Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Specific questions about Cloth

  1. #1
    Gaunt

    Question Specific questions about Cloth

    I have a few very specific questions about Cloth diapers before I see about buying one or two in the near future.

    What are the washing requirements like? Am I able to throw them immediately in the washing machine after use? Or do I need to let them soak/rinse them off before hand?

    Also is there any special detergent I need? Or can I just use any old kind? (Obviously no fabric softener)

    And do they dry well in the dryer?

    I've been trying to read through a few threads and different articles, but none of them really pertained to just the bare method of doing it. Seeing as I'm still living at home and I don't really have the time/budget to do any sort of fancy washing methods I've seen out there.

  2. #2

    Default

    I understand. Its ok to use and throw them right into the washer with whatever and dry in the dryer.
    What kind of cloth diaper you get can make a difference though.. old fashioned prefold ones are easy. I define those as a non waterproof diaper that you cover with waterproof pants. Use, throw in wash then dryer till done.
    Next are 'modern cloth diapers' There are two types for the purposes of your question, pockets and all in ones -(AIO's), with pockets you stuff the diaper shell with a diaper or insert, use it, separate it and wash/dry it like the old fashioned ones.
    I don't recommend you try the AIO's now. they are thick, take a long time to dry and will drag out dryer time greatly.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi - I basically use a contoured cloth diaper. The ones I use have elastic legs with an elastic back. The fit feels incredible. I am incontinent and I soak them in the tub with a mild detergent and hand wash them. I wring as much as I can out, throw them in the washer in wring cycle and then dry them in the dryer for about an hour or a little more if needed at medium heat. I'll usually change into one right away. A fresh warm diaper on is heavenly!

  4. #4

    Default

    I just drop mine in the shower rince them when i take my shower then in the washer.
    If they start to pick up an orders then they need to be stripped.
    Wash with a little vinegar hot with borax soap.
    You need to wash them a 4-5 times to get them fuffy and ready for use when you first get them.
    Nothing like it :-)

  5. #5

    Default

    i usually give them a rinse before laundering as normal with my other clothes (you to be careful to balance the load so that the machine doesn't dance about the kitchen). i also often add washing-up liquid (yeah, the dishwashing kind) especially if i've used a lot of cream and extra hot water (as the towels absorb more than your everyday clothing).

    with the absorption and dancing points in mind, when the machine begins it's spin cycle after rinsing (your machine may rinse twice before doing the final spin cycle), it's worth keeping an eye on how much water has been spun out on the first bit of spinning (before the full speed begins) as you may need to pause the cycle to allow retained water to drain from your diapers/nappies/ towels. 'pause' on our machine is the on/off button, but some machines have a 'pause' button.

    oh, and with extra soap i use, i also have to do extra rinse cycles.

  6. #6
    Gaunt

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by drawer View Post
    old fashioned prefold ones are easy. I define those as a non waterproof diaper that you cover with waterproof pants. Use, throw in wash then dryer till done.
    Next are 'modern cloth diapers' There are two types for the purposes of your question, pockets and all in ones -(AIO's), with pockets you stuff the diaper shell with a diaper or insert, use it, separate it and wash/dry it like the old fashioned ones.
    I don't recommend you try the AIO's now. they are thick, take a long time to dry and will drag out dryer time greatly.
    Would you have any good links to US sites I could find good prefold ones? I was looking at ABDL factory and saw some nice velcro strapped/pull-on ones. I wasn't sure if these would fit well on me, and I'd rather purchase from the US to make shipping and purchasing a lot easier.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by Paddedfanny View Post
    Hi - I basically use a contoured cloth diaper. The ones I use have elastic legs with an elastic back. The fit feels incredible. I am incontinent and I soak them in the tub with a mild detergent and hand wash them. I wring as much as I can out, throw them in the washer in wring cycle and then dry them in the dryer for about an hour or a little more if needed at medium heat. I'll usually change into one right away. A fresh warm diaper on is heavenly!
    Do you know what specific brand it is? And do you think I would get a decent level of clean if I just rinsed them/wrung them out when I showered? I have a mild OCD problem that's unrelated to diapering, it causes me to shower 2-3 times a day. And this is when I change the most, so anything I could do in the shower with them would be incredibly optimal as well as private seeing as I'm still living at home at the moment.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'm also a dumbo and forgot to ask other questions besides washing, seeing as that was by far my largest concern when I first started the thread.

    How absorbant would your typical cloth diaper be? Right now I don't even use proper disposables, just doubled up depends. And I'm content with how much these hold, just not the quality of the fit and other obvious things about depends.

    And I've heard that plastic pants and cloth work well for side sleepers when it comes to wetting in bed/while you're sleeping. Is there any specific brand of either plastic pants or cloth diaper that would be ideal for this? Or would any old combo be reasonable at it?

  7. #7

    Default

    To keep it simple I'd order a twill prefold from "Changing Times Diaper Co" in small or a medium if your waist is 34" or more.
    CTDC also has plastic pants but they are made by Gary mfg an I think have scratchy elastic add that and some pins and you're set. also-
    "Babykins" in Canada has my favorite pants. the #10300V I think, its a very light, $12 thats like the old fashioned kind.
    I cant do links but those two companys are easy to find and great to do business with!
    Last edited by drawer; 04-Jan-2016 at 17:37. Reason: misspelling

  8. #8

    Default

    If doing laundry is going to be a pain your best bet are thin prefolds or flatfolds and plastic pants. Thin is the key, thick ones take forever to dry. If you want thicker you add more layers. You need to learn to fold and pin them but you can just put them in the wash with some regular clothing or towels. For plastic pants you either wash them with the diapers and hang to dry or hand wash and hang to dry.

  9. #9
    Gaunt

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by drawer View Post
    To keep it simple I'd order a twill prefold from "Changing Times Diaper Co" in small or a medium if your waist is 34" or more.
    CTDC also has plastic pants but they are made by Gary mfg an I think have scratchy elastic add that and some pins and you're set. also-
    "Babykins" in Canada has my favorite pants. the #10300V I think, its a very light, $12 thats like the old fashioned kind.
    I cant do links but those two companys are easy to find and great to do business with!
    That sounds perfect, and these are really cheap too. Are there any good pins I can buy instore? I wanna limit what I buy online as much as possible, seeing as I'll be having it delivered to a friend. I don't wanna burden him.

    Do you know how well these would hold up if I slept in them? specifically if I wet on my side while wearing them with the plastic pants?

  10. #10

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-May-2014, 00:47
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-May-2012, 23:27
  3. Questions about cloth
    By PrincessAshley in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2011, 04:15
  4. Seeking specific cloth prefold recommendation
    By Cottontail in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-Aug-2011, 05:47
  5. Cloth questions
    By Bigbabybret in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2011, 00:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.