Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlforpurity

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
We have a lot of ABDL's here. How man of you are great at the skill of cooking. I cook a wide variety of foods. I love to make fresh pasta, and have perfected m recipe of home made pizza. I would like to here what you like to cook.

Ya, I would consider myself a pretty good cook. I base that off the fact that people generally love my cooking and rave about it all the time. I used to watch a lot of cooking shows back when I was younger. One of my favorite shows was Good Eats, because Alton Brown didn't just teach you recipes, he taught you how to cook. He taught you why you would do something a certain way, and even would go as far to teach you the history. Alton Brown, he just seems like a very knowledgeable chef and he was always fun to watch in Good Eats. It's a darn shame that show is gone.

As for the kind of things I cook? Anything and everything.
I also like to experiment and cook new kinds of food, especially from different cultures. Japanese food is one of my favorites.

I don't generally follow cook books, instead I do research around the net looking for top recipes and seeing what works together and what does not. I will sometimes change things around to get things exactly the way I like or others like it. I think it's always important to think about who you are cooking for.

I also love baking and would even go as far to say I am better at baking than I am at cooking. None of that box crap. I like making everything from scratch. I also am the type of person to go above and beyond to make something look amazing, even if it takes a lot of time and effort. Being an artist really helps in that regard.

I'm very much into cooking. Unfortunately with the hours I work it's hard to find time to do anything fancy during the week, but on weekends I usually do a decent amount of cooking.

I make a pretty good tomato sauce (I start from fresh tomatos, roast them in the oven for about 2 hours with oil and spices/onion/garlic, through the processor, then simmer on the stove with some red wine and spices..), and do a lot of stuff with chicken and beef. I've been trying to do thai recently-ish and am getting better (a lack of a proper wok setup doesn't help).

I definitely enjoy cooking, and making my own foods just as I want them. I'm still kind of learning -- there are some dishes I can make consistently well (chili, borscht, teriyaki salmon) and others I've not yet mastered (Indian curry, homemade pizza or arrabbiata pasta sauce). It's fun to try out new recipes when I have free time. ^^

brabbit1987 said:
I don't generally follow cook books, instead I do research around the net looking for top recipes and seeing what works together and what does not. I will sometimes change things around to get things exactly the way I like or others like it. I think it's always important to think about who you are cooking for.

I tend to do the same. I enjoy experimenting with new recipes that are kind of a personalized amalgamation of ideas from the web.

I can cook anything from Microwave foods to toast :) well i guess technically I could cook more but I'm really really lazy.

I might not be the best cook, but I am good enough :3
Also, I detest microwave. Anything I can re-heat easily in a pan, I will rather than microwave.

TyphaHare said:
I might not be the best cook, but I am good enough :3
Also, I detest microwave. Anything I can re-heat easily in a pan, I will rather than microwave.

There are certain things that work fine in a microwave, but generally I agree. :p

Well, one thing is for sure, I always make pasta al dente and know how to whip up a mean pancake. I also experiment with desert designs and treats. I'm trying to learn how to make pastries from my friend currently.

brabbit1987 said:
There are certain things that work fine in a microwave, but generally I agree. :p

Yeah, I do reheat soup in microwave, unless it's the last drop since I don't want to heat up the whole thing, let it cool for the fridge again etc..
But I really like that crisp pan-heating will give 8I~ Like some casseroles, they get so nice golden brown omnom

Have any cooks here done any sort of butchery. I am slowly getting into more butchery to save money and to allow me to do more intricate dishes like beef wellington.

TyphaHare said:
Yeah, I do reheat soup in microwave, unless it's the last drop since I don't want to heat up the whole thing, let it cool for the fridge again etc..
But I really like that crisp pan-heating will give 8I~ Like some casseroles, they get so nice golden brown omnom

It is actually possible under certain circumstances to brown things in a microwave. If you coat meat in oil before it's fully defrosted, then microwave it in a covered container, you can sear the outside without overcooking the interior, but it's definitely inferior to pan-heating. Preferably on a gas hob. I can't stand electric hobs.

I love cooking. I've tried my hand at virtually everything, but my major areas are stews, casseroles and curries, and pan seared meats and fish with sauces. I'm trying out thai duck curry tonight.

Hello Everyone.

There is a real good discussion going on here.

First I would like to invite everyone to join the "Foodie" group.

There is a cook book that we have been working on since it started 2+ years ago.

I do enjoy cooking and do fund raising type catering for a group that I belong to.

I also lived on a farm and have done everything from helping birth the lambs and starting chicks to prepping the food for dinner. I guess that would be the ultimate start to finish.

I hope to see discussions like this in "Foodies"

Egor

So many great cooks on here. I'll go join the foodie group. I enjoy cooking and baking from scratch. My Mommy also enjoys my cooking, so I'm a baby that cooks. I make my own bread, pasta, and ravioli. I have a wheat grinder so I use fresh whole wheat flour for all my baking and cooking. I don't own a microwave, the only thing I think they are good for is to make a quick baked potato. I wish I was cooking with gas again, but just renting the house so don't have much choice.

Dlforpurity said:
Have any cooks here done any sort of butchery. I am slowly getting into more butchery to save money and to allow me to do more intricate dishes like beef wellington.
Nope, not sure if I would ever do so either, but then again ... who knows lol. I do many things I never thought I would do XD.

Akastus said:
It is actually possible under certain circumstances to brown things in a microwave. If you coat meat in oil before it's fully defrosted, then microwave it in a covered container, you can sear the outside without overcooking the interior, but it's definitely inferior to pan-heating. Preferably on a gas hob. I can't stand electric hobs.

I love cooking. I've tried my hand at virtually everything, but my major areas are stews, casseroles and curries, and pan seared meats and fish with sauces. I'm trying out thai duck curry tonight.

XD In some cases it's even possible to bake things in the microwave. I have even made something like granola in the microwave to use for some yogurt. It also turns out crispy to if you do it right :3

egor said:

Pretty sure I have already been part of it :3, will double check though.

Microwave is ok for leftovers. I am a purest to old fashioned, but not to the point of cooking in a hearth fireplace. For some bakers here one treat I like to take the time to make is the French Napoleons.

I love to cook especially all the preparation. All the different colours and textures are awesome and look so appetising. I'm quite adventurous and have learnt many skills so I try lots of different stuff. When I get bored I just think, what cultures food haven't I tried and then go from there. Italian is probably my fav followed by Indian and then Chinese. But I also love Mexican Thai ........... :) you get the picture.
Being a creative person, cooking for me is like making another artwork and that's always fun...oh and not to mention the eating mmmmmmmmm.

Have you ever gone to a chain restraint after cooking for yourself. For one you can tell what is made fresh and is not and that you think to yourself I can do beyyer.

Dlforpurity said:
Have you ever gone to a chain restraint after cooking for yourself. For one you can tell what is made fresh and is not and that you think to yourself I can do beyyer.

I used to work in a lot of chain fast food places XD but I have only worked at one restaurant though. From my experience, most foods are not what I would ever consider fresh in places that are food chains. The reason this ends up happening is due to the company wanting parity between the chains. They want to make sure that no matter which chain you got to, it tastes the same. This often means coming up with ways to cook the foods equally the same across all chains, as an example the subway toaster oven that has an exact timer based on the type of sub.
That also means prepackaged foods, such as meat for consistency.

It really has gotten to the point that it's rare I can't make something better than a chain restaurant. There are some exception though of course :3

Dlforpurity said:

Depends on the dish and the resturant.

For some, absolutely. There was this Italian place that made a really nice sausage and pepper penne in an aribbiata sauce. It took me awhile, but I got to a point where I can make something that I feel is better.

For some, not yet. I've been trying to do thai for awhile but still am not there.. and there's a good thai place that is miles above anything I can cook.

Even still though, even if you can do better, sometimes it's worth it for convenience or atmosphere.

Dlforpurity said:
Microwave is ok for leftovers.
i did my cookery exam using only the microwave :cool:
not only was i the first to finish, but i also had much less washing-up to do. i went for a fag while everybody else was rushing and panicking.

this was back in the eighties, and microwaves were still a novelty over here. everybody was impressed, including the teacher who was very much old-school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back