Double-Tape vs. Quad-Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearman

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Been thinking of getting some of the new Cushies v. 2, and as somebody who enjoys Littlepaws (except for the beading problem I'm running into), I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of the dual-tape system vs. the four-tape. Does anyone have any input or thoughts?

I wear an XL, for what that's worth, if it makes a difference in the fit.

I'd say all the advantages lie with 2-3 tapes to a side. Some people wear the single tapes to a side just fine (I do) but they aren't as robust with different body types. I like Cushies and SDKs just fine but there are a significant minority that don't get a good fit.

Thanks for the input. I like the aesthetics of double-tape, but I worry about the fit. I tried the v1 SDK a long time ago, and they did all right, but I wasn't wearing as long then as I do now, so there's a concern.

Bearman said:
Thanks for the input. I like the aesthetics of double-tape, but I worry about the fit. I tried the v1 SDK a long time ago, and they did all right, but I wasn't wearing as long then as I do now, so there's a concern.

I'd say they're worth a try but I'm biased in favor of trying diapers, particularly when they're different than the usual ones.

I've been wondering about this too. Would a two-tape diaper work for a larger person like me? Guess I'll just have to try one and find out.

This discussion comes up 2-3 times a year here. I always describe it as a problem of adult pelvis shape vs baby pelvis shape. They're round and we're boxy. Tapes need to (1) seal around the legs and (2) keep your diaper up on your hip. Using a single tape on a side to do both requires considering both needs at the same time. With adults, the legs and the beltline are pretty far apart so a single tape is going to have to compromise between the ideal positions for around the leg and around the waist. This may land well below your beltline, and if its too far down, your diaper won't stay up. If it's too high, you'll leak badly.

I think most people that have issues with cushies have issues with leaks because they're trying to keep their diaper from falling on the floor around their ankles.

So my take on it is that single tapes are just a cosmetic thing, get them if you specifically want your diaper to have single tapes. If you want actual performance, leak protection, and can wear while active without bruising your hips, go with doubles. While there are certain things about diapers I'm visually picky about, tapes ain't one of them, so I go for performance. I want to be able to go to bed, be comfortable, and wet my diaper all night long instead of getting up to go, and not worry about leaks. I just don't see that happening for me with a single tape diaper.

bambinod said:
This discussion comes up 2-3 times a year here. I always describe it as a problem of adult pelvis shape vs baby pelvis shape. They're round and we're boxy. Tapes need to (1) seal around the legs and (2) keep your diaper up on your hip. Using a single tape on a side to do both requires considering both needs at the same time. With adults, the legs and the beltline are pretty far apart so a single tape is going to have to compromise between the ideal positions for around the leg and around the waist. This may land well below your beltline, and if its too far down, your diaper won't stay up. If it's too high, you'll leak badly.

I think most people that have issues with cushies have issues with leaks because they're trying to keep their diaper from falling on the floor around their ankles.

So my take on it is that single tapes are just a cosmetic thing, get them if you specifically want your diaper to have single tapes. If you want actual performance, leak protection, and can wear while active without bruising your hips, go with doubles. While there are certain things about diapers I'm visually picky about, tapes ain't one of them, so I go for performance. I want to be able to go to bed, be comfortable, and wet my diaper all night long instead of getting up to go, and not worry about leaks. I just don't see that happening for me with a single tape diaper.

As someone who likes them more than I expected, I was surprised that there was no noticeable loss in performance for me. I know more people have fit complaints with single tapes than double or triple and I don't think they're doing anything wrong. That they continue to be a popular product and they work great for me, says that while the incidents of poor performance are higher, they're still decent for most.

Trevor said:
As someone who likes them more than I expected, I was surprised that there was no noticeable loss in performance for me. I know more people have fit complaints with single tapes than double or triple and I don't think they're doing anything wrong. That they continue to be a popular product and they work great for me, says that while the incidents of poor performance are higher, they're still decent for most.

I think it's a gamble as to how well your body shape and size match the diaper you're trying to wear. There will be cases where you can get a good fit, but it will require getting the tapes pretty close to perfect. For others (like me anyway) there simply is no "happy medium". The only way I can keep a cushies from falling off my waist OR gapping horribly in the crotch is to crank down the tapes really tight in that ideal direction between down and up. And that gets me bruises on my hip, pretty much every time. (cushies have NO stretch in them whatsoever) So for me it's that triangle of "stays up, leakproof, comfy, pick TWO" And since I demand those three features, they're not for me.

I often have trouble with getting the lowest tape to fit me since I have so big legs (I'm an avid cyclist, walk alot etc..) This has led me to wonder if two-tape system would actually be ideal for me :9 hmm
Gotta order some Cushies for christmas!

Three or nothing. The only premium diaper I have found with a second tape low enough is the Dry 24/7. Any other diaper I add a third tape low around the legs. Top tape and added third tape shape the diaper. The now middle tape is just insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back