Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible project/survey I would like to do.

Default Possible project/survey I would like to do.

I think every so often about what kind of things can be done to make life in the AB/DL community a little better, especially for younger people just working their way into self acceptance.

I think something that could be really useful, although would take a lot of work, would be to search for contact information for psychologists throughout the United States, and ask them a few questions, as a survey.

Something like this:

1. Have you ever heard of Adult Babies or Diaper lovers?

2. If so, have you ever been approached by one as part of your profession?

3. What would your advice be toward an Adult Baby or Diaper Lover who is active in this lifestyle, appears to be holding up a job and maintaining a healthy amount of social interaction?

The reason I think a survey like this would be really useful for our community, is that for one, there still seems to be a lot of therapists that are not entirely aware of the details of our lifestyle. Raising awareness with them, may help them be better prepared, as well as encourage them to update their current understanding of what our lifestyle is really about.
    Having a survey would not only expose how much or little of an awareness there is among therapists, and help improve it for people who really should know. But also, it will help improve the comfort that AB/DL's may experience when it comes down to opening up about their little side to their therapist.
    As well, as a side effect, it may help in building up a good list of what therapists are suggestible by our community, and where they reside.

What do you all think?

I'd recommend rather than doing that out of the blue, that you contact a research institution. I'm not sure exactly who would be best. You might consider a psychology program at a university, perhaps start with one of the PHDs who has already written something about ABDLs and explain your interest.

See, I think something like what you're proposing could be a legitimately valuable contribution to the community and to the mental health profession. But, being in a professional position myself (law, not medicine), I'm also aware of the sheer amount of unsolicited spam I get, and I doubt that psychology is too different in that regard. So to do something like that effectively, you'd need to partner with a research institution, and to do that you need to get in touch with someone that knows the field.

Edit: Also, if you'd like some help writing a proposal or initial contact email, I'd be happy to edit and proofread for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I'd recommend rather than doing that out of the blue, that you contact a research institution. I'm not sure exactly who would be best. You might consider a psychology program at a university, perhaps start with one of the PHDs who has already written something about ABDLs and explain your interest.

See, I think something like what you're proposing could be a legitimately valuable contribution to the community and to the mental health profession. But, being in a professional position myself (law, not medicine), I'm also aware of the sheer amount of unsolicited spam I get, and I doubt that psychology is too different in that regard. So to do something like that effectively, you'd need to partner with a research institution, and to do that you need to get in touch with someone that knows the field.

Edit: Also, if you'd like some help writing a proposal or initial contact email, I'd be happy to edit and proofread for you.
    How would somebody convince a research institute that it is something that is worth their time? That does make sense though, and they would probably have quicker access to information like therapist contact info. But what is it that they use to determine what projects they will work on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    How would somebody convince a research institute that it is something that is worth their time? That does make sense though, and they would probably have quicker access to information like therapist contact info. But what is it that they use to determine what projects they will work on?
    Time and money, obviously. I'm not a psychologist, so I can't say in detail what factors go into it. Many of them will actually have a framework for research proposals if you look in the right place. That's why I suggest starting with someone in the field and ideally one of the people that has written on ABDL already. Because your first question shouldn't be "here's my proposal, how do I make this happen?" Instead it should be "How do I prepare a proposal around this idea and who should I talk to?" And for that, you persuade someone by coming across as a passionate and engaged human being who wants to do some good for people and just needs a little helping hand. So, you know, be yourself.

More editing: There was a PHD paper posted here sometime in the last few months, iirc. You might try contacting that person and asking for her advice.

Moar editing: Here you go. https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthre...eresting-study

Time and money, obviously. I'm not a psychologist, so I can't say in detail what factors go into it. Many of them will actually have a framework for research proposals if you look in the right place. That's why I suggest starting with someone in the field and ideally one of the people that has written on ABDL already. Because your first question shouldn't be "here's my proposal, how do I make this happen?" Instead it should be "How do I prepare a proposal around this idea and who should I talk to?" And for that, you persuade someone by coming across as a passionate and engaged human being who wants to do some good for people and just needs a little helping hand. So, you know, be yourself.

More editing: There was a PHD paper posted here sometime in the last few months, iirc. You might try contacting that person and asking for her advice.

Moar editing: Here you go. https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthre...eresting-study
    Well, unfortunately, money isn't a thing I have right now. Maybe there are people who would be interested in this type of thing as a graduate project?

Thanks for the link, i'll have to look at it.

Well, unfortunately, money isn't a thing I have right now. Maybe there are people who would be interested in this type of thing as a graduate project?

Thanks for the link, i'll have to look at it.
    I didn't mean your money, sorry I was being brief to make a point. Basically, think of it this way. Somebody who's a PHD student or recent grad with an interest in ABDLs will help you because you're earnest and they want to help out of the kindness of their heart. But they don't have infinite time, so depending on your luck you could find anything from someone willing to co-lead the project with you to someone that just passes on a name or two and can't help anymore, or anything in between. The most common reaction would be to have a conversation or two and see if the two of you could figure out what to do. Like what I"m doing now, basically, except I'm in the wrong field.

Someone else, like a random researcher at a university, will help if they think you've got something worthwhile and it will lead to furthering their career, or maybe out of the goodness of their hearts if they think there's a legitimate shot of helping people. A very good way to get them to even listen to you at all is through an introduction by someone in the field.

The ultimate purpose being that a survey carried out with the help of someone in the field is likely to get more and better responses and not get ignored. It's not the only way to do it, of course, but I think starting out by asking a contact for help is a good way to start.

I didn't mean your money, sorry I was being brief to make a point. Basically, think of it this way. Somebody who's a PHD student or recent grad with an interest in ABDLs will help you because you're earnest and they want to help out of the kindness of their heart. But they don't have infinite time, so depending on your luck you could find anything from someone willing to co-lead the project with you to someone that just passes on a name or two and can't help anymore, or anything in between. The most common reaction would be to have a conversation or two and see if the two of you could figure out what to do. Like what I"m doing now, basically, except I'm in the wrong field.

Someone else, like a random researcher at a university, will help if they think you've got something worthwhile and it will lead to furthering their career, or maybe out of the goodness of their hearts if they think there's a legitimate shot of helping people. A very good way to get them to even listen to you at all is through an introduction by someone in the field.

The ultimate purpose being that a survey carried out with the help of someone in the field is likely to get more and better responses and not get ignored. It's not the only way to do it, of course, but I think starting out by asking a contact for help is a good way to start.
    Ohhh, ok, well that sounds a little more reasonable to shoot for.

Ask for a government grant! This topic would be more useful than some of the ridiculous projects funded out there! :-/

There was a professor at the University of Minnesota that wrote and published a paper on ABDLs in a journal on sexuality a couple years ago: https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthre...olarly-Article (Actual article is in the 3rd or so post.)

MarchinBunny

My personal thought on this is that it wouldn't have as great of an effect as you might think. The reason why there are many therapists that are not aware of the AB/DL lifestyle is because there are not many AB/DL coming out to their therapists.

One of the biggest reasons for this is because many ab/dl come to accept it, and simply don't feel they need help with it. Those who are younger and are still struggling with it, are unlikely to also talk about it honestly. A good example of this would be if one was wetting the bed or having other related problems to wetting, they would likely be going to a therapist specifically for that and since it's a legitimate problem, there is no way for a therapist to know if they are just an AB/DL who might like wetting.

I am actually saying this from experience, because I have had situations where doctors would make a guess on things, and they never came to the conclusion that I was an AB/DL. They always went with other problems since they are more common. This all leading up to my point is that unless the person specifically opens up and reveals they are an AB/DL ... not much can be done.

Which brings us full circle in the reason why therapists don't generally know about AB/DL ... it's because it's not brought up often enough. It's also one of the reason why we don't know what causes it to begin with. Just not enough people coming forward to test things.

You can raise awareness to all the therapists in the world, and it will not help much because of this. A therapist can't know what you don't tell them, and there is no way for an AB/DL to know if a therapist is even aware of AB/DL, which means they would be reluctant to mention it. You would need it to be a lot like how it's done with being transgender. Therapists would need to mention they have experience with AB/DL in their information before being hired. So if you do end up taking the time to go through all of this, it's something I suggest you try to recommend, other wise it wouldn't really work all that well.

Well, any amount of effort to raise awareness is fine even if it's a little. Just getting people on board with it, isn't going to be easy, and getting therapists to list AB/DL as one of their background skills will be even harder.

Edit: Also you could teach a therapist about signs and stuff, but how would they ever bring it up in a conversation? Someone who isn't AB/DL ... suddenly being asked if they are one, could actually be problematic. Also, not all AB/DL would even know the term AB/DL ... I certainly didn't till I was in my 20s believe it or not. Thus it's not like the therapist can just drop the subtle hint of ab/dl and be done with it. I think most therapist would avoid even bothering trying as it could harm their relationship with their client if they are wrong.

Then on top, even if they are right ... there is no telling if the person in question even wants help with it to begin with and they may get offended that the therapist started getting into that.

It's a pretty complicated thing when you think about it lol.