Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I've finished high school, any advice?

Red face Well, I've finished high school, any advice?

I'm 18, sucks that I had to do high school while 18 had to repeat reception due to my speech delays.

I still remember my first day at school, the first topic we touched was Pirates, and we made pirate hats. yay!

I have very good memory for some reason, its genetic and probs related to my autism, now back onto the subject.

I've had to teach myself a lot of things, like how to apply for a tax file number, and how to do banking and stuff like that.

I'm doing tafe this year, I'm kind of scared, is there anything that I should know or learn before entering the real world?

Is there any advice your guys have? since In a way I'm not really an adult (I'm still a bit of a little at times) and have tons to learn, I'm new to the real world and they don't teach you how to deal with it in high school.

I know this might be a weird question lol, but I feel like there is so much to know, and not knowing everything kind of drives me insane, because I have that desire to seek information.

Even if its something small, like look across the road while crossing, anything will help me.

The best advise I can give you is to just do it. My first job was when I was 11, working in a boat yard. The second job, I was 12, playing organ as the church's organist. After I graduated from high school, I got a job working in a store like Pennys. I worked in the camera department. What you need is the experience of working. You might consider getting a two year Associate's degree from a two year junior college. By doing that, you would have a specific area of training and a major. They offer career counseling which I think might be very helpful to you. Good luck.

I attended and graduated from Wentworth Institute, majoring in Electronics.
    College was more enjoyable for me than High School.

Tafe is a type of vocational training, right? If so, my advice is that you should look for things you love. School lays out for you what you have to do, but college and job training is different. They'll offer you some skills, maybe give a few projects or suggestions, but you have to find what you love about the things you're doing, tell people that, and seek to do more of it.

The greatest advice I can give you is to find the average of your states rent and save at least 6 months( including utilities) that way you can live life with at least a little cushion.

Motivation and a strong work ethic is a must to being financially secure.

Contrary to what most hedge fund managers would say....... for the average person there is no such thing as money for nothing.

Money will not buy you happiness but you need money to be happy.

Your at an exciting time in your life. What you choose to do now will probably dictate the direction the rest of your life is going to go. Do not.... I repeat.... do not do "nothing". You need to get on the horse right away or you may just never get on it. Get a job doing anything. Preferable in a field you are interested in... but, any job is better than doing nothing. If you think you want further education, now is a good time to think about it. Again if you apply to a bunch of schools.... dont just sit around waiting to hear back.... get a job and dont just do "nothing".

Have you though about the military? I enlisted in highschool and was at basic 1 week after the last day of school. Hardest thing I ever did in my life... would I do it again? Damn straight I would. It unstuck my head from my ass... I can say that.

I wish you luck. Its a much tougher world out there then when I was your age. Getting started on your own is super tough these days. Just remember "doing nothing" is the worst thing you could do.

Be motivated and Tenacious, identify your Weaknesses and work on them, don't let this World get you down. One foot in front of the other and just go from there.

If you're going to school afterwards, stay in school. Take it from me, I'm goinh back to school after a 5 year hiatus and I can easily say I regret it very much. It's a lot harder now since it's been so long and I'm still so very far behind at age 24. Meanwhile I know of a diaperfur who's going for a second degree already and he's only 23.

So again, my advice is to stay in school and get ahead in life.

Be careful about going into Debt. Only do it for education, and only if you KNOW that you'll be able to pay it back. Otherwise, staying in school is just digging yourself into debt without ever figuring out "what I want to do when I grow up".

Hint. Most people never figure it out. It's a growing process, not a destination!