Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
Ok, so I figured I might as well make a topic on this while I was thinking about it.

I find motivation is hard to come by for me. I may think about practicing artwork for a split second before I think "eh, don't feel like it." Then there are times when I do decide to do artwork, but half way through I may get bored and just stop working on it and begin procrastinating to continue.

It's not like I don't find it enjoyable either. I do enjoy doing artwork, but just never am able to find the motivation to do it.

Course it's not just artwork it was just an example, it really applies to just about anything.

I do know of only one way to keep myself motivated, and that is competition. Which is funny, because I generally don't like competing with other people, but I most certainly do like a rival.

So, what keeps all of you motivated? Any suggestions, ideas, or just thoughts on the matter? Anyone else have a similar problem?

brabbit1987 said:
Ok, so I figured I might as well make a topic on this while I was thinking about it.

I find motivation is hard to come by for me. I may think about practicing artwork for a split second before I think "eh, don't feel like it." Then there are times when I do decide to do artwork, but half way through I may get bored and just stop working on it and begin procrastinating to continue.

It's not like I don't find it enjoyable either. I do enjoy doing artwork, but just never am able to find the motivation to do it.

Course it's not just artwork it was just an example, it really applies to just about anything.

I do know of only one way to keep myself motivated, and that is competition. Which is funny, because I generally don't like competing with other people, but I most certainly do like a rival.

So, what keeps all of you motivated? Any suggestions, ideas, or just thoughts on the matter? Anyone else have a similar problem?
A method I've used in the past is printing out monthly calendar pages from the internet.

I'll write my goal on the top margin, such as "Workout everyday," and each day I do it I'll put my initials on the date box. I find after doing it for a week or so, it's very hard to accept stopping the streak.

I write lists of things to do, both at work and for chores at home. I feel a sense of accomplishment whenever I cross something off the list. Some things like "laundry" take more than one attempt to complete. Other things like "walk the dog" is an easy one and helps get me moving for other things.

Interesting ideas, though both wouldn't work for me. I actually lose motivation to do the list or calendar, just as much as I would with anything else XD.

Maybe I am just that lazy. o.o

I have the same issue with motivation a lot of the time. There are things that I like doing, or want to do, and just can't work up the desire to do them. Like you, artwork is one of those things. I've been trying to teach myself how to draw, but go through phases where I do a lot and then maybe do very little.

Part of the issue is that these are things that I'm invested in, and maybe it's the same for you? I enjoy them, I want to do well in them, but starting would mean that it might not be perfect. Why draw, or write, practice an instrument, study, etc if the end result won't be what you really want it to be?

I find that a great motivator for me is telling someone else "I'm going to do ___." For me it's much harder to back out once there's a verbal obligation.

Spite and unhappiness. Yes, really. I want to be a good person, but that's not what motivates me to go do things. I do stuff because I become unhappy if I go too long being unproductive (which, for me, is like more than a day or two usually). I find it very hard to feel content even when things are going well, I always feel I ought to be doing more or bettering myself somehow. And when I'm dealing with other people who are jerks (as happens at times in my job), it's particularly motivating because I want to do as perfect work as possible to beat them. I'm a lawyer btw, so there's plenty of competition there, even though I don't appear in courtrooms.

Here's a picture, this is how you do motivation. http://funnyjunk.com/Plane+crazy/funny-pictures/5637440

ArchieRoni said:
Spite and unhappiness. Yes, really. I want to be a good person, but that's not what motivates me to go do things. I do stuff because I become unhappy if I go too long being unproductive (which, for me, is like more than a day or two usually). I find it very hard to feel content even when things are going well, I always feel I ought to be doing more or bettering myself somehow. And when I'm dealing with other people who are jerks (as happens at times in my job), it's particularly motivating because I want to do as perfect work as possible to beat them. I'm a lawyer btw, so there's plenty of competition there, even though I don't appear in courtrooms.

Here's a picture, this is how you do motivation. http://funnyjunk.com/Plane+crazy/funny-pictures/5637440

I see.
That image doesn't apply well with me actually. Most people who know me actually have a very weird high expectation of what I am capable of.

Starrunner said:
I've been a long distance runner for thirty seven years now, running marathons and half marathons. I usually only miss a day about once every two years or so. I find that what works best for me is to incorporate it into my schedule at a regular set time. On weekdays I'm up at 5:00 a.m. so there's lots of time for whatever distance I want to do. My reason for going first thing in the morning was because I found it more difficult to run at the end of the workday, especially when things get hectic and I'm feeling tired or there's no time for lunch. It's easier for me to run in the morning and get it out of the way for the day. Part of my motivation comes from knowing I have a lot more energy after I've run than if I didn't run at all. After thirty seven years of running, I really don't even need much motivation anymore, it's simply entrenched in my daily routine.

Well ... that makes you username pretty literal than lol. XD

I have never gotten so involved into anything where it has become something that really doesn't need motivation. Don't have any sort of daily routines.

After I left my full time church music director job, I got really bummed out and stopped practicing, or playing any music for myself. I always have to be doing something or depression will set in, so I started writing a novel, and that consumed between 6 and 7 years of my life.

After I published it to Kindle, I started practicing again, and now I'm obsessed with learning the Chopin Nocturnes. I practiced two times today. Something strange happened. Those 8 years ago, I couldn't muddle my way through any of them, but now, they're falling under my fingers, the left hand, the octaves, and most trying, the runs that run counter to the 6/8 rhythm which the left hand must play. They are the most amazing pieces, and now I'm playing 5 of them.

I think you have to become passionate about something, whether it's art, or anything else. Once the bug bites you, there's no stopping. Maybe it's because I turned 68 and I want to accomplish this. Who knows, but great things are out there to be done. For me, it's all about the performance and creating some of the most beautiful music ever written. If you've never heard the Chopin Nocturnes, go to You Tube and type in "Arthur Rubinstein" and Chopin Nocturnes. I might add, they're very difficult to play, but he makes them sound simple.

I would start in the following way. What do you care about, now? It could be a passion, it could be a fear, it could be about being respected by friends or family, or making money, becoming famous. It could be doing something creative like writing or art. It could be finding people who care about you and make you feel special. It could be getting time to hang around wearing diapers, even. But we need to start with something that you want or that you're afraid of first. Then you can work outward from there.

dogboy said:
After I left my full time church music director job, I got really bummed out and stopped practicing, or playing any music for myself. I always have to be doing something or depression will set in, so I started writing a novel, and that consumed between 6 and 7 years of my life.

After I published it to Kindle, I started practicing again, and now I'm obsessed with learning the Chopin Nocturnes. I practiced two times today. Something strange happened. Those 8 years ago, I couldn't muddle my way through any of them, but now, they're falling under my fingers, the left hand, the octaves, and most trying, the runs that run counter to the 6/8 rhythm which the left hand must play. They are the most amazing pieces, and now I'm playing 5 of them.

I think you have to become passionate about something, whether it's art, or anything else. Once the bug bites you, there's no stopping. Maybe it's because I turned 68 and I want to accomplish this. Who knows, but great things are out there to be done. For me, it's all about the performance and creating some of the most beautiful music ever written. If you've never heard the Chopin Nocturnes, go to You Tube and type in "Arthur Rubinstein" and Chopin Nocturnes. I might add, they're very difficult to play, but he makes them sound simple.

Ya, I used to practice playing music on the piano now and then. Never really took it too far. The only music piece I learned with both hands was the Elfen Lied anime opening called Lilium. I also learned a few linkin park melodies by listening to the song and then playing it. I have a midi keyboard in the closet now just collecting dust and I am pretty certain I have forgotten how to play Lilium now.

I also learned how to use FL Studio and made some music from scratch.

I actually do most of these things just to see if I can. Then once I see that I am able to do it, I move on to something else.

Edit: Actually becoming passionate about something has never happened, and I have tried many ... many things. I like doing a lot of different things, but never really grew passionate about something to the point where I became extremely good at it. Instead ... I just learn things, and then move on to learn more things. Then when I am done with those things, I move on again. It's hard for me to stick with doing a single thing and I really don't know why.

Especially since it's not like I don't want to do those things, I just find it hard to be motivated enough to continue.

ArchieRoni said:
I would start in the following way. What do you care about, now? It could be a passion, it could be a fear, it could be about being respected by friends or family, or making money, becoming famous. It could be doing something creative like writing or art. It could be finding people who care about you and make you feel special. It could be getting time to hang around wearing diapers, even. But we need to start with something that you want or that you're afraid of first. Then you can work outward from there.

Knowledge, which I suppose that answer is pretty broad as knowledge is pretty much everything.

Last edited:
I personally feel motivation is unreliable.

I've been in situations where I've rationalised the thought of not doing something I really wanted to do the night before, such as working out or practicing my artwork.

But truthfully I think you need to just do it regardless of motivation.

It sometimes seems like motivation comes around once every while for me.
So instead of waiting for it to come, I just hop to it.

Uzuki said:

I've been in situations where I've rationalised the thought of not doing something I really wanted to do the night before, such as working out or practicing my artwork.

You raise a very good point. I guess the idea is to just keep at it, regardless of motivation. Hmm so simple ...lol.
Thanks for the great advice.

Also, I see you are new, so Welcome! =^.^= Good to have you.

Uzuki said:

Wouldn't pushing yourself through it be a form of motivation?

Motivation is defined as "the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way."

So in this case your motivation is a lack thereof?

SuperiorPenguin said:
Wouldn't pushing yourself through it be a form of motivation?

Motivation is defined as "the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way."

So in this case your motivation is a lack thereof?

*sighs* Let me ask you something ...

... Are you purposefully trying to ruin this advice for me? XD rofl.

Anyway, the definition does seem a bit vague and I think it depends on the manner you use the word.
For example ... let's say someone crossed the street. Something as simple as that will always have a motive, in this case it's to reach the other side of the street. In fact every action a person does, has some sort of motive behind it. Ones motivation in this sense, really doesn't require a whole heck of a lot.

While the motivation we are talking about is more along the lines of being eager to act or work. So if you where to work simply to work, in this sense I wouldn't call that motivation, because it's not like you all of a sudden are eager to do it. You are just doing it cause you feel like you should.

I think the issue is with how the word is used. It's why we don't consider every speech a motivational speech even though technically .. they all are, since speeches are meant to cause people to act on what ever it is that the speech is about. We tend to use the word motivation pretty exclusively, even though it's actually a pretty broad term.

brabbit1987 said:
*sighs* Let me ask you something ...

... Are you purposefully trying to ruin this advice for me? XD rofl.

Anyway, the definition does seem a bit vague and I think it depends on the manner you use the word.
For example ... let's say someone crossed the street. Something as simple as that will always have a motive, in this case it's to reach the other side of the street. In fact every action a person does, has some sort of motive behind it. Ones motivation in this sense, really doesn't require a whole heck of a lot.

While the motivation we are talking about is more along the lines of being eager to act or work. So if you where to work simply to work, in this sense I wouldn't call that motivation, because it's not like you all of a sudden are eager to do it. You are just doing it cause you feel like you should.

I think the issue is with how the word is used. It's why we don't consider every speech a motivational speech even though technically .. they all are, since speeches are meant to cause people to act on what ever it is that the speech is about. We tend to use the word motivation pretty exclusively, even though it's actually a pretty broad term.

Part A. At your service Ma'am. Need advise ruined, I am your guy. I'll take it to the nth degree in a philosophical manner, while also presenting facts. LOL

Part B. I agree in this sense motivation is being used a bit stricter. What I said was all for fun, I don't really believe it. :)

SuperiorPenguin said:
Part A. At your service Ma'am. Need advise ruined, I am your guy. I'll take it to the nth degree in a philosophical manner, while also presenting facts. LOL

Part B. I agree in this sense motivation is being used a bit stricter. What I said was all for fun, I don't really believe it. :)

Still a pretty interesting thing you brought up. I like learning new things.

Motivation for me equals deadlines..... in other words, I really struggle to get stuff done unless I am committed to a time. The stupid thing is that mostly it's things I enjoy doing once I get into it. So self motivation is I guess something I'm not so good at. I just finished a visual arts degree and have been wondering if I'll even have enough self motivation to continue working without having to submit stuff .... OMG I must be crackers.... I've been whining for the past three years about having to meet the expectations of others in my artwork...hahaha, but at least that got me working.

I think it has something to do with confidence and purpose for me. if I feel something is important enough, I'll pull out all stops and even surprise myself with what I can achieve. There's also some nagging idea in the back of my head about approval....hmmmm I guess if I am subjecting myself to critical judgement I'll usually work pretty hard.

Well :) that was some nice self-analysis. I'll dwell on my own advice for awhile....then procrastinate a little further....look over the things I've done.... and then daydream about what I could be doing..... hahaha sounds pathetic :)

Ok, so I do have a plan (phew...that was quick) I'm going to commit to doing at least one thing towards my goals each day...who knows what the outcome might be.

I tend to have a daily checklist and I try and get as much checked as possible with a daily analysis of whether I'm productive and giving myself reasons why I may have failed. This system has been tremendously helpful and has definitely made me be far more productive than if I had just did all of the work whenever I felt like it as I pretty much never got anything done before this, though I will admit that it's still hard to push through and get everything done whenever I'm feeling depressed and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back