Thread: Auto-Immune Disorder Help?

Default Auto-Immune Disorder Help?

So to keep it brief, I have Celiac Disease. It is an autoimmune disorder where ingested gluten activates the immune system and results in damage to the small intestine. This morning I was partying with a friend and something triggered it and I literally messed myself.. (had it happen once before) I couldn't believe it. Is anyone else on this forum celiac? Any ideas, support or anything... any advise welcome. Would this be a form of bowel IC? I am learning about celiac more and more I was diagnosed a year or so ago (don't ask how they do it..) I am healthier now then I was for sure. But I am learning the ropes still.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

I've seen people with this disorder, and I'm sorry for the pain it can cause. The only advise I can offer is something that you've probably already heard many times already: Stick to the diet. You'll be tempted to eat things that you're not supposed to have, and you'll pay for it later. Stick to the diet as best as you can. Also, if you're able; you might keep a change of underwear / pants / etc. close. Either in a car, truck, desk at work, locker, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattew View Post
    I've seen people with this disorder, and I'm sorry for the pain it can cause. The only advise I can offer is something that you've probably already heard many times already: Stick to the diet. You'll be tempted to eat things that you're not supposed to have, and you'll pay for it later. Stick to the diet as best as you can. Also, if you're able; you might keep a change of underwear / pants / etc. close. Either in a car, truck, desk at work, locker, etc.
    I certainly stick to it strictly. I wish there was a more stable system for labeling.

I've got an older cousin that's currently struggling with finding the right foods for her, that are gluten free. Be careful of cross contamination as well. She's gotten sick from bowls and dish towels not properly cleaned, that were used to make foods with gluten, and then she used in the prep of her food.

It got bad enough that her and her husband have had to segregate their kitchen. She has towels, bowls, and everything that she needs to make her meals; all in one color. He husband has all of his stuff in a different color. They each have their own cabinets that they keep their foods in as well, so that nothing comes in contact now. She's been doing much better since they implemented this system to keep everything separated.

I've got an older cousin that's currently struggling with finding the right foods for her, that are gluten free. Be careful of cross contamination as well. She's gotten sick from bowls and dish towels not properly cleaned, that were used to make foods with gluten, and then she used in the prep of her food.

It got bad enough that her and her husband have had to segregate their kitchen. She has towels, bowls, and everything that she needs to make her meals; all in one color. He husband has all of his stuff in a different color. They each have their own cabinets that they keep their foods in as well, so that nothing comes in contact now. She's been doing much better since they implemented this system to keep everything separated.
    My entire house is gluten free zone. Cross contamination is a huge issue for sure. That is why I only eat at dedicated GF restaurants! I cannot figure out what caused it today.

That's good. Well, I wish you the best. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

That's good. Well, I wish you the best. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
    Thank you, Mattew!

I guess you know soy sauce is a gluten. A friend of mine has the same problem and she went to Outback Steakhouse and had the steak. She told them she suffered from celiac disease and yet the still cooked her steak in some sort of soy sauce. She got very sick. Gluten gets snuck into a lot of foods as a binder.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I guess you know soy sauce is a gluten. A friend of mine has the same problem and she went to Outback Steakhouse and had the steak. She told them she suffered from celiac disease and yet the still cooked her steak in some sort of soy sauce. She got very sick. Gluten gets snuck into a lot of foods as a binder.
    I did know that. I've never eaten at outback.. I guess I won't now! :P