Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Colleges... Any ideas?

  1. #1

    Default Colleges... Any ideas?

    Well, I'm looking for a college to go to. I've already got plans, to attend a 2 year school to take required classes, and then transfer to a 4 year, but I'm not sure if it's the best I can do.

    I have a 3.6 GPA in high school, and a 4.0 GPA in the college classes I've taken so far, and got a 1900 on my SAT. I'm currently looking to go to a community college (and am taking some advanced classes there, right now, while still in high school, and will have 17 college credits total at the end of the year.), and am planning to transfer to RIT (RIT - Risk Management - Consumer Advocacy). I am looking to go for a degree in the IT field, something to do with computers (perhaps as a programmer, or a 3D designer, or a CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)/ computer security analyst, if I could manage that (Yes I know, not proper field names, just very casual descriptions.)

    Do you have any other reccommendations for me as to where would be a good school (preferrably in NY, but any state would be okay, really.) Like, what would be the best school I could get into with my grades? This whole thing is really confusing to me.

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    Well, I'm looking for a college to go to. I've already got plans, to attend a 2 year school to take required classes, and then transfer to a 4 year, but I'm not sure if it's the best I can do.

    I have a 3.6 GPA in high school, and a 4.0 GPA in the college classes I've taken so far, and got a 1900 on my SAT. I'm currently looking to go to a community college (and am taking some advanced classes there, right now, while still in high school, and will have 17 college credits total at the end of the year.), and am planning to transfer to RIT (RIT - Risk Management - Consumer Advocacy). I am looking to go for a degree in the IT field, something to do with computers (perhaps as a programmer, or a 3D designer, or a CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)/ computer security analyst, if I could manage that (Yes I know, not proper field names, just very casual descriptions.)

    Do you have any other reccommendations for me as to where would be a good school (preferrably in NY, but any state would be okay, really.) Like, what would be the best school I could get into with my grades? This whole thing is really confusing to me.
    I'd advise against IT.

    Really.

    If you must, try to get into a place that has a Cybercorps program, and apply to that to get your degree paid for.

    The SAT must have changed since I took it - how on earth do you score a 1900?

    Stonybrook, SUNY, and Rochester are all good (graduate) schools; YMMV, but you should be receiving packets from places given your SAT scores. I know when I was in school, I was inundated by packages from universities.

    Looking back over my financial "investment" on schooling, I'd say a SOLID 2-year career followed by a 2-year follow-up at the expensive school of your choosing would be a good idea. As you're going to be paying the bill (I'm sure of it!), this may be a good move. Or, again, the Cybercorps program.

    Have you talked with your guidance counselor about this? S/He will be good at this, because this is what they do.

  4. #4
    dprdinky

    Default

    Carnegie Mellon, located in Pittsburgh. It's a top rated school for IT.

    Remember the guy who was in the news about giving his last speech before one of his classes after he found out he had a serious non-removable cancer? The professor from the school, who was in IT spent the rest of his living months and days with his family including his young children. Very touching story to remember. He's all over youtube

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dprdinky View Post
    Carnegie Mellon, located in Pittsburgh. It's a top rated school for IT.

    Remember the guy who was in the news about giving his last speech before one of his classes after he found out he had a serious non-removable cancer? The professor from the school, who was in IT spent the rest of his living months and days with his family including his young children. Very touching story to remember. He's all over youtube
    He was an HCI guy. (Top of my head) Randy Pautsch, right?

    And ... gah - CMU. Yeah, if you're accepted there, AND want to do "tech stuff," then you must go. CMU is awesome; a friend's husband has his Ph.D. in Computer Science from there. He worked at google until he decided, "Meh ... I'm done working."

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I'd advise against IT.

    Really.
    I have absolutely no other skills, and it's not like the jobs are going down in the field. It's the only thing I'm suited for, and it's the only thing I wish to do, no offense.



    Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    If you must, try to get into a place that has a Cybercorps program, and apply to that to get your degree paid for.
    What is Cybercorps?



    Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    The SAT must have changed since I took it - how on earth do you score a 1900?
    They did change it, now each of the 3 sections are out of 800, giving a total score of 2400. I was in the 92nd percentile, with my score, apparently, as claimed by the paper I got for my results.



    Quote Originally Posted by dprdinky View Post
    Carnegie Mellon, located in Pittsburgh. It's a top rated school for IT.

    Remember the guy who was in the news about giving his last speech before one of his classes after he found out he had a serious non-removable cancer? The professor from the school, who was in IT spent the rest of his living months and days with his family including his young children. Very touching story to remember. He's all over youtube
    I do remember him, it was really touching, his speech. I couldn't believe he had as much courage as he did, to know that, and still go on, and even give the speech he did.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    I have absolutely no other skills, and it's not like the jobs are going down in the field. It's the only thing I'm suited for, and it's the only thing I wish to do, no offense.
    Hey, no offense taken. As an "IT guy" myself, I thought I'd just make the recommendation of, "Run. Very fast. Away from IT." Typically IT is managed by folks who have no business being there. Just a warning. The field itself is interesting; its application/work-view is horrible.



    What is Cybercorps?
    Aha - it's a bit like a work-study program with the government for computer security. Stipend, Fed. job, connections ... good stuff, that. Unfortunately, it looks like it's open to those at the tail-end of their undergrad careers. Still, if you're interested in these things, shoot for it.



    They did change it, now each of the 3 sections are out of 800, giving a total score of 2400. I was in the 92nd percentile, with my score, apparently, as claimed by the paper I got for my results.
    Aha. Well done.

  8. #8

    Default

    I currently have Ithica on my list, and I'm looking for around the same fields. Do you have a price range? Because there are a lot of fantastic engineering schools in Pennsylvania that you could probably get into. However, one thing they aren't, are cheap. I'm looking at Villanova and Lehigh right now, and you could probably get into Bucknell.

  9. #9

    Default

    Did you go through the CyberCorps thing? It's got to do with the fed's... That always sets my awareness level to red and trusting level to 0. I don't like dealing with government.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    Did you go through the CyberCorps thing? It's got to do with the fed's... That always sets my awareness level to red and trusting level to 0. I don't like dealing with government.
    Funny story. The Cyber Corps program was THE reason why I chose the grad school I did. At the time, it was one of a very small handful of schools that participated. The *other* place I was looking was Florida - every time it snows, I think I've made the wrong choice, but I digress.

    Oh, and unfortunately, no, my ex-major professor was a slack-ass, so the paperwork never got sent in.

    I, too, don't like dealing with government. Remember, though, the time that I was entering grad school - it was 2002-2003, and I had considered working for the Department of State in a kind of SigInt position. Enough of that -

    There are aspects of this that I do like:
    ... well, okay - let's just say that if you could join "Infragard" (if I see foreign people cracking my server, I'll let folks know), you'd likely be okay with Cyber Corps.

Similar Threads

  1. Art ideas!
    By Error404 in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2008, 15:41
  2. Bed ideas?
    By BabyKat in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-May-2008, 02:27
  3. Ideas?
    By BabyKat in forum Incontinence
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-May-2008, 22:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.