more DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course, DIY isn't all plain sailing:

if you remember my coffee machine,
View attachment 25774
when the thermal fuse blew? well, the heating element blew, recently.
what should be a straightforward fix turned into :wallbash: as nobody local stocks the chinese-made part. sure, they're available on Aliexpress for £3-odd each, but only when you buy a minimum order of ten. and then add shipping and taxes....
cost-wise, i've figured that it's better to buy a whole new machine and then swap over the heating element. "wait a fecking minute!!!!" you shout. i know, but new machines have shorter heating cycles, due to EU energy-saving directives; and i have to say that 30 mins just doesn't work. so, i would like to keep the old one going, and just because it's also better than the cheapish one i bought from Argos. Asda have a cheaper one, £10, but it's also a lower wattage. still, it may be handy to have a spare whilst i fiddle around?
and, whilst mulling over such things, it also occurred to me that i could just as easily, and more cheaply, simply make the necessary modifications to the timing circuit on any new machine. "hmm :chin:", he says, "but the old one just looks classier".
of course, i could just as easily keep turning on the cheapo machine every 30 mins, as needed (which is what i'm currently doing; and only because some bozo is sat on the EU gravy-train, being paid tens of thousands for coming up with stupid ideas).

but forget all that, first i'm going to see if i can re-wire the element :cool:
got visitors, though: life on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back