Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: collage costs?

Default collage costs?

Hey, anyone tell me where I can find an exactish prince per year to go to these universities?

-Princeton
    -Yale
    -Eastern MI
    -Western MI

And what GPA's they will accept. As of right now, I have a 2.5...will any of them accpet that?

collage cost, eh? Well, you'll need to buy glue, and some construction paper.. and maybe some scissors. And you'll need lots of pictures...

Oh wait.

Those are all going to be pretty pricey. Unfortunately, I don't think 2.5 is going to work for any of those, but there are some schools that will take it I'm sure.

The cost will vary widely depending on if you're at a public or private uni, and at public whether you're in state or out of state. It's tough to find exact prices, but expect to pay lots .

secretdl26

Try Collegeboard's website. It is very easy to use and has lots of information.

:: College Planning Made Easy | Inside Source for College Admissions Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    And what GPA's they will accept. As of right now, I have a 2.5...will any of them accpet that?
    Hell no. Although I'm sure they'd happily take your application fee (I'd guess $120 or so).

Eastern MI or Western MI may want to take the risk on you, if these are state universities (I don't know).

Community college, state university, then maybe off to one of those for graduate school if you distinguish yourself.

A 2.5 will not get you into Western (Average incomming Freshman GPA was 3.3 for this year) or Eastern (3.05), and sure as hell not one of the ivys. If you can't get your GPA up to at least 3.2 (and have a great to killer ACT/SAT score), your best bet would be to work your ass off at Community College for 2 years, then try to transfer.

Doesn't the college websites show prices, and requirments? I know here if you go to the site, it shows what classes you need, the grades you need, average, level of classes, and price. (Approximation.)

i wish i was rich, then i could just throw some cash around and get a running start into the collage.

Oy, if you hadn't figured out from my first post and the numerous times it's been mentioned already in this thread, it's "college" and not "collage". I'm not trying to be a dick, but I can't get past the irony of making a thread about trying to get into college when you can't spell it... that's all

Sorry for being the grammar nazi, but c'mon haha.

You could always go into the military for a few years, then come back and go to college on the GI bill.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    i wish i was rich, then i could just throw some cash around and get a running start into the collage.
    That would help, yes, but there is more to admission than money.

The "currency" you lack here is GPA/achievement. If you can get in, you can always take loans/grants that are backed by the Federal government. Barring a phenomenal SAT/ACT score, minority status, or other exceptional circumstances, you're pretty much slotted into the community college / state school track at this point. Not that state institutions are a bad thing, but they have a duty to the taxpayer to provide the opportunity of education to anyone who shows up.

As Abby pointed out, colleges typically list the annual cost of attendance (resident and non-resident) as well as requisite coursework. What they typically will not disclose on the website is class averages (though they may), SAT/ACT/GRE/GMAT scores, or other items of information that make claims of guaranteed admission*.

Universities tend to make admission decisions on a case-by-case basis; getting into grad school, I had a sub-3.0 GPA but a phenomenal resume/experience, and a lot of outside interests. I now stand at a 3.8+ GPA and have represented the university at an international conference and several symposia; their "bet" on me paid off, but their decision was bolstered by the fact that I came in at 2+ standard deviations above their typical GMAT score.

As you can see, exceptions are made, but your experience may vary. Either way, you're going to be hard-pressed to garner interest as a candidate for admission with a 2.5 high school GPA. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    You could always go into the military for a few years, then come back and go to college on the GI bill.
    I read this after posting ... you know, this is actually an excellent suggestion. You would gain "I've done stuff and can be responsible" cred as well as funding for school. I didn't go down this road; good point, sparkmaster!

*State institutions will tend to outline "unconditional admission" criteria, as well as "you get a full-ride scholarship if you meet ..." criteria.
    Last edited by h3g3l; 22-Feb-2009 at 21:31. Reason: Incorporation of sparkmaster's post.