Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Is peace impossible

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxx said:
Nope, not possible.

At the macro level there may be peace in the sense of no armed conflict between nations for periods of time. That's happened in the past. Its even possible that there could be a one-world government at some point. Even then, there are bound to be conflicts between individuals, between individuals and groups, and the government versus individuals/groups that feel they're being screwed, think they can do it better, or simply don't like being told what to do.

People are individuals and don't see eye to eye on everything.

As a response I'll leave you with this,

wether it be Man, Woman or Child from any nation, in our history on this earth . We have seen more of our fair share of violence on every continent . Even today it is possible to see the atrocities of man by simply playing a game. I implore you that unless we take a better stance on what we believe to be possible and look at our history in a new perspective well end up destroying ourselves. It take more than one person to do something about it.

Last edited:
And shouldn't we at least talk about it . It seems to me that only children talk about this (see what I did there). I think that the more we become aware of this the more dialogue we can get

tai said:
And shouldn't we at least talk about it . It seems to me that only children talk about this (see what I did there). I think that the more we become aware of this the more dialogue we can get

Talking about it is one thing. Actually accomplishing it is a another thing. I think the reason adults don't talk about it often is because they have already thought about it enough and most people all come to the same conclusion. It's simply not possible. You can probably get close, but I doubt you will ever have any that resembles complete world peace.

brabbit1987 said:
Talking about it is one thing. Actually accomplishing it is a another thing. I think the reason adults don't talk about it often is because they have already thought about it enough and most people all come to the same conclusion. It's simply not possible. You can probably get close, but I doubt you will ever have any that resembles complete world peace.

Oh I'm not saying this will solve everything but it should be a beginning. The problem with only including world leaders in world talks is that there only temporary, and also they can often let there own desires and judgements get in the way. the more people willing to talk about something on a more global scale the more potential the is for any conversation to take hold.

ArchieRoni said:
This hasn't been linked yet. Radiolab did a really great examination about the nature of violence in people. Worth a listen. http://www.radiolab.org/story/91694-new-baboon/

listening right now this is interesting to say the least. Tragedy seems to help lead to new alternatives.

Last edited:
I think a worldwide understanding is more possible than world peace. Even only an understanding will be hard to achieve and sustain. I doubt this idea too, because there isn't anything to help this happen (Yet) World peace is a pipe dream and nothing more at this point in time.

DarkBabyMagicain said:
I think a worldwide understanding is more possible than world peace. Even only an understanding will be hard to achieve and sustain. I doubt this idea too, because there isn't anything to help this happen (Yet) World peace is a pipe dream and nothing more at this point in time.

I can't deny that. When it comes to peace ,humans, don't really welcome the idea unless they have a reason.Which is precisely why I wanna talk to people. Humans are naturally selfish, but that is our greatest advantage as well as there weakness what you choose to do is your choice but when you realise that it effects not only you but hwo you care about. what do you think can happen. It's the main reason why wars are fought in the first place. I'm not saying that just talking about it will do any major damage . but I wanna see the actions and paths people will take to try to make it happen for themselves.to put it simply:

What we got now aint workin.

It is arrogant and stupid of mankind to believe we are the end dominant form of intelligence in this universe. Peace will come when when the AI machines we create have wiped us out.

Nam Repaid said:
It is arrogant and stupid of mankind to believe we are the end dominant form of intelligence in this universe. Peace will come when when the AI machines we create have wiped us out.

I actually believe this scenario is incredibly unlikely. We are more likely to integrate ourselves with the machines if anything, to prevent being wiped out.

brabbit1987 said:
I actually believe this scenario is incredibly unlikely. We are more likely to integrate ourselves with the machines if anything, to prevent being wiped out.

At the rate were going aliens would probably get us before that.

I know people throw out the trope that if there no religion there would be less war, but there have been plenty of wars in which combatants on both sides were of the same faith. Cultural divide goes much deeper.

There will eventually be peace. It will just take time. A lot of socially backwards people need to die (of natural causes) and be buried. I do tend to pin quite a bit of it on religion, because so much hatred and violence seems to emanate from differences of religion. But then as long as the world is dependent on Mideast oil, the world will be pumping gazillions of dollars into a socially stagnant region of the world, which will then have little incentive to embrace more-worldly positions. So as much as I love to disparage religion by itself, I think the mixture of money and religion is far worse. Eventually Ghawar Field in Saudi Arabia will run out of oil, as will other similar operations. When that starts to happen, I think the peace process will accelerate considerably.

pattymac90 said:
I know people throw out the trope that if there no religion there would be less war, but there have been plenty of wars in which combatants on both sides were of the same faith. Cultural divide goes much deeper.

Another aspect to this would be money as we increase our social standing in the world money would become a major problem. Like the minimum wage gap for example If America and the rest of the world were able to raise the minimum wage to an appropriate living amount ($15 for us) we never seem to take in account the process of inflation as the price of good would also increase to match the wage increase. we must find a way to bring down the standard cost of living in order to survive.

pattymac90 said:

If there was no religion, I would say it's logical to conclude there would be less war. It wouldn't prevent it of course, as there is always other reasons to go to war for. But it would still subtract at least one of the reasons. Religion itself though is a pretty big contributor non the less. It's also a pretty big contributor to hatred that is spread because peoples religions condone it. As such they believe it's their right to do it because their religion says it's ok.

brabbit1987 said:
If there was no religion, I would say it's logical to conclude there would be less war. It wouldn't prevent it of course, as there is always other reasons to go to war for. But it would still subtract at least one of the reasons. Religion itself though is a pretty big contributor non the less. It's also a pretty big contributor to hatred that is spread because peoples religions condone it. As such they believe it's their right to do it because their religion says it's ok.

Religion wasn't really a direct cause of most wars and ironically it also gave birth to logic as well. Making some of us question the reason why we exist in the first place eventually giving birth to science and what we have today. An example would be WWII. The main reason why Germany and japan were mostly starting war was primarily for food. even there alliance was one of convenience food shortages had left them with little to no choice.

tai said:
Religion wasn't really a direct cause of most wars and ironically it also gave birth to logic as well. Making some of us question the reason why we exist in the first place eventually giving birth to science and what we have today.

Never said it contributes to most wars, just some. Also, religion didn't give birth to logic, that is a silly claim. No idea where you came up with that idea.

brabbit1987 said:
Never said it contributes to most wars, just some. Also, religion didn't give birth to logic, that is a silly claim. No idea where you came up with that idea.

People have always had the desire to know where they came from and coincidentally religion was formed from the stories of many people and even those may have some truth to them. But a story without any basis to go on can make anyone question how anything is created. Most people don't simply follow anything blindly without any proof. So naturally from stories question can become answers with more questions. And can't questions become desire to learn? Wouldn't that be the beginning of science naturally also?

tai said:
People have always had the desire to know where they came from and coincidentally religion was formed from the stories of many people and even those may have some truth to them. But a story without any basis to go on can make anyone question how anything is created. Most people don't simply follow anything blindly without any proof. So naturally from stories question can become answers with more questions. And can't questions become desire to learn? Wouldn't that be the beginning of science naturally also?

You are putting the cart before the horse. Yes, religion obviously contributed to peoples curiosities and such, but it certainly didn't birth logic. The definition of logic is reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity. This would occur with or without religion. People would ask why they exist also without religion, in fact as you said it's why religion was likely created in the first place. People always want to know why and how things work.

brabbit1987 said:
You are putting the cart before the horse. Yes, religion obviously contributed to peoples curiosities and such, but it certainly didn't birth logic. The definition of logic is reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity. This would occur with or without religion. People would ask why they exist also without religion, in fact as you said it's why religion was likely created in the first place. People always want to know why and how things work.

I'm not saying that it was The direct Cause of logic But it was one of the most important aspects of it. Questioning where one comes from is a natural aspect of life. but all of our reasoning comes from stories even our own human history are stories because we can only make assumptions based on what
we know from books and what people wrote in them. So science and religion can basically be two halves of the same hole.
I mean I just can't really see a world without religion without stories.

tai said:
I'm not saying that it was The direct Cause of logic But it was one of the most important aspects of it. Questioning where one comes from is a natural aspect of life. but all of our reasoning comes from stories even our own human history are stories because we can only make assumptions based on what
we know from books and what people wrote in them. So science and religion can basically be two halves of the same hole.
I mean I just can't really see a world without religion without stories.

I really don't understand exactly what it is you are trying to say.

Reasoning does not come from stories. Defining reason as the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic. In other words, you can read a story, but the only way reason comes from it is if you have some type of logical bases for that too happen, such as evidence of some sort. This is why it's not reasonable to believe in the bible simply because it exists.

I also don't know what you mean by science and religion being two halves of the same hole. In what way? They are more like complete opposites. They don't even work well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back