Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obamacare got "repealed" for the 62nd time today...

Default Obamacare got "repealed" for the 62nd time today...

As usual, congress "repealed" Obamacare "again"...
    I thought there were other more important business that needs to be done by congress.
    Today marks the 62nd time "ObamaCare" has been repealed by congress.
    As I see it, since congress has not done jack-shit since 2009, they do not deserved to be paid.

Well, as soon as Hillary is President and Clintoncare is enacted, they'll stop trying to repeal Obamacare.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Well, as soon as Hillary is President and Clintoncare is enacted, they'll stop trying to repeal Obamacare.
    Clintoncare LOL.. I can only imagine what that would've been if it was during Bill Clinton's run.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorPenguin View Post
    Clintoncare LOL.. I can only imagine what that would've been if it was during Bill Clinton's run.
    You needn't imagine. It was detailed in the congressional hearings of the day. *tries vainly to locate the "vomit" emoji*

At this point, Congress trying to defund Obamacare is nothing but a waste of time. They know they won't overturn it, but they keep trying anyways because otherwise, Congress would do nothing but fundraise for their corrupted campaigns so they can stay in office and do the rest of Corporate America's bidding. It's pretty much just accepted that Congress is awful, corrupt to the core, and radically gerrymandered. We need a total clean out and getting rid of 95% of everyone in office, except that's not going to happen.

It would be nice if it meant something, but its just a bullet point for campaign resumes. Where were the gonads a few years ago?

Boy I'm glad I live in uk with free health care already

Quote Originally Posted by parcelboy2 View Post
    Boy I'm glad I live in uk with free health care already
    Free health care? You mean those poor doctors Don't get paid for their services?

I know the way healthcare is done differently in the UK in that it is subsidized by taxes but the US hates tax increases. The whole Obamacare deal is designed to create a UK based system without making it a tax. It failed on that front but it is accomplishing what it's trying to do. It's just going to *upset* a majority in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by arcituthis View Post
    Free health care? You mean those poor doctors Don't get paid for their services?

I know the way healthcare is done differently in the UK in that it is subsidized by taxes but the US hates tax increases. The whole Obamacare deal is designed to create a UK based system without making it a tax. It failed on that front but it is accomplishing what it's trying to do. It's just going to *upset* a majority in the process.
    The ACA / Obamacare is really nothing like the NHS. It's insurance subsidy / an individual mandate / insurance reform, not a state run healthcare system (the closest thing to the NHS in the US is the VA healthcare system). The US under the ACA is closer to the Swiss / Dutch / Japanese model (but obviously all four have major differences). The ACA + the individual mandate would be similar to what Australia has.

Quote Originally Posted by arcituthis View Post
    The whole Obamacare deal is designed to create a UK based system without making it a tax.
    No. Obamacare does very explicitly raise taxes - but most of the funding mechanism only hits extremely high earners. Namely, there is a 3.8% tax on capital gains above 200K (single) / 250K (married filing jointly), and a 0.9% Medicare withholding surtax on earned income above 200K (single) / 250K (married filing jointly).

Due mainly to these taxes, the bill pays for itself entirely and in fact modestly reduces the deficit in both the 10-year budget window from enactment as well as longer budget windows. This has undercut one route to attacking it and greatly complicates a repeal that attempts to use Budget Reconciliation in the Senate to repeal it with 50 votes, because repealing the bill outright in its entirety would increase the deficit.

I would imagine most people are unaware of these taxes because they aren't affected by them. If you Google them, you mainly get articles from business journalism and investment management firms. The number of people who realize more 250K in purely passive income in a given calendar year to reach the higher marginal capital gains rate is very small and exceedingly wealthy.

Between the expiration of the Bush tax cuts for income above 400/450K and the Obamacare surtaxes, the tax code has returned to roughly the distribution it had during the Clinton administration, an aspect of the Obama Administration's policy legacy that's hasn't gotten many headlines.
    Last edited by Fruitkitty; 09-Jan-2016 at 20:26.