Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Diapers have a best before

Default Do Diapers have a best before

Hi

Because I don't get to use my diapers as often as I would like, I was wondering do diapers get harder- ie lose their shape and absorbency after a while or not?

A few in the business have answered that and given the same information. Yes, diapers do have a "best if used by" date. Plastics lose their elasticity, glues that hold things like leg gathers, elastic bands, and tapes on fail, tape adhesives can either become too sticky (impossible to peel back tape) or lose adhesiveness (pull off the back or fail to stick on the front), and elastic bands lose elasticity or become prone to breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    A few in the business have answered that and given the same information. Yes, diapers do have a "best if used by" date. Plastics lose their elasticity, glues that hold things like leg gathers, elastic bands, and tapes on fail, tape adhesives can either become too sticky (impossible to peel back tape) or lose adhesiveness (pull off the back or fail to stick on the front), and elastic bands lose elasticity or become prone to breaking.
    Doesn't it take quite a while for that to happen though? I'm pretty sure as long as your diapers are kept in a dry (not humid) and climate controlled environment, they'll be ok for at least five years.

You still see pictures of people wearing the old blue tape Attends pop up occasionally. Those haven't even been made for what, almost a decade now? I think as long as you treat your diapers with caution they will last for some time.

Given close to ideal storage (vacuum packed in a temperature and humidity controlled environment not exposed to UV radiation/sunlight), diapers stand to stay usable for far longer than anyone would normally expect. However, conditions normally encountered when digging out diapers from deep storage are far from ideal and in most cases still reveals usable diapers. It is why thrift store finds are a bit of a gamble when you do find them, you just don't know where they come from; especially if the packaging has been breached/opened.

TL;DR
    Good by date is typically years from the manufacture date.

What about diapers still sealed in their packaging? Anyone have an idea of how long they'd be good for? Are we talking 1-2 years, or 5-10 years? Would silica gel packets make a difference?

Good question OP!

This is an excellent question and one I think about often. I built myself an oak storage cabinet (the size I wanted prefab does not exist) for my collection of diapers. The storage cabinet has doors and is inside my walk-in closet, sun light is not an issue! I have some vintage diapers that I plan on keeping for a while and maybe wearing some day, provided they last! Some packages seem to be sealed completely shut (not too worried about those) while others have "breathable" holes cut into the plastic bag, like my original Tena slip maxi packs. I live in a relatively dry climate (Prescott, Arizona) considered to be a "high desert" and didn't know if I should be concerned with a lack of humidity? I know too much humidity would be bad but wouldn't a lack of humidity also be bad, too dry? Should I buy vacuum seal bags for my single diapers instead of just using large Ziploc bag to store them?

I've never noticed any degredation. I store my diapers in my closet, bagged until I start in using them. As such, they're out of the light and in a relatively stable temperature environment. I have some that go back 2-5 years and they seem fine. I used one of my last nice Attends a few years back which would have been about a decade old and it seemed just as viable as I remembered.

I found some 25 year old attends at a thrift shop. Other than having to use two hands to pry the tapes from the backing in order to keep from ripping them, I didn't have any problems.

Default Do Diapers have a best before

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I've never noticed any degredation. I store my diapers in my closet, bagged until I start in using them. As such, they're out of the light and in a relatively stable temperature environment. I have some that go back 2-5 years and they seem fine. I used one of my last nice Attends a few years back which would have been about a decade old and it seemed just as viable as I remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    I found some 25 year old attends at a thrift shop. Other than having to use two hands to pry the tapes from the backing in order to keep from ripping them, I didn't have any problems.
    I'm relieved to hear this. It'd suck if stashes could "go bad" so to speak. Glad that most likely won't be the case.