What do you do in 'the real world'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 50 years I gave it all up 12 years ago and retired. Was in Industrial maintainance, electrician, Small engine mech, welder.

Although not as experienced or as decorated as the previous posts, I'm just currently a first year college student. I am hoping to major in accounting, possibly minor in game design on the side. I used to have two different jobs, caddying and working at a grocery store. Caddying was possibly my best paying job so far, roughly 60-70 dollars a day. Last summer my parents said I couldn't be a caddy anymore because in the three years I was one, I still was the lowest tier of caddy, whereas all my fellow caddies I entered with were now A or Honor caddies. I ended up working at a grocery store under a forced union (it is only a summer job people!). Got to say, worst experience ever. Due to union dues and income tax, I only made around $5 a hour. They had the audacity of trying to demand I either continue working for them and drive back and forth (10 miles) to work at my low payment, or just give up my housing on campus and just drive to college. I give them the middle finger, took my paycheck, and stormed out of there. Besides all that, I practice various forms of art and I am currently trying to design games on my own. My mom says if my accounting career doesn't catch off, I could be an author. Half of the time when I am not doing home work, studying, or gaming, I'm trying to find any other possible abdls in the area.

After working in the computer industry for 35 years as a programmer, system analyst, manager, and general computer nerd, I have spent the last 15 years teaching programming and database at 2 year colleges (time to give back). I have also developed some database systems for my college and will be doing more of that for the rest of the year (or maybe longer).

Forklift Operator

Nam Repaid said:
Interesting you posted with the same job while I typed my rant. I too do love what I / we do but have come to hate the people I do it for.

I'm actually pretty happy with my employer. We have good benefits, the people in charge treat us like people rather than numbers, and our wages are above average "market" rate for this area. Compensation and work environment are both excellent.

Of course, that could always change over the course of my career as administrations change, but, for the moment, I'm pretty happy.

I do electronics engineering, specifically analog IC design. Doesn't sound like much, but there's some pretty cool aspects to it. Basically, I design, layout, debug, and get into production the chips that power other chips. It takes understanding of electronics, chemistry, physics, mechanical engineering, radiation effects, and more. Some of the designs I've created are on Mars with the rovers there, I'm fairly proud of that.

On my off days, I understand enough of the rest of life to do everything from building fences, to working on cars.

I am in my third year of college and major in computer engineering. I am also an NCAA Division I athlete.

Retired, stay at home dad. 19 years in biomedical research, Nero Science, reproductive science, along with Virology work (did the animal handling for the aids vaccine that is now in clinical trials), and some very strange stuff for the DOD.

I have several jobs. I farm, raise cattle, do some light IT work, do paperwork at a local car dealership, do some computer work at a local office, and I'm also a firefighter.

For 11 years I worked in a plastic pipe extrusion plant mostly as QC but have done mixing PVC compounds and extrusion operator. Then when the plant closed I got into valve automation. I worked on gas/hydraulic quarter-turn and linear, self contained hydraulics, and pneumatic. Pipeline safety was a big part of of what I have built things for. Now I am working with electric actuators also.

I am a stay at home wife. I'm also a tagalong with my husband. He is a truck driver, so I enjoy getting to ride with him.

Use to be a driver that delivered parts. Now an office worker. Its ok I guess. I also do light IT work too.

I'm a cashier at a local grocery store. But I'm looking to work somewhere else because I feel like the managers are irresponsible.

I retired as a Senior Chemical Engineer after 32 years of service with one company, in and out of management twice (out by choice - I prefer working with equipment and processes rather than herding cats). My favorite position was designing, configuring, implementing and maintaining sequenced process control systems for hazardous processes. The downside though was since I was the only one doing it, I was on 24/7 call even through vacations. When I finally got out of that position and back to process engineering (where they needed me more since I knew all of the many processes rather than just focusing on a few), I was replaced by a manager and three people.

I am a recent graduate so no real occupation yet, though I am currently working on starting an import/export business while also pursuing a full time job. In a few years time I hope that my business will be generating enough revenues for me to quit my job and focus on my business full time.

I work as a hydraulic systems mechanic at a kc-135 stratotanker depot.

9 jobs, 10th is misery. Basically technically formed (automatization etc.,) but do/did afew things out of that camp.

not telling haha only a few people doing what i do for a living. i have a successful YouTube channel as well that i make $$ from.

Rice, Soybean and Corn Farmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back