Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie Passed Away

Default David Bowie Passed Away

David Bowie just passed away after an eighteen month battle with cancer. He was sixty nine years old.

In my view, the music world has lost one of its most innovative, iconic and influential artists of all time.

When Bowie came onto the music scene in the late sixties, he was often described as a 'gender bender' or androgynous because of his unique style that defied categorization. He spoke for those of us who felt like misfits in the world. For me, as a young thirteen year old who was struggling with his sexual identity and so afraid of turning out gay in a world that was still brutal to gays and lesbians, he gave me hope.

His music, which was referred to as glam rock back then, just blew my mind, from innovative rock and soul combined with blues and jazz. Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Space Oddity, Fame, Heroes, so many timeless classics. His last album 'Blackstar' was just released on Friday and I spent most of yesterday morning listening to it. It was a real return to form for Bowie who always walked his own path.

Somewhere up there in sky, there's a Starman looking down on us. May he rest in peace.

Last edited by Starrunner; 11-Jan-2016 at 12:33.

I woke up this morning and saw it on the news. I am shocked and saddened by the news. It's another person I grew up with (music wise) and can't believe he's gone. I had no idea he was so sick. Such a sad loss for the world of music and the world in general. So much talent!

Fortunately for us, he didn't flame out early as did too many of his contemporaries. Lets not forget his other creative ventures, notably "Labrynth". I'm told he did a bit on Sponge Bob as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PyjamaBoy View Post
    Seems like yesterday....and a million years ago at the same time..... doing my homework and listening to that on AM radio.

I only just learned he's gone. This one hits pretty hard for someone I've never met. I'd say RIP, but he didn't seem to like resting much. I'm going to miss having new and different things from him. Thanks for everything, Mr. Bowie.

It's raining outside my window, a very cold rain...and it's apt. I received a text saying David had passed away and it stunned me. The only things that came to mind were (a) how such a great entertainer and human being--who could reach so many generations--could go like this...and (b) how I'd like to rip Robert Stigwood a new one for allowing the script writers of Saturday Night Fever to mercilessly, maliciously shred David Bowie in that movie.

For the latter, it matters not: disco came and went, Bowie lived on. That says volumes in itself. And he more than just lived: he excelled, thrived, defined, innovated, challenged, conquered. You'll never find many talents like him, who are so above it all and uncontained by an era...and I doubt any so-called 'talents' of this point in history will ever come remotely close.

You've earned your rest, Sir...please rest peacefully.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	David_Bowie_1976-rev.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	25222

Yes, a major pop music icon is gone.
    I still like his music.

Ashes to ashes. Funk to funky.

The man was nothing short of a legend. It's the first time I think I've had news of a celebrity passing away, and genuinely been deeply shocked and saddened by it

I didn't know he was ill either; part of me wonders if he was holding out for his new album release...

The word Iconic also applies. I remember the first time I heard him. My wife and I along with a number of other young counselors were working with our church high school youth group at summer camp. One of the guys had brought a new album that had just come out. This was in the '70s. It was Ziggy Stardust, and I was blown away by it.

Bowie was not only a great musician, but a great showman. So many who have come after like Madonna and Lady Gaga have given him credit for their glam and pushing boundaries. I admire the great singers like Billy Joel and Elton John, but I stand in awe to the pioneers like Bowie and others. As a side note. I heard a cut from his new album and I was surprised that his voice sounded like he was 25 instead of 69. That too is quite amazing.