stuck between sizes. need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexia

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
i have a 29in waist and 33in hips. recently i got a bunch of attends slip S9 (bad diapers) and i can barely squeeze into them. before that i had S10 attends that are a bit bigger than S9 and they gave me almost a perfect fit, but unfortunately i can no longer find those anywhere. however, i can get them in size medium, but i'm worried that they might be too big for me. there's a sizing chart on the diaper packages and it says that medium size fits minimum a 32in waist.

i also tried small sized diapers from other brands and they are all a bit tight on me. attends S10 were the only ones that gave me a good fit.

so, my question is: would i be okay with medium sized diapers, or should i start gaining some weight? i'm one of those lucky people who can eat junk food all the time without getting fat, so gaining weight is really hard for me. i think i'm gonna be stuck in between sizes for quite some time :(

also, i live with my parents, so cloth diapers are out of the question. and i don't really want those anyway. way too much work with them

cuddlekitty46 said:
i have a 29in waist and 33in hips. recently i got a bunch of attends slip S9 (bad diapers) and i can barely squeeze into them. before that i had S10 attends that are a bit bigger than S9 and they gave me almost a perfect fit, but unfortunately i can no longer find those anywhere. however, i can get them in size medium, but i'm worried that they might be too big for me. there's a sizing chart on the diaper packages and it says that medium size fits minimum a 32in waist.

i also tried small sized diapers from other brands and they are all a bit tight on me. attends S10 were the only ones that gave me a good fit.

so, my question is: would i be okay with medium sized diapers, or should i start gaining some weight? i'm one of those lucky people who can eat junk food all the time without getting fat, so gaining weight is really hard for me. i think i'm gonna be stuck in between sizes for quite some time :(

also, i live with my parents, so cloth diapers are out of the question. and i don't really want those anyway. way too much work with them

I would say if you're able to, just get sample packs for the sizes and try them out. Being in-between sizes does suck, from what you say and from what I've heard others say.

I too am one of the lucky ones (or unlucky, depending on how people see it) who can eat anything and not gain weight. So I feel your pain for this, but my issue is clothing, I'm a 30x34, but my waist is actually 29. I'm 6ft 4 inch tall.

I was in a similar boat. I thought I had one of those kinds of metabolisms, but in my case I was able to gain some weight (from 120 pounds @ 5'11" to 140 pounds). Basically I was overestimating my caloric intake because I almost never completely finished meals (I guess the opposite problem of fat people underestimating due to eating snacks).

As far as diaper sizing goes though, it's actually hard to get one that's legitimately too big if you can figure out how to tape it. Even when I was 120 pounds I was able to wear molicare large (bought large on accident once), though I had to criscross the wings in the front. It'll work just fine as long as you realize it's ok if it sags (actually it's beneficial because liquid can pool instead of running straight out the leg openings), and can encourage it to fold and crease in the correct spots.

First of all you are only 18 so yes your metabolism is in overdrive but that wont always be the case! When I was 18 size 28" jeans sagged off my butt, now I'm inbetween 31" - 32", down from 34". Just saying don't over due it with the junk food, good eating habits now will help you greatly later on. The recommended smallest size (32") on mediums is either hips or waist, which ever is bigger so I think you would be fine in a medium. As irnub said a little bigger is better than too small. If you can afford it try various samples from different manufacturers, I believe Northshore http://www.northshorecare.com/diapers.html still gives out free samples of their Supreme diapers (cloth or plastic backed).

different models of diapers size differently. Most of the diapers with the elastic waistband (tykabes, bambino, crinklz) are "half a size small" and you can use that to your advantage if you're between sizes. If you're between S and M, get an M and it should fit well.

Oh, and from memory a few of the mediums that tended to fit well even before I gained 20 pounds:

XP Absorbency+
Molicare super
Tena slip maxi (though I'm pretty sure they've changed since)

Also, the northshore supreme smalls now come in plastic backed. Last I tried one of their smalls was about a year ago and it was cloth-like outer covering, but I remember it fitting ok. Only thing about ordering direct from northshore is that while they do have discreet shipping it's... not as discreet as you might hope for if you're living at home. The from label says "northshore care supply" (compared to XP medical which just says "xp"), they've sent me random mail since ordering from them, and the last two times I ordered something from them the tape on the box was starting to split to the point you could easily see inside if you cared to pull on the flap. They do have an amazon storefront though where you can do the "fulfilled by amazon" option, which avoids most of those issues.

thanks for the help, guys. i can't order from anywhere else than the usual place i order from (can't explain why) so i think i'm gonna risk it and order two packs of M10 attends and maybe a pack of abena M4 next time i'm ordering. if they end up being too big i can just hide them under the bed for long term storage and when i gain some weight i'll have a bunch of properly sized diapers already available.

also, i did some more research and found the measurements of a medium sized abena and compared them to the measurements of one of my small sized diapers. and surprisingly, the difference doesn't seem to be that big. i think i should be good with mediums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back