Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Not really anything I'm looking for help with, more like sharing.

I'm setting up my Linux server to run my Plex and Minecraft servers. I'm plannin on running both 24/7. My Minecraft server, I plan on opening up to friends over time as I get it working. :) And as for my plex, I give out my special access to friends so they can access my library like Netflix. It's awesome.

Are you a Linux user? a server owner/admin? Share your awesome server stories below!

I've thought about setting up a server on my old PC that's basically outlived any useful service otherwise, but I never did get to it. Honestly dont know where to start.

It would be great to store all my photography in one place rather then on multiple external drives. Some decent music to listen to at the office is always a plus ;)

I actually run a minecraft server for my youtube channel, with a few other youtubers on it. But, I am not using linux. I am just using the same computer I use to play minecraft, to do it. It is available 24/7, but not up 24/7. It goes to sleep when no one is on. Keeps the server from hogging up resources.

I suppose if I ever got the money to do so, I would build a new computer for myself and turn this one into a full time server.

Around a year ago I ditched my shared web hosting provider and went to a low-tier Amazon Web Services EC2 instance. I have two domains but both are super low traffic as I haven't really done anything with them yet. Reason I switched was that because of the two domains thing, I'd often be forced into buying higher tier hosting packages cuz the cheapest ones did arbitrary nonsense like "1 domain & 5 subdomains" restrictions, which of course meant I'd be paying for the extra space/bandwidth I didn't need purely for the lack of domain restrictions.

Turns out the cost of running a 24/7 t2.micro instance wasn't far off the cost I was paying for my current hosting, or other packages I could find. Plus I now have the advantage of having a server I can do whatever I want with, like hosting Minecraft for myself and friends for no extra cost cuz the server's up all the time anyway. So the past year I've been taking advantage of the AWS free tier, and gonna be staying with AWS from this point. The flexibility's just great.

Have run a relatively complicated home network for awhile, mixture of linux (gentoo mostly though 2 boxes run debian) and freebsd (file server and firewall) and have a lower tier VPS from linode which I mainly use for email.

Used to run an FTB server with around 20 users (most on at a time was probably like 7), but it became too much of a beast for the hardware it was on (regularly chewed up 16G of ram and maxed the CPU. Really wish minecraft and assorted mods would welcome multithreading into their life as single core speed quickly becomes the limiting factor (you can jam more ram into a box, but cores only go so fast).

Minecraft servers are a terrible piece of software, unfortunately. Had one up for a couple of months, worked well enough for a few people without mods even on very low end hardware. (2gb RAM, some 2GHz Xeon core dedicated to my VM).

I'm probably one of the few people who actually runs a Mac OSX Based server, Have considered transferring to linux a few times but never actually have. (Really I should switch to linux, the only advantage OSX holds for me is that I handle a lot of pre OSX data (Which would loose it's resorce forks on most non HFS file systems, rendering it useless) but it should all be archived if formats that preserve this data fine and can be stored on other files systems so shoulsn't be a problem)

The server primarily runs file sharing services (FTP, HTTP and Wired externally, AFP and SMB internally) It also runs a NetBoot sever which is kinda cool (If you're a massive nerd like me :) )

I Have been thinking of starting a couple of game servers as well, Probably Halo CE and Unreal (Two of my favourite ever multiplayer games) - but i'm not sure if I could find enough players to make it worth it

The server is way to powerful for what it runs (It is a '08 Apple Xserve, 2x2.8Ghz QC Xeons, 10GB of Ram, ~8TB of disk space) But hey, I picked it up cheap :) (£150 on eBay earlier this year) and it dosen't have the reliability problems some cheap desktop box's I have used in the past have had

i have loaded up a minecraft server onto my one private server. In short, i found that it was a huge waste of my own space and resources and switched to a paid hosting service. I actually did attempt to seriously run my minecraft server on it. It was an Xserve '08 with dual Xeon processors (can't remember clock speed off the top of my head). The biggest issue that i ran into was that the FTB pack was far too hungry for the server that i had. Even to the point that it would be unusable for other file sharing services due to minecraft being loaded. Not to mention the fact that i was the only one playing on the server.

I had a ton of issues trying to get things set up the way that i wanted on the xserve. It also didn't help that i am in the process of doing quite a bit of moving (moving from one town to another but all my stuff has been in storage for 6 months as well as I've been living in shared accommodation provided with the people I'm working with, so i couldn't really properly set my server up). So i switched to the paid hosting service and have not had near the same amount of issues as when i tried to run it myself.

Now i have full 24/7 server access to my minecraft server which is nice. And i can quickly and easily change mods, update the entire server or do any other config changes pretty easily too.

So running your own server is kind of fun. And it is definitely fun trying to figure out what the problem is. So long as you don't mind a bit of noise from your server (i know that the xserves are pretty noisy, but if you use something else for a server you might not have that issue). For me, having my own server like that is a bit of a novelty. Especially considering I'm looking at seriously upgrading my filtering system to something that will give me far better access with less hassles to deal with the whole server issue (for those of you interested, looking at changing to a synology NAS system that has built in file sharing as well as software that makes it run like a server in its own right without me needing to do too much work).

Zeek61 said:
i know that the xserves are pretty noisy....

I'm always intrigued when people say this, in my (allbeit limited) experience with servers I have found the xserves to be pretty quiet (Execpt for my old G4 xserve, which ran it's fans at 5000rpm all the time, not sure if that was by design or if it had a cooked temp sensor). My '08 one is almost silent under a light load, it gets a little noisy under higher loads, but not unbearably loud (Like the Dell PowerEdge 2950 I played around with for a while)

(Btw, i'm not saying that they can't get loud, just that I have never found them to be as loud as a lot of people make them out to be)

Zeek61 said:
i have loaded up a minecraft server onto my one private server. In short, i found that it was a huge waste of my own space and resources and switched to a paid hosting service. I actually did attempt to seriously run my minecraft server on it. It was an Xserve '08 with dual Xeon processors (can't remember clock speed off the top of my head). The biggest issue that i ran into was that the FTB pack was far too hungry for the server that i had. Even to the point that it would be unusable for other file sharing services due to minecraft being loaded. Not to mention the fact that i was the only one playing on the server.

I had a ton of issues trying to get things set up the way that i wanted on the xserve. It also didn't help that i am in the process of doing quite a bit of moving (moving from one town to another but all my stuff has been in storage for 6 months as well as I've been living in shared accommodation provided with the people I'm working with, so i couldn't really properly set my server up). So i switched to the paid hosting service and have not had near the same amount of issues as when i tried to run it myself.

Now i have full 24/7 server access to my minecraft server which is nice. And i can quickly and easily change mods, update the entire server or do any other config changes pretty easily too.

So running your own server is kind of fun. And it is definitely fun trying to figure out what the problem is. So long as you don't mind a bit of noise from your server (i know that the xserves are pretty noisy, but if you use something else for a server you might not have that issue). For me, having my own server like that is a bit of a novelty. Especially considering I'm looking at seriously upgrading my filtering system to something that will give me far better access with less hassles to deal with the whole server issue (for those of you interested, looking at changing to a synology NAS system that has built in file sharing as well as software that makes it run like a server in its own right without me needing to do too much work).

Modded minecraft takes a lot of power. In most cases you would need at least 6 - 8 GB of ram just for the server and system to run properly depending on the size of the mod pack. The CPU is not as much of an issue, but obviously a good one will do wonders to prevent any hiccups. Don't even get me started if your planning on trying to run a server that can have more than say 4 people on at a time. If you wanted to have up to 20 people on at once, you are going to need a beast of a machine to handle all that XD.

brabbit1987 said:
Modded minecraft takes a lot of power. In most cases you would need at least 6 - 8 GB of ram just for the server and system to run properly depending on the size of the mod pack. The CPU is not as much of an issue, but obviously a good one will do wonders to prevent any hiccups. Don't even get me started if your planning on trying to run a server that can have more than say 4 people on at a time. If you wanted to have up to 20 people on at once, you are going to need a beast of a machine to handle all that XD.

Oh i know that much don't worry. My hosted server has 8 gig and even then, depending upon how complex i make all my builds, as well as chunk loading them ... it can still struggle to keep up with what i have. That is the price to pay when you are playing with almost 200 various different mods.

And no matter what sever, once you flip the switch on some larger redstone everything goes to hell :p

Not so much for gaming, but I have a custom built NAS running OpenMediaVault, I think it's a Linux Kernel. Anyway, 4TB of Anime on 6 2TB drives.

A few years ago, had a server that ran Minecraft on Linux. Had around a dozen people at one time a handful of times. 16GB ram and 3 64GB SSDs Raid-0 together for 192GB and fast load times (32GB drive for the OS install). It was all command line, so it didn't need any gpu other than me using the built-on video on the motherboard. It was a modded minecraft with a custom modpack, featuring the large tech mods, magic mods, I think Biomes O' Plenty and another 40+ mods. The bottleneck was my internet connection. :sweatdrop: I miss that mod pack, took me months to get it all working nicely and no block-id conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back