Leak Master reusable products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlforpurity

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Has anyone here tried the Leakmaster all in one cloth diapers. I am thinking of buying a few dozen. Are they worth it? Any other products I should get in conjunction with buying these diapers?

You should buy one or two, then decide whether you want another ten or eleven. Never buy a dozen of anything expensive until you've tried it. Same thing goes for dispies; you wouldn't buy a case of something you hadn't even sampled.

And if you mean AGO as in the plastic is attached to the diaper,they are the worst diaper investment you can make because the plastic will dry out and become brittle and break along time before the use full life of the diaper,neccesating buying separate Plastic pants to go over the ones attached to the diaper because they are no longer waterproof,having one or two in the closet for sick/lazy days is OK but a whole fleet of them is money down the drain,and this is universal no matter who makes the AIO.

Ok, I guess your right that ordering a couple aio's. Ok I now need to ask who should order my cloth diapers and plastis pants from, and is Velcro better than pin on diapers.

Velcro is better in that it is faster; pins are better in that they are usually more secure. If you're changing yourself, or if the person changing you has limited dexterity, velcro is a good choice. Pins allow you to push the diaper size envelope a little more, but if they are used incorrectly, wet diapers tend to sag uncomfortably.

Baby Pants (www.baby-pants.com) is a good supplier of pin-on cloth diapers and plastic pants, and there are many others.

The best velcro diapers are arguably the old Indisposables AIOs, which tend to run excessively large, or, if you're looking for a velcro diaper without a cover, try Angel Fluff.

I have 4 AIO leakmaster diapers that i have had gotten good use out of , I purchesed them on amazon, They are sort of hard to dry ,takes a few times in the dryer, other then that I love them when I use them. order them larger then you think you want ...one at first to try like other person said not a dozen .

Should I also consider buying inserts, and what is the best way to go for insert? Is the company Rearz a good place to look at for reusable diapers?

Pretty much any Prefold is pretty good. Determine the layering that you want. Like others have said, AIOs typically won't last as long, not only the plastic baking, but also the Velcro will deteriorate. If you are not comfortable with pins, they're a couple options that I know of. Snappi Fasteners have been good to me. Boingo fasteners are another great option. Also bandage wrap fasteners will work as a cheap alternative as well.

I'll also mention Changing Times Diaper. They are relatively cheap and are excellent quality.

If you tend to live in a humid area and/or sweat quite a bit. I would recommend Peva plastic pants from Baby-Pants. In experience, PVC tends to not last long in humid environments.

Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Dlforpurity said:
Has anyone here tried the Leakmaster all in one cloth diapers. I am thinking of buying a few dozen. Are they worth it? Any other products I should get in conjunction with buying these diapers?

I have not personally tried the AIO diaper yet. I have heard that it is ok. However I am a seamstress and I have been wearing and selling cloth diapers for quite some time now. Here are some things you need to consider when purchasing cloth diapers.

First off is What fits your life the best. There are a lot of different types of cloth diapers that are available. Prefold and plastic pants, AIO, or Pocket diapers. In my opinion prefolds are way to much hassle. They take for ever to wash and dry and they are complicated to put on. An AIO is the easiest to use however they tend to not have enough absorbency. Pocket diapers in my opinion are the easiest to deal with and they offer the best absorbency. Because they are customizable.

Next is what is your washing situation? Do you have easy access to washer and dryer that will not cost you much to run. To properly wash cloth diapers you need a really good washer and you also will need to do more than one wash cycle every time you wash the diapers. At least that is if you want them to stay smelling fresh and working well. You never want to let dirty diaper sit for more than 3-4 days max.

Closure system is one that is not that important but I will point out a few things. Velcro will wear out long before the actual diaper has worn out. It is really not the greatest option if you want your diapers to last a few years. Diaper pins are just hassle and I would Choose Velcro over pins. I personally prefer snap closure systems. They almost always outlast the diaper. Also I like that you can get the exact same fit on the diaper every single time.

I do sell cloth diapers as well if you want to take a look at a different option for cloth diapers. I do use high quality fabrics and I personally sew each diaper that is ordered so you are not getting a diaper that is made in a factory. they may seem priced high but keep in mind that with cloth diapers you get what you pay for. If you buy cheaper ones they will be lower quality. That is just something to keep in mind. We have had raving reviews on our diapers thus far. Anyway I will stop rambling on and give you a couple links to take a look at to help you determine what diaper is best for you.

Information on cloth diapers
http://www.wearing-adult-diapers.com/Adult-Cloth-Diapers.html

Link to our store
https://wearing-adult-diapers-com.myshopify.com

binkygirl said:
In my opinion prefolds are way to much hassle. They take for ever to wash and dry and they are complicated to put on. An AIO is the easiest to use however they tend to not have enough absorbency. Pocket diapers in my opinion are the easiest to deal with and they offer the best absorbency.

Well, hold on there. Let's zoom in on this a bit more. I think it's certainly fair to say that prefolds and flats are more complicated to put on, but diapering oneself is a process that quickly becomes second nature. It's also worth keeping in mind that, as a community dominated by discretionary diaper users, matters of practicality--like how quickly one can slip in and out of a diaper--aren't always the priority. Sometimes they are, but... just sayin'!

But on laundering and absorbency, I think we need to be a bit more careful: Prefolds are just a cloth pad, so calling them complicated to launder is kind of silly. Just like the removable pads in pocket diapers, prefolds wash up well when compared to AIOs, because the water and detergent can penetrate from both sides. Same thing with drying, although prefolds can take longer simply because there's more absorbent material there. And on that note: I'm not sure how pockets could be construed as more absorbent than AIOs or prefolds. Prefolds have absorbent material on the sides (once fastened), which neither pockets nor AIOs can boast. And in all cases, booster pads--or in the case of prefolds, additional diapers--can be added to increase absorbency.

TL;DR: I would say that any of the traditional pin-on sorts of diapers offer the most protection all around. In the battle between AIOs and pockets, pockets win primarily based on ease of laundering and longevity. (The latter because, like prefolds, the fate of the absorbent parts isn't tied to the fate of the waterproof part.)

But the choice between prefolds and pockets/AIOs is, for the average AB/DL, probably an easy one: For those of us who grew up with one or the other, we'll probably be sticking with that. For those transitioning from dispies, the more-traditional sorts of cloth diapers, however functional they may be, are going to seem alien. I love prefolds, but I'd hesitate to steer anybody toward them who isn't inclined. Instead, I would recommend pockets. In a nutshell: They're AIOs, but better.

Well I am not sure how to go about the process of getting cloth diapers. Would you recommend get a couple diapers fron different companies to compare then from there order larger quantities. Then how many cloth diapers should I get to do the job. I plan on at some point reducing the amount of disposable I use a month to hopefully save money.

Well you have to figure what diaper out of the cloth you like best or protects the best and then decide based on your daily output how many you will need combined with how often you are going to wash them and that will give you an idea of how many you will need to buy to have on hand,the less you do wash the more you need and vice versa no matter how many you think you need I always add a fudge factor of at least 4 additional to have in case you are sick or lazy for a day or too,the same applies to Plastic pants my normal pants are blue however I did order so black vinyl ones that are much cheaper so if a pair dies it's not a big issue,now the leading killer of pants is anything petroleum used in the diaper area that will dry out and make the crotch brittle and Crack and any diaper exposed to petroleum needs a good three washes to get rid of it from the diaper.

One thing I am thinking for work is the baby pants training pants with plastic pants. Do you think this would be a good way to go for light to moderate leaking or emergent need to go?

Dlforpurity said:

Last question first: You should buy leak-proof plastic pants to go on top. No diaper is leak-proof, especially not AIO (All-In-One) diapers.

AIOS are cloth diapers with a "leak-proof" outer layer- diaper and plastic pants all in one. Very convenient, but they generally don't work very well. If they are tight enough to contain leaks, they will also be very uncomfortable. The main problem is that the cloth parts will always outlive the "leak-proof" outer layer. You're gonna end up with a perfectly good cloth diaper with a "leak-prone" outer layer.

No big deal! If your old AIOs had rubber, latex, or vinyl outer layers, just cut or tear away dead outer layer and enjoy your new cloth-only diaper.

The Leakmaster AIOs are made with PUL, which is a relatively new material. It's comfortable to touch, laundry-safe, durable, and . . . It leaks. Not much, but if you soak it, it soaks through eventually. If you're had some that have lasted you for years of regular use (like my AIOs!), eventually the PUL layer is at best a filter, that slows the leakage. What's nice about PUL is it never really falls apart like the other materials. If it starts to leak, just throw on a pair of loose plastic pants.

If you are going to wear cloth get some onesies (adult body suits) to keep them supported and from sagging when wet,they are amazing for keeping your diaper wear it needs to be to protect the best.

Have an of you tied the baby pants training pants?

Dlforpurity said:
Have an of you tied the baby pants training pants?

The poor neglected Search box is blubbering like a big baby right now. :)

Yes, these are discussed fairly often. Here's a well-attended topic. I have a couple pairs of the "My First" training pants, and they're very nice and thick and diapery. If you're coming from 'sposies, you should know that these aren't waterproof, so you'll be needing plastic pants or some other kind of diaper cover if you mean to use your trainers like diapers.

Also, play close attention to the sizing. The sizes are given before washing, and if you look at the indicated shrinkage (8-10%), it amounts about one size's worth. So, generally speaking, you'll want to order a size up, because these trainers don't stretch much. Once they're too small for you, they're really uncomfortable or just completely unwearable. I have a 38" waist, and like an idiot (totally missing the note about shrinkage) I ordered a Large the first time. I took it straight out of the box, put it on, and wow! I was in training pants heaven. And then I washed it... :sad:

My second order of an XL--and my third order of another XL--went much better! :)

Maxx said:
My current favorite is a makeshift. A queen size cotton jersey sheet folded multiple times to prefold diaper size (with plastic pants of course). Folded, its as thick as a night weight diaper, and just as absorbent with two outstanding benefits: 1. the material stretches just enough that I can pull on/pull off for #2 without unpinning 2. since it unfolds to single thickness, it dries much faster than any other diaper.

I tried this sheet-as-diaper thing once and it does work quite well. What's great about sheets, as opposed to the way-too-small "adult-sized" flat diapers out there, is that they're large enough to enable experimentation with folding. You can actually do proper kite folds and origami folds and whatnot, and still fit in the diaper when you're done! Imagine that! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back