Worried about being sleep trained/dependent on diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan09

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey all!

So after a few sort of 'test run' nights here and there, I've come to the conclusion that--for whatever reason, I've sort of become almost reliant on wearing a diaper to bed.

I don't wear out of need/IC or anything, but I suppose it's just a security/comfort thing? For whatever reason, when I try and sleep without one on, I can either barely sleep at all, or it simply takes me hours and hours to actually fall asleep.

I've been pretty fortunate in the past and have been wearing either a bambino teddy or a northshore diaper at night for quite a long time. BUT where my problem lies, is that in the quickly approaching future, I have a mega, 2 week long backpacking/climbing trip planned where I'll be sharing a tent with a friend of mine.

In short, does anyone have any sort of suggestion for either something that's sort of a stand-in substitute for a diaper for overnight? Preferably something that can be worn discreetly? Or is there a way to break a dependence on sleeping diapered in a relatively short amount of time..?

Best thing you can do is simply stop cold turkey. That is the ONLY way to do it. You have to force your body to readapt.

NovaDL said:
Best thing you can do is simply stop cold turkey. That is the ONLY way to do it. You have to force your body to readapt.

In this case, yeah, that's the right approach. Adjusting sleep, in my experience, is about doing something different consistently for at least a few days straight. If you just go to bed without diapers and lie there calmly, even if you can't sleep, you will fall asleep. You might be tired for a couple days, but your body will adjust after that and you'll start falling asleep. This is also the way one adjusts bedtime if you're used to going to bed really early or really late. You just have to do it the different way consistently for a while and you'll adjust.

Upside in your case is that exercising a lot will make you tired and I bet you'll have an easy time falling asleep no matter what. You could even screw trying to fix it now and just go cold turkey on the backpacking trip. I bet you'll be tired enough to fall asleep in any position with any clothing.

ArchieRoni said:
In this case, yeah, that's the right approach. Adjusting sleep, in my experience, is about doing something different consistently for at least a few days straight. If you just go to bed without diapers and lie there calmly, even if you can't sleep, you will fall asleep. You might be tired for a couple days, but your body will adjust after that and you'll start falling asleep. This is also the way one adjusts bedtime if you're used to going to bed really early or really late. You just have to do it the different way consistently for a while and you'll adjust.

Upside in your case is that exercising a lot will make you tired and I bet you'll have an easy time falling asleep no matter what. You could even screw trying to fix it now and just go cold turkey on the backpacking trip. I bet you'll be tired enough to fall asleep in any position with any clothing.

Usually I'd totally be all for being completely worn out to where I could fall asleep on a stone slab with a pillow made of pinecones or something...BUT the problem with this is that this backpacking trip I'm doing is..truthfully kind of a lightweight/wimpy one. We're not really going to be doing any serious hardcore actual hiking or climbing (although there will be at least*some*)---but rather it's more of a corny excuse for a small group of us to go hang out and goof off in the woods. It came up as an idea to go during the winter to avoid the usual tourists/out of towners and whatnot.

Going cold turkey wouldn't bother me in the least, except for the sort of annoying fact that I'm like a borderline insomniac-take-forever-to-fall asleep sort of person by default--and all my attempts to sleep without thus far have been pretty awful, and involved a lot of annoyed staring at the ceiling willing myself to finally fall asleep.

If you want a fallback- you could pre-put the right amount of pullups in the foot of your sleeping bag ahead of time.
It works for me in those situations, even if your planning not to use- but afraid it could happen, If you're first to bed no one will notice as you switch over for the night.

Dan09 said:
Usually I'd totally be all for being completely worn out to where I could fall asleep on a stone slab with a pillow made of pinecones or something...BUT the problem with this is that this backpacking trip I'm doing is..truthfully kind of a lightweight/wimpy one. We're not really going to be doing any serious hardcore actual hiking or climbing (although there will be at least*some*)---but rather it's more of a corny excuse for a small group of us to go hang out and goof off in the woods. It came up as an idea to go during the winter to avoid the usual tourists/out of towners and whatnot.

Going cold turkey wouldn't bother me in the least, except for the sort of annoying fact that I'm like a borderline insomniac-take-forever-to-fall asleep sort of person by default--and all my attempts to sleep without thus far have been pretty awful, and involved a lot of annoyed staring at the ceiling willing myself to finally fall asleep.

Okay, well, you've got several options then.

1) Go cold turkey now, along with a lot of practices to help bedtime: turn off electronics an hour in advance, have some warm milk, make sure you exercise during the day but not too close to bedtime, and be disciplined about it.
2) Go cold turkey then and just deal with being tired if you have trouble. You can always come back after and take some diapered naps.
3) Pack some diapers to wear and not use for the trip and deal with hiding it or telling your buddy (I have no idea if this is reasonable)
4) Pack a spare shirt or two and stuff them between your legs for sleeping to get the same bulky feeling without anyone really knowing and hope that covers you.

Kind of reminds me of how I used to sleep with my baby blanket up till my senior year of high school. I still have it today.

As for this situation, yeah, cold turkey is the way to go.

If you want a rather benign way to induce sleep take a Benadryl or equivalent generic. Find in the cold and flu part of your drugstore.

NovaDL said:

and the sooner the better

Tried going cold turkey last night for the first time. Wasn't too pleasant honestly. I physically laid down to go to bed at about 11PMish---and didn't actually fall asleep until some time after about 4am. Ouch.

If someone told me I would have a tough time sleeping without a diaper a few years ago, I probably would have told them they were crazy. -_-

Dan09 said:
Tried going cold turkey last night for the first time. Wasn't too pleasant honestly. I physically laid down to go to bed at about 11PMish---and didn't actually fall asleep until some time after about 4am. Ouch.

If someone told me I would have a tough time sleeping without a diaper a few years ago, I probably would have told them they were crazy. -_-

Just keep at it. You need to readjust. One day is typically never enough. It can take a few or more days to really start to get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back