Personality Types

Status
Not open for further replies.
DrunkBunny said:
[snip]
but some of these traits are traits I've had to learn to cope in the real world.

It comes very much down to this in the end, I think.
Which may or may not be the little problem about those kind of personality tests. However, that's not bad in itself, the question is just basically do/should we answer the way we behave most of the time... and are sometimes forced to - simply to get along with things, no matter what it is. I.e. like putting on a mask when going outside, hiding some emotions, hiding some facts, hiding a part of ourselves to make things easier for other people and ourselves by a big amount.
Or should we answer based on how we (think... we) are deep down, sometimes hidden, truly and therefore not "altered" or biased.

The problem in that therefore can be, I guess, that how we really are, how we feel, may end up being how we'd wish to be. Despite that it is only the fact that it's hard to simply show our true selves all the time, without getting hurt or hurting others along the way.

While our mood at any given time is also a big factor. Especially if someone is quite close between the two opposing sides. As a simple example. I'm sometimes rather low on the introvert spectrum in those tests (I guess it depends on how the questions are phrased)... so I guess I could even end up sorted as extrovert, as some are probably, but while having the typical introvert trait of needing a break sometimes. Being alone to recharge your batteries simply put. However, the overall score then may very much be influenced due to some/or a lot extrovert traits, hence showing this as the most appropriate tendency.

Besides, at a rather young age we're still defining ourselves. Encountering a vast majority of things, where we just learn how to manage in time, or spontaneous. So our actions may become habits, and our habits shape our character. Although our own thoughts and believes influence this by a very large amount, which no one can look into.

Anyway, on topic:
I like those tests, and we had them a while ago. Although I don't really remember anything about the Assertive vs Turbulent differentiation... so I did end up as Turbulent with 71%... which is interesting, but also not that surprising given the description.

INFJ-T, as most of the time. I guess it fits, especially the insistence on being right merely based on intuition and idealism... Thats a joke, with a tiny bit of truth in it.
This time a bit lower on Feeling vs Thinking, but higher on Judging vs Perceiving, as also higher on the Introvert spectrum.

Wow... 50 bucks to take the test... I will pass

what does that make me?

Honestly, I think most people will fall in between 2 personality types as there is rarely a a black and white when it comes to personality.

attends10 said:
Wow... 50 bucks to take the test... I will pass

what does that make me?

Honestly, I think most people will fall in between 2 personality types as there is rarely a a black and white when it comes to personality.

Taking the test is free .. no idea where you got the 50 bucks from. That is only for a premium profile. XD

Also, there is no test that is 100%, but this is one of the most accurate and consistent that exists. It's just something interesting and fun to try, nothing more.

daLira said:
It comes very much down to this in the end, I think.
Which may or may not be the little problem about those kind of personality tests. However, that's not bad in itself, the question is just basically do/should we answer the way we behave most of the time... and are sometimes forced to - simply to get along with things, no matter what it is. I.e. like putting on a mask when going outside, hiding some emotions, hiding some facts, hiding a part of ourselves to make things easier for other people and ourselves by a big amount.
Or should we answer based on how we (think... we) are deep down, sometimes hidden, truly and therefore not "altered" or biased.

I always choose based on the truth, not things I might have or would have done. Actions are always louder than words. You should never answer based on who you think you are, because that is a load of non sense.

Wishing one was shy or thinking they are not shy, doesn't change the fact that they are indeed shy.

The problem in that therefore can be, I guess, that how we really are, how we feel, may end up being how we'd wish to be. Despite that it is only the fact that it's hard to simply show our true selves all the time, without getting hurt or hurting others along the way.

You just answer, honestly, with what you do.

While our mood at any given time is also a big factor. Especially if someone is quite close between the two opposing sides. As a simple example. I'm sometimes rather low on the introvert spectrum in those tests (I guess it depends on how the questions are phrased)... so I guess I could even end up sorted as extrovert, as some are probably, but while having the typical introvert trait of needing a break sometimes. Being alone to recharge your batteries simply put. However, the overall score then may very much be influenced due to some/or a lot extrovert traits, hence showing this as the most appropriate tendency.

According to this test, it doesn't make as huge of a difference as you would think. They have tested this over and over again the past 40 years. As long as the person is being honest, and answering the questions based around who they actually are and not who they wish to be. It has been found to be accurate and consistent.

I not once have ever gotten a different result then INTP, and I have taken this test many times in the past. It doesn't change because I always answer honestly. My mood doesn't change the answer, because that would mean I am lying in some way.

Besides, at a rather young age we're still defining ourselves. Encountering a vast majority of things, where we just learn how to manage in time, or spontaneous. So our actions may become habits, and our habits shape our character. Although our own thoughts and believes influence this by a very large amount, which no one can look into.
Well ya, if you are young I suppose as you grow older you may change a bit. However, this isn't always necessarily the case either. Personalities don't really change that easily.

brabbit1987 said:
Well ya, if you are young I suppose as you grow older you may change a bit. However, this isn't always necessarily the case either. Personalities don't really change that easily.
True, it takes a staggering amount of small occurrences or very much a trauma for this to manifest in a character.

I always choose based on the truth, not things I might have or would have done. Actions are always louder than words. You should never answer based on who you think you are, because that is a load of non sense.

Wishing one was shy or thinking they are not shy, doesn't change the fact that they are indeed shy.

You just answer, honestly, with what you do.
Of course lying or just changing some small properties slightly, is basically changing it in a way someone would like to point it in a direction to get a certain (different) result. Which is just being dishonest, and actually kinda silly since it's for oneself.

That's not the point anyhow. The little thingy is, is being forced due to any given circumstances or influences, so it alters the way one would actually behave or seem to be in contrast to how someone needs to react and behave due to this, while inheriting those traits due to habit over time, is this being dishonest?
Culture, society and sometimes friends can make people needing to be much more socializing, or in reverse much more isolated sometimes, as they really are. Although any individual surely would know in hindsight if socializing is eitherway exhausting or refreshing.
But needing to adapt to this over and over again; or if a girl, born in a somewhat hierarchic country, would have extrovert campaigning traits. Is it then being dishonest if this individual needs to suppress certain characteristics, in order to behave "appropriate", and learned seeming to be a certain way, since it's expected; or is it acknowledging this given situation, whatever the circumstances are, and adapting to fulfill a certain role.

Of course the first is what we wish for being the truth we could show, live... be. But the latter is all too often present. That's what I was getting at.

I got INFP-T as well

daLira said:
Culture, society and sometimes friends can make people needing to be much more socializing, or in reverse much more isolated sometimes, as they really are. Although any individual surely would know in hindsight if socializing is eitherway exhausting or refreshing.
But needing to adapt to this over and over again; or if a girl, born in a somewhat hierarchic country, would have extrovert campaigning traits. Is it then being dishonest if this individual needs to suppress certain characteristics, in order to behave "appropriate", and learned seeming to be a certain way, since it's expected; or is it acknowledging this given situation, whatever the circumstances are, and adapting to fulfill a certain role.

Of course the first is what we wish for being the truth we could show, live... be. But the latter is all too often present. That's what I was getting at.

Suppressing unwanted characteristics isn't going to change your overall personalty though because there will still be characteristics of that personality type that are wanted. What I mean is there are negatives and positives to just about any trait. So if you are suppressing the negatives, the positives are very likely still going to be seen.

Though, I suppose if someone felt the positives where also negatives and decided to suppress those as well, then you would begin to have issues with the test. However, if you know you are purposefully suppressing them, you should be able to incorporate that into the test. I wouldn't consider it dishonest at that point.

INFP-T Mediator. I'm introverted (always knew that-people wear me out), intuitive, feeling, prospecting and turbulent (don't know where that came from). Thanks, it was fun to do. My results at a younger age would have been different. As I've gotten older, I'm more open to engaging with people, talking in front of groups, expressing myself. Less worried about what others think. Still the introvert but a little less so.

I nearly always come up as INTP.

The questions are sufficiently vague and subjective that there's often no single best answer that fits, and the question set you get and the way you interpret the questions could change over time, as well as your personality to some extent. I don't think the personality of the 16-year-old me will be identical to that of the 65-year-old me.

tiny said:
I nearly always come up as INTP.

The questions are sufficiently vague and subjective that there's often no single best answer that fits, and the question set you get and the way you interpret the questions could change over time, as well as your personality to some extent. I don't think the personality of the 16-year-old me will be identical to that of the 65-year-old me.

Right, but tests like these generally ask you a lot of questions to sort of remove that static so to speak, so even if answer change over time it may not change the result. Also, many tests will ask some questions repeatedly just worded differently. This is generally used to weed out dishonesty. Think it was originally used in the military. I don't know how much this test uses those methods. Generally speaking though it's just best to be as honest as you can.

With that said, I do agree. A lot of peoples perspectives on life can change from child hood to adult. I still don't think it would change excessively though unless something happened to the person.

i got ENTJ-A.
that means that you all have to do as i say......or else.

ade said:
i got ENTJ-A.
that means that you all have to do as i say......or else.

Please command me! *jumps at your feet and bows* Oh great one!

Problem is I am a free spirit ;3 no seriously, not even 'I' can keep my true self down.

No wonder we get on so well Marka! I am the same type! I see that a lot of people on this site are introverts. I suppose it makes sense, given the nature of our society and the way one has to hide if they are AB/DL.

It's weird being an extrovert that is agoraphobic. Agoraphobia basically means that I'm afraid of situations where there could be a "catastrophe" that could lead to embarrassment. For me, that is most social situations (I'm a social klutz). If anyone here watches Advenure Time, I feel like I'm Finn and social situations are flame princess. I want to be close, but get burned if I get too close!

I'm an INTP.

I am actually becoming impressed with how many are INTP. I was expecting far less.

So many introverts..... pack of wallflowers.... hahaha
nah really all the smartest people are the ones keeping a low profile :D

Magnolias said:
No wonder we get on so well Marka! I am the same type! I see that a lot of people on this site are introverts. I suppose it makes sense, given the nature of our society and the way one has to hide if they are AB/DL.

It's weird being an extrovert that is agoraphobic. Agoraphobia basically means that I'm afraid of situations where there could be a "catastrophe" that could lead to embarrassment. For me, that is most social situations (I'm a social klutz). If anyone here watches Advenure Time, I feel like I'm Finn and social situations are flame princess. I want to be close, but get burned if I get too close!

Honey do you remember what my personality type was? I know I'm introverted and that I'm somewhat rare (I vaguely remember only 7% of the population being like me allegedly?) but I forgot the rest.

If memory serves I'm INTJ. Though that may have changed since I last did that test back in like... 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back