Status
Not open for further replies.

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Suddenly I'm without any real project to work on or keep me busy. I thought a little brainstorming session would help me think of something. I've tried drawing and it was horrible. I can't seem to exchange the idea from my mind on to the paper. Building is usually fun and I came up some crazy or nuts, but lack resources to do that at the moment. Currently I'm burnt out on gaming. I'm bored of my usual researching. I'm only seating here watching YouTube videos. I was writing a story, but have hit writer's block. Boredom sucks.

DarkBabyMagicain said:
Suddenly I'm without any real project to work on or keep me busy. I thought a little brainstorming session would help me think of something. I've tried drawing and it was horrible. I can't seem to exchange the idea from my mind on to the paper. Building is usually fun and I came up some crazy or nuts, but lack resources to do that at the moment. Currently I'm burnt out on gaming. I'm bored of my usual researching. I'm only seating here watching YouTube videos. I was writing a story, but have hit writer's block. Boredom sucks.

Beleve me, We all kinda get there when we just get burnt out, but don't worry something will strike sooner or later, and you will think of something again to do. also i can relate to the bordum thing and being in a creative slump, but you will think of something new in no time. I wish you luck and hope you think of something soon.

In terms of building you could try roblox. It is a free to play game based around lego-like blocks. People have made some pretty amazing things on it from working computers to rpgs. Sorry if advertising about the site, but when it comes to roblox, I call it "Legos without the foot pain."

DarkBabyMagicain said:

Well firstly, perhaps if you're the sort of person who likes to get stuck into lots of different kinds of hobbies it can feel a little dissapointing when you run out of passion, but that is a temporary thing. Perhaps you just need a break. Perhaps not, just worth noting.

In terms of active projects that involve learning new skills, I personally find gardening very satisfying; particularily growing food, making beer is good fun if you drink, drinking beer also good fun and is easier to get started ;), it's never too late to start learning an instrument either, cooking is instantly rewarding if you manage it and can help keep you healthy, you could pick up a physical activity or just get into a gym routine, find some good heavy (or light) reading, or you could go do some exploring outdoors and get some air around you. Just a few ideas.

I wouldn't be so quick to give up drawing though. It can be very rewarding and relaxing. I'd go so far as to say therapeutic! Despite what people seem to think, no-one starts off good at drawing, so try not get frustrated. It takes patience to get a feel for what you're doing and even experienced artists still need to work out new things they've not drawn before often times. Learning how to draw skeleton sketches and using multiple layers (which you can do on paper too) are great tools in drawing, especially for beginners and there is absolutely no shame in learning to draw from other peoples art or from tutorials. Developing an original style comes from inspiration and experimenting, not from your early guesswork.

I used to have a lot of trouble with drawing things from what I imagined to putting it on paper. The reason why it tends to be so hard is because you don't actually know how to draw it.
Think of it like playing an instrument. You can hear the tune and probably even hum it, but if you don't know how to use the instrument, you will not be able to play it even if you can imagine yourself doing so.

The only way to get better at drawing is simply by drawing. If you don't know where to start, I say draw things you see around you. Draw popular characters even if it's a direct copy. Get a little out of your comfort zone decide a character you want to draw, then decide a pose you would like them in. Look to see if you can find references and used those to draw. Continue to do this and eventually you will begin to remember how to draw certain things. Sooner or later you will not need references all the time.

Watch how others draw. There are many people who make youtube videos. You an learn a lot by doing this.

Drawing is something that takes a ton of time and it's one of those things that really has no tips or shortcuts.

Is there a drawing software I could use? I know I could use paper and a pencil, but I have a feeling I could use this more.

DarkBabyMagicain said:
Is there a drawing software I could use? I know I could use paper and a pencil, but I have a feeling I could use this more.

The one used most often that I am aware of is a program called paint tool sai. It's pretty simple, but it's perfect when it comes to drawing as it has many tools that work well for sketching, doing line art and even coloring. It also has a stabilizing tool to make it easier to get cleaner and nice looking lines.

Edit: Using a computer program though would really require having something like a wacom tablet. Trying to use the mouse would be pretty bad and would make your time a whole lot worse.

Also, I do recommend to use paper and pencil when learning, nothing beats it. Also making sure you are drawing at more of an angle, rather then at a flat table, other wise you could end up with a bad habit of drawing everything in an odd perspective.

Are you interested in computers? Ever used GNU/Linux? Setting up your own system and learning how the OS works can be really interesting.

Arch Linux is designed for vaguely technically competent people (even those new-ish to Linux), but it aims to "keep it simple". You start off with a really minimal installation, and then build it up exactly how you like. You can use whichever desktop environment takes your fancy (or none at all). I suppose it's like... Linux in Lego form!

https://www.archlinux.org/

Good fun if you like that kind of thing.

DarkBabyMagicain said:

While using SAI or photoshop opens up a lot of options, particularily in colouring and making adjustments after finishing, it's certainly no easier to use than a pencil and paper. It won't improve your actual drawing and it takes a bit of getting used to drawing something on your tablet while watching a screen. Personally, I wouldn't bother getting one. There's nothing wrong with the old fashioned way and I think it's quite a bit more relaxing. It's something you can do to take you away from the computer when you feel like it.

The quick and easy way to do layers on paper is just to go very light with the pencil, and rub away sketch marks as you replace the lines. The slightly lengthier method involves tracing paper.

SleepingBlueWolf said:
While using SAI or photoshop opens up a lot of options, particularily in colouring and making adjustments after finishing, it's certainly no easier to use than a pencil and paper. It won't improve your actual drawing and it takes a bit of getting used to drawing something on your tablet while watching a screen. Personally, I wouldn't bother getting one. There's nothing wrong with the old fashioned way and I think it's quite a bit more relaxing. It's something you can do to take you away from the computer when you feel like it.

The quick and easy way to do layers on paper is just to go very light with the pencil, and rub away sketch marks as you replace the lines. The slightly lengthier method involves tracing paper.

I pretty much agree with this, but I do believe there is a lot of use in using a tablet. Even if I draw with pencil and paper, I always end up going over it in Sai. It's a lot more flexible than traditional inking. It's a good skill and program to learn once you are more confident in drawing.

I am tinkering with "C" programming with my littleBits Arduino microcontroller coding kit.

caitianx said:
I am tinkering with "C" programming with my littleBits Arduino microcontroller coding kit.

How's that work? C programming has always been on my "to do list" of sorts.

I am a bit new to "C" language programming.
But, I am figuring it out on my own.
Yesterday I got the littleBits w6 Arduino Microcontroller Module to control the servo-motor in the "Coding" Kit my little brother gave me for Christmas.

I do know a little bit about Parallax PBASIC Microcontroller programming.

caitianx said:
Yesterday I got the littleBits w6 Arduino Microcontroller Module to control the servo-motor in the "Coding" Kit my little brother gave me for Christmas.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm a long-time microcontroller hobbyist, but a relative newcomer to Arduino. The whole world of Arduino is a pretty incredible thing. So many add-ons and free code modules and how-tos and all... If you're inclined toward programming and electronics, there's never been a lower-impact way to get your hands dirty and make cool stuff. You'll quickly wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

I do need more littleBits modules to make something useful.
I do have my old LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Set.
The littleBits prototyping system can work with the LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Set.

caitianx said:

Very cool! I do quite a bit of C programming myself. I recommend this for learning it well and quickly: http://www.amazon.com/The-Programming-Language-Brian-Kernighan/dp/0131103628

Good luck. ^_^

I'm restoring a 1972 Harley Davidson.

I have to learn how to:

Powder coat
Electrolytic Plating for chrome
Wiring
DIY Fuel injection
Engine rebuild
Paint

caitianx said:

Nice, I'm messing with cryptography and multitasking in C#

Specifically AES.

CYBERWOLF said:
I'm restoring a 1972 Harley Davidson.

I have to learn how to:

Powder coat
Electrolytic Plating for chrome
Wiring
DIY Fuel injection
Engine rebuild
Paint

One of my former co-workers at the last job I had before retiring on SSDI restored a 1970's vintage Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

It's weird I find something to do, but it won't last. My level of enjoyment dies fast. I hate it. I bought a new PS4 hoping it would help the boredom. It did for a week and died in the last few days. Nothing seems to be holding my interest lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back