Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telling a friend

Default Telling a friend

Hey everyone!
    I really need some help here. So I'm bladder incontinent due to multiple kidney stones and want to tell my best friend that I need to wear diapers. I've been able to hide it for a long time but I think I would feel like the weight of the world would be lifted off my shoulders if I didn't need to hide it and try to cover it up ALL THE TIME. Any suggestions on how to bring it up in a casual conversation? Thanks for any help!!

I'd lead with the kidney stones first and hit on the problems it's caused etc

btw, what was it about the stones that led to IC? Had to have surgery?

Yes, I too would go with the medical information. Anyone would understand that and be accepting. If they weren't there would have to be something wrong with them.

Starting with the diagnosis is a good lead in, explain you have gone through the urologist tests and the best option for you was being diapered 24/7 to control your bladder issue. I have told a few people and they have all understood and it makes it way easier to deal with the issues of changing while out with the people who know.

It also takes a lot of stress away that they may find out by accident, and they won't question why you need a back pack with you when you visit the washroom.

When it is medical, and more so kidney stones, who can truly blame you, no one. Speaking of medical, by chance is one sign of kidney stones a piercing pain coming from the left side under the rib cage yet internal? I've had pain there for a couple months now. My mom and dad are unsure what it is and think it may just be muscle, but it is internal rather than external.

Quote Originally Posted by silentdreamer1996 View Post
    When it is medical, and more so kidney stones, who can truly blame you, no one. Speaking of medical, by chance is one sign of kidney stones a piercing pain coming from the left side under the rib cage yet internal? I've had pain there for a couple months now. My mom and dad are unsure what it is and think it may just be muscle, but it is internal rather than external.
    Yes, it could very well be a kidney stone. I have a small plastic bag with about 30 of them so call me the voice of experience. I once had an oblong stone lodged cockeyed in my urethra and had to fish it out with the large end of bent paper clip!

Not being a medical professional, I would not rule out another cause for this pain, however.

I should get my parents to get me an appointment to get checked out. Last time I was even examined (and that was for a physical) was back in 2014. I could also get checked to see if I truly have IBS-D.

Backing up a little...You have been diagnosed by a doctor and not self diagnosed? I had a kidney stone and the pain was excruciating. I wasn't ic when I had it but I was in a lot of pain and couldn't wait for it to come out. To my knowledge, most if not all stones can be removed. I'm surprised your doctor is letting you live with them without surgery or treatment.

But yes, IF it comes up, tell him you have stones. I wouldn't bring it up out of the blue, though.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Backing up a little...You have been diagnosed by a doctor and not self diagnosed? I had a kidney stone and the pain was excruciating. I wasn't ic when I had it but I was in a lot of pain and couldn't wait for it to come out. To my knowledge, most if not all stones can be removed. I'm surprised your doctor is letting you live with them without surgery or treatment.

But yes, IF it comes up, tell him you have stones. I wouldn't bring it up out of the blue, though.
    Not all stones are very painful. I have passed some that I did not even know that I had, though my first, like yours, was excruciating. Some women claim that passing stones is worse than giving birth.

Zipper if you mean in relation to my case, I haven't seen a doctor in quite some time and my parents are hesitant to get me checked.