Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I Have Any Chance in Music?

Default Do I Have Any Chance in Music?

This may seem far-fetched, and I really think it is. I've played piano for ever. I picked up guitar beginning of this year, been playing many hours a day, singing too. Do you think I am good enough to make a career of it? Is the music industry to crowded?

Its kinda hard to say if you are good enough for the music industry just off of that, you would probably have to post some sample music or something, and even then, there is a lot to be considered, such as networking. Although I'm no expert, so don't take my words completely to heart. I know there are a couple of musicians here who make a living on it such as Dogboy, so he really would be the best one to answer your question.

I guess the important thing is to ask, what is the minimum out of this career path that you would be happy with? Dogboy plays music for a church, which knowing guitar and piano would be good for that. It certainly wouldn't make the big bucks, but I suspect if you had a few gigs around town you could make it work. If you are hoping to make a middle class income, if you work really hard, it is probably doable. If you are trying to make a few hundred grand a year or more like the other big shot musicians, then you kind of have to be both lucky, and unique.

It is probably best to have a backup plan, and then spend your spare time making music videos and doing performances on the side, although If you really are trying to get attention of the masses, you might have to put in a full time effort to be recognized, it is a risky investment unless you get recognized quickly. I know some musicians who I think would be excellent as a popular artist, but they just haven't been recognized, and that is the big problem, people have to hear about you. There are some artists out there that aren't even that good, and they still make lots, just because the get discovered by the masses.

Do you write your own music? Have you ever done any performances? Tried making a music video? Do you have a group you play music with?

There's absolutely no way to know based on what you play, how long you've been playing, or even how well you play it, to be honest. If you put together a sample track or album, we could listen to it and give you a sense of whether we think you're good or not. That's a starting point and if a bunch of people really like your stuff, that might mean it's worth your while to spread it around, such as via YouTube, soundcloud, or bandcamp. If you end up with a bandcamp page with a bunch of your recordings on it and a lot of people like it, you might see some money come in as well as notice. Also, if you feel you're good enough, you could audition for live shows at clubs, bars, or other venues in your area, which can attract attention and maybe get you offers to bigger places if the right people like what you're doing.

The way one gets into music as a career is essentially by doing it for free or very cheap and being good enough for people to notice you and spread the word until something gets picked up widely enough or by someone important enough to get you an opportunity to support yourself making music.

If you want to do music, the internet I believe is the best way to accomplish that. Specifically social media, youtube, sound cloud ... ect are going you be your best friend. It's the best way to get noticed without having to jump through too many hoops.

Also, it really would be nice if you have a sample for us to check out.

Well you definitely have a chance, but I do know from experience that the entertainment industry is incredibly tough to break into and not only is a lot of talent and practice necessary, but also a lot of luck. Defiantly give a chance, network, and try and make it as that's the only way you can make it at all. Share your stuff online, promote your work, and get yourself out there. I wish you luck in an incredibly competitive field.

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Being in the industry myself, I would say this sums it up.

Good luck.

Wow I totally did not see people had posted back to me! Jeez! To answer some of the questiions. No I haven't written any of my own yet at least no lyrics. Up to this point I've been more an instrumentalist.

Here's clip of me singing and strumming guitar:

Sorry about the audio quality recorded via phone and uploaded to an unknown audio upload service!

You're pretty good! Have you performed in front of a live audience? Sitting in your garage or bedroom won't get you discovered. Musicians and actors are a dime a dozen. You need a unique sound or gimmick to get the industries' attention.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    You're pretty good! Have you performed in front of a live audience? Sitting in your garage or bedroom won't get you discovered. Musicians and actors are a dime a dozen. You need a unique sound or gimmick to get the industries' attention.
    Thanks! I haven't played in-front of an audience unless you count all the years of band in high school.. What gimmick could I come up with.. country covers of non country songs? XD

I love it! You're really good!

With hearing that, I would say .. yes! .. you most certainly do have a chance. I do know though that it's really hard to do, but I think you should at least try.