Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: human extinction good or bad

Default human extinction good or bad

Here something to think about we are over population of the earth with limited resources for us and other species. Mankind has become greedy and destructed to the only place we call home. We polluted air , land , and even water bend repair and also kill and eat anything we want without thinking about the Consequences of are action to effect it has on us and any other living things.

So here doomsday scenario if we only a few months to live from in coming comet or asteroid . Should we try to stop it or let it wipe the slate clean and earth start over again.

It maybe crazy but would let wipe out everything to give planet fresh start again from all destruction we cause.

I can foresee a relatively few actual extinction scenarios for humans. Even the worst mass-extinction events of Earth's past weren't enough to wipe the slate clean. Many species survived, even without the benefit of human intelligence.

So our numbers may decline dramatically, and we may become slaves to our own technology, living in artificial atmospheres and eating synthetic foods, but we'll still be here--for better or worse.

MarchinBunny

I don't see any reason to let ourselves go extinct. Sure we have limited resources ... on earth. But who says we are going to stay on earth forever?

Also, there actually is still plenty of room on earth, and plenty of resources. It's just a matter of doing things correctly. Rather than farming horizontally, we should be farming vertically. No sun required, we already have better alternatives than the sun to grow plants.

As for killing and eating anything we want, that is because we are no different than any other animal. We need to eat, and eating requires killing something. Us going extinct isn't going to stop other animals from killing and eating.

Point I am making here is, there are much better solutions. Humans are capable of a lot. We keeping growing smarter. Eventually we will likely hit a point where all the bad humans have caused will be solved and reversed. On top of that, we will likely make things better.

Humans are actually pretty capable of doing a lot of good in the world, not only bad things.

How is this a real question? Human extinction would be terrible.

A planet of dirty cities is infinitely better than a pristine world inhabited only by unthinking animals.

The last Mass-Extinction event that affected us humans was ~ 74,000 years ago, when the Toba Super-Volcano Caldera exploded.
    It cut down the number and type of hominid species down to a few thousand individuals living in Sub-Saharan Africa.
    Something like this will happen again sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbearboy View Post
    Here something to think about we are over population of the earth with limited resources for us and other species. Mankind has become greedy and destructed to the only place we call home. We polluted air , land , and even water bend repair and also kill and eat anything we want without thinking about the Consequences of are action to effect it has on us and any other living things.

So here doomsday scenario if we only a few months to live from in coming comet or asteroid . Should we try to stop it or let it wipe the slate clean and earth start over again.

It maybe crazy but would let wipe out everything to give planet fresh start again from all destruction we cause.
    To what end? Why is a mere rock among billions (trillions?) worthy of special consideration on its own merit? If there is a way to stop or deflect.... then of course. It's in everyone's DNA to 1. continue the species and 2. continue their own existence.

Quote Originally Posted by caitianx View Post
    The last Mass-Extinction event that affected us humans was ~ 74,000 years ago, when the Toba Super-Volcano Caldera exploded.
    It cut down the number and type of hominid species down to a few thousand individuals living in Sub-Saharan Africa.
    Something like this will happen again sometime in the future.
    There is also the threat of asteroid strikes, supernovas, supervolacnos, superbugs, and illnesses spreading due to people not vaccinating there kids.

Considering viruses evolve and change just slightly enough that the body has to build up an immunity to such viruses, there could be a time where things like anti-botics and vaccines become useless due to the virus evolving so much that the vaccines & antibiotics become useless for anything.

I know this might a bit cold, but something like 99% of all species that ever lived are all gone, I cannot predict the fate of the human race, but even if we were to make it to other planets, we have to consider that the universe itself might have a limited life span, which means that the human race will die out anyway.

The thing is as a race we're so adaptable that I don't think we will ever go extinct. I get the idea that the universe has a limited lifespan, and that the big freeze and then big crunch will probably kill us, but that's talking about billions of years, and who knows how advanced we'd be by then? Space travel is a relatively new idea, it took us just 60 years to get from the first plane to the first man in space. And just recently the american government has given NASA a larger budget and some of it specially for a Mars colony. I think you can underestimate how we seem to be able to grow and advance exponentially, take moores law;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transistor_Count_and_Moore's_Law_-_2011.svg.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	25165
    (Its a log scale so it is doubling every sixth months)

With this I believe it won't be too long till we create a mars base, and then colonise (I'd give it a century or so tbh but thats short relatively to our extinction). And until then i agree with brabbit, we're good innovators and damn good at surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
    And until then i agree with brabbit, we're good innovators and damn good at surviving.
    Depending on how you break down the taxonomy, there are forms of life that have been on the planet 100x longer than humans, and many others that lasted a long time then went poof. Clever innovators? Sure. Survivors? Remains to be seen.

Innovation is a double-edged sword. Our knowledge of tool use, ie, physics and engineering, has exploded (pun intended) within the last 100 years to the point where we could off ourselves as a species as fast as an asteroid strike could do the job. Maybe faster.