Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh look at the time, 1984 already!

Default Oh look at the time, 1984 already!

Oh my god, where's the privacy? Every where you go you have to get checked for some kind of "Dangerous item", you can't carry anything with you that might offend someone, you can't say anything or it'll be classified as "insubordination". What has gone wrong with the world? This nation is supposed to be a republic, not a democracy! Our new president even voted to ban handguns...

STATE AND DEBATE.

There is a startling lack of low-grade chaos in the US. Kids don't dare break stuff or pick fights, or their families are slapped with $10,000 of lawsuits. We can't comment on anyone's race, gender, sexuality, religion, or other significantly defining trait; indeed, we are discouraged from discriminative thoughts. (It's a black dude who looks like a drunk homeless bum...seems legit to me.)

I've heard that this is what happens when you let the bureaucrats run everything... and come to think of it that's probably true. We should stop trying to promote equality and just work on removing inequality. (I don't feel like I'm making sense it's 4:24 AM here)

Quote Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
    Oh my god, where's the privacy? Every where you go you have to get checked for some kind of "Dangerous item", you can't carry anything with you that might offend someone, you can't say anything or it'll be classified as "insubordination". What has gone wrong with the world? This nation is supposed to be a republic, not a democracy! Our new president even voted to ban handguns...
    When you go somewhere, it's usually private property, so they have a right to tell you what you're not allowed to bring. Sometimes it goes too far though. In some ways, terrorists have harmed our freedom, which has always been one of their goals.

Why take something somewhere only for the purpose of offending someone? Just to cause trouble? I'm not sure I understand.

Insubordination? Uh.... don't pick fights with police officers or teachers? I don't know what else to tell you there. I think we're just noticing it more now though. In general, police do things much more "by the book" now than they did about 30 yrs. ago. Though there will always be those who abuse their power (as well as those who would never do so). As for school... schools are trying to become prisons.

I don't see how the USA being a republic has anything to do with this topic though. Maybe you meant to say that this isn't a police state?

Obama voted to ban handguns? I don't know too much about that. I hope not though. Either way, he doesn't seem to currently support a national handgun ban.

Our internet rights are threatened, that's one thing you forgot. Some people want to make laws against internet anonymity because of people posting death threats and stuff like that on myspace. Organizations like the RIAA and MPAA want access to everyone's internet usage data so they can see who is downloading stuff.

STATE AND DEBATE.
    The only places I been checked have all been PRIVATE places. Such as Sporting events, Airports etc.

Also I can't say some of the stuff here that I want to other wise I'll either get neg repped into hell or even a temp ban. Are you going to be getting pissed off at the admins for that?

Also how long ago did you read 1984, last week in school maybe?

EmeraldsAndLime

What has gone wrong with the world?
    And that, people, is the $64,000 question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    The only places I been checked have all been PRIVATE places. Such as Sporting events, Airports etc.

Schools, workplaces, etc.

Also I can't say some of the stuff here that I want to other wise I'll either get neg repped into hell or even a temp ban.

Send me a PM.

Are you going to be getting pissed off at the admins for that?

I'm Modset. I feel fine.

Also how long ago did you read 1984, last week in school maybe?

Winter break, actually. No, I think it was before that. Wait, nevermind. What relevence does this have with the present topic, anyway?

Unrelated to above statements, we have telescreens now. Wonderful.

While I agree that safety precautions are a bit over the top sometimes, ShippoFox and Fire2box have a point about this being up to owners of private places. It's hardly something Orwell would go "I told you so!" over.

There are, however a lot of other things that are much more scary. As for the U.S. I guess the Patriot Act is one of those things. Then again, I don't know enough about it to really get into a discussing it.

In Sweden the "FRA"-law was recently passed. What it means is that the national defense is able to read through any information that enters or exits Sweden. As anybody with a basic understanding of the Internet knows, that means they're basically able to freely check any Internet traffic within Sweden as well. Without any hint of suspecting illegal activity I might ad.

It's not that scary at the moment. It's the principle of the whole thing that gets me. In the long run it's the kind of thing that opens up possibilities to run a totalitarian control-state where personal integrity isn't even a word in the vocabulary.

And oh, the just passed the "IPRED"-directive here as well. Meaning that companies that hold the copyright to something can demand any and all information about an IP address from an ISP, without any involvement from the police or other authorities. As such we've just legalized private policing from companies who's only goal it is to keep earning their stockholders money.

So yeah, there's stuff to be worried about. I doubt it'll be 1984 for quite a while, but we're certainly moving in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by PadDaBrat View Post
    So yeah, there's stuff to be worried about. I doubt it'll be 1984 for quite a while, but we're certainly moving in that direction.
    When you say "we're" do you mean your country, the US or the world in general?

Anyways, candyman. Workplaces are private too.

The schools however, that's another story.

The last school I went was a Non-Public School, sort of in between the lines of public/private. I don't think they would have the right to strip search any student for any reason however there were times where backpack's were search for illegal drugs. And there were drugs on campus, I saw such crap with my own eyes.

As with private schools I bet they can do whatever they want just like the sporting event's could.

With public school's they can do stuff, to ensure the student's body safety which have included me as well as yourself and anyone else to grace the public education system. Now if you want to blame anyone for that type of crap you can blame the idiots that deal drugs in schools and their own personal baggage and the idiots that have brought guns and even bombs to school and killed randomly.

Either way, what I really want to know is what's your point with all of this?

Quote Originally Posted by PadDaBrat View Post
    In Sweden the "FRA"-law was recently passed. What it means is that the national defense is able to read through any information that enters or exits Sweden. As anybody with a basic understanding of the Internet knows, that means they're basically able to freely check any Internet traffic within Sweden as well. Without any hint of suspecting illegal activity I might ad.

It's not that scary at the moment. It's the principle of the whole thing that gets me.
    Definitely. Also, I really dislike the recent stance adopted by the USA insofar as permitting searching of documents coming across the border - meaning they can apparently now open up laptops and rifle through them.

Finally, the 2 most frightening words to appear in the English language in its current use: Enemy Combatant.