless to say that i didnt sleep well and was worried that i would wet the bed. Part of me thinks i should just wet the bed. by doing this i will realise that i am a bed wetter and need to wear nappies at night. The last time i was a bed wetter was in my early years about 3 or 4 years old i think.

What do i do? I normally really, really enjoy wearing to bed and wetting during the night. In some ways i hope that at some point i will wake up in the morning wet and not knowing that i wet during the night. Then again i feel that it s not needed.

What are your opinions on this situation?

I'm surprised it's such a disruption to your sleep to get up and use a toilet. I've got a high capacity bladder but every once in a while, I do need to pee at night. I can't say I've noticed any difference in how I feel whether I happen to be wearing a diaper, I need to use the toilet, or my sleep is uninterrupted.

Since it does seem to be a problem for you and you obviously have zero objection to night diapers, they seem ideal. The only caution I would give is that you're following the process people describe as fairly effective in learning to bedwet and whether or not you find that notion appealing, it's a disability.

If you don't want to wear diapers every night maybe you could keep a small plastic urinal or other receptacle nearby to use? Sometimes I fantasize about keeping a chamberpot under my bed, even though the bathroom's just across the hallway...

I agree with Trevor. If it's this big interruption to your sleep to get up to go to the bathroom, you might just need to wear diapers to bed.

This might seem like a childish thing. But have you tried to reduce your liquids before bedtime? Stopping at a certain amount of time before bed, and then trying to go before you get in bed. That might help too, if you're not already doing it. That way, you might be able to start sleeping during the night.

Hmm. I also agree with Trevor that having to wake up and use the bathroom during the night doesn't really affect my sleep overall. I usually go back to bed and fall back asleep, then feel pretty normal at my regular wakeup time. That said, if it is affecting your sleep to have to use the bathroom at night, you've got some kind of medical problem, though I'm not sure that it's bedwetting exactly.

I think this is a hard question to answer and I'd actually recommend that you make an appointment to see the doctor and get some medical advice. It's fine that wearing diapers gives you better sleep, even if that means wetting the diapers, but Trevor is right that uncontrollable bedwetting is a disability, and going many, many nights doing that is likely to make it into a habit even when you don't wear diapers. It may turn out that compared to your other options, wetting the bed is both the least intrusive and most effective for your health, but it's worth exploring those other options before reaching that conclusion, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattew View Post
    This might seem like a childish thing. But have you tried to reduce your liquids before bedtime? Stopping at a certain amount of time before bed, and then trying to go before you get in bed. That might help too, if you're not already doing it. That way, you might be able to start sleeping during the night.
    I was also going to suggest this, but you beat me to it. It's worth practicing some good general bathroom habits and making cutting off liquid intake a few hours before bed, just to see if it helps.

HI Guys

Thank you for your thoughts. If I'm not wearing a nappy to bed i usually go to the bathroom before going to bed. I didn't think about the amount of fluid i take in before bed. I'll keep an eye on this and see what happens. Flip..... I feel like a kid again discussing this. Not something i want to go to.
    I think its something that i have always had for the last few years. I'm a person who needs his sleep otherwise my day is just not productive. But I think wearing a nappy at night has made me more aware of it. Then not wearing at night has made me realise even more. So I think this has been a knee jerk reaction and I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Thanks guys