Thread: Best (and worst) Movies of 2015

Default Best (and worst) Movies of 2015

I waited until after Star Wars opened before posting this thread, just in case it was going to be everyone's favourite.

Anyway, I got to see a lot of different movies in the theatre in 2015, and overall I thought it was a pretty good year for movies of all genres.

So what were your favourites of the past year? And what movies were disappointing?

The ones I enjoyed the most this year were (may I have the envelope please?)

The Danish Girl (by far the best of the year)
    The Martian (great, realistic Sci-Fi concept with humour and upbeat theme)
    Still Alice (great book adaptation)
    Room (another great book adaptation)
    Ant Man (really funny)
    Everest. (true story of disastrous expedition, must be seen in Imax 3D)

The disappointments for me were:

Avengers: Age of Ultron (a bit of a rambling mess)
    A Walk in the Woods (two great actors, Redford and Nolte, completely wasted in a pointless film)
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens (See Cottontail's thread)

So.... What are your choices for 2015?

noctis

My favorite movie of 2015 was Ex Machina because it was so thought provoking, well acted/directed. I liked the pace and loved the dialog. The characters were amazing esp. Ava. Artistic direction was really something else. Above all I like the concept and execution.

I also enjoyed Terminator Genisys, The Scorch Trials, Insurgent, Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending and Fifty Shades Of Grey.

I haven't seen Star Wars yet but I'm sure I'll love it. Same with The Martian.
    Last edited by noctis; 29-Dec-2015 at 18:37.

Looking back, I realized I didn't see any movies at a theater this past year! Not that I usually go to a lot, but still! I know we meant to go to the drive-in for a couple, but every time it seemed like weather intervened or we got called as emergency babysitters. Maybe that needs to be a New Year's resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by noctis View Post
    My favorite movie of 2015 was Ex Machina because it was so thought provoking, well acted/directed. I liked the pace and loved the dialog. The characters were amazing esp. Ava. Artistic direction was really something else. Above all I like the concept and execution.
    I was hoping someone else would mention this masterpiece! Ex Machina was that movie with such a simple premise but an execution that blew away all my expectations. It was simple yet beautiful from the settings to the music (what a score that is!) The themes and morals had you contemplating basic human psychology the entire movie. Even the main character doubted his humanity. All in all, I absolutely loved this movie and it is my most favorite of 2015, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Looking back, I realized I didn't see any movies at a theater this past year! Not that I usually go to a lot, but still!
    i never go!
    since the killing-off of Blockbuster (UK), i'm stuck with streaming and given UK internet speeds, it's all a bit touch-and-go and pot-puck. so, i've not really watched many films, and have stuck the [usually] guaranteed fulfillment of the Hollywood 'blockbusters'. for whiling away a couple of hours with mindless distractions, they'll do, but none have wowed me and certainly aren't memorable.
    the only memorable films of 2015, for me, have been as posted in the other filmy thread: Belle Et Sebastien and The Signal.

I don't see that many new releases, and when I do, it's mainly kids' stuff. I did go to the theater to see Minions, which was better than Despicable Me 2 at the least; and The Peanuts Movie, which was alright but not stand-out.

I did, however, watch all eight Harry Potter films this year, after finishing each respective book. I've seen Sorcerer's Stone twice now, and Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban three times I believe, and plan on viewing Goblet of Fire again sometime in the near future.

I apologize for not getting to my nearest Cineplex in NH in Derry this past year to see any movies.
    It has been a long time since I went to a movie theater.
    I will try and get my hands on "MINIONS" on DVD.
    Sorry, but I do not own one of those HD Blu-Ray DVD players.

the only movie i have seen recently to bring forth any emotional attachment for me was Jurassic World, while still pales in comparison to the first, had just enough nostalgia to bring tears to my eyes upon revisiting Isla Nubar, also the main theme just as they go through the original wooden (King Kong thanks ian malcom) Gate. and the Raptor Hunting Party love it spent many days in childhood daydreaming about training my own pack of raptors to hunt with. all in all with all its flaws it truly got me all giddy again, as a Bonus im really curious how they captured Rexy in the first place and got her back into a paddok after roaming for as many years as she did freely.

I would go with best in animation movie is "Inside out" and worst was "The Minion Movie"