Thoughts on best adult cloth training pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I am looking between Super Undies, and baby pants. I like the Super Undies as they claim to be Water proof with out the need of an extra water proof pantie. But what other potty training pants have others found that you liked. I will have to say I have to look at the 38" waist range, I know that might limit my choices a bit more.

I am really tempted to go toddler mode, training pants during the day, and diapers at night with the little keeper sleeper over it to keep toddlers hands out of his little diaper.

babyboy said:
I am looking between Super Undies, and baby pants. I like the Super Undies as they claim to be Water proof with out the need of an extra water proof pantie. But what other potty training pants have others found that you liked. I will have to say I have to look at the 38" waist range, I know that might limit my choices a bit more.

I am really tempted to go toddler mode, training pants during the day, and diapers at night with the little keeper sleeper over it to keep toddlers hands out of his little diaper.

I've never tried Super Undies so I can't evaluate them, but I wear Baby Pants training pants daily as my go-to undies. They have two weights, "Almost a Big Kid" and "My First Training Pants". The "My First..." are probably twice as thick as the "Almost a B......". If you're going to wet them, you would need to also wear plastic pants over them.

I'm not in favor of the "all in ones" style diapers or training pants. Plastic pants have a short shelf life. Over a period of a couple months or more, the plastic will get hard and then crack. All you could do with them would be to cut or rip the plastic pant part out. It also takes them a long time to dry, and since you shouldn't put plastic pants into a dryer, it might take days for them to air dry.

Being a sucker for babyishness when it comes to diapers and whatnot, I'd vote for the Baby Pants trainers without a second thought. The available prints are just a million times more appealing to me than the comparatively plain, bicolor look of the Super Undies. Last time I investigated Super Undies, the adult line didn't include all the bright colors of the children's line either. *cue muted trombone* (Although perhaps that's changed?)

And then there are the issues that dogboy mentions, which are considerably more practical than my own. :)

I do get the appeal of an all-in-one, though. To use the Baby Pants trainers as you would diapers, you need to have plastic pants or a PUL cover or something, and those may seem a hassle to somebody who's used to disposables. I generally wear prefold cloth diapers, so I have a pair of pull-on vinyl pants that I use with those--and the Baby Pants trainers, when I feel like letting loose in them.

dogboy said:
I''m not in favor of the "all in ones" style diapers or training pants. Plastic pants have a short shelf life. Over a period of a couple months or more, the plastic will get hard and then crack. All you could do with them would be to cut or rip the plastic pant part out. It also takes them a long time to dry, and since you shouldn't put plastic pants into a dryer, it might take days for them to air dry.

I love training pants, and my wife make me some of the cutest ones a person could ask for, and we have a great time at JoAnn's picking out flannel together.

I also have a couple pairs of AC Medical (now Rearz?) plastic covered training pants left, from a decade ago, that have undergone numerous washings, and the plastics are still Gerber baby soft, so I'm not buying it when anybody says all plastics break down as rapidly as a couple months, ESPECIALLY when I ALWAYS dry them, inside out, in a mildly HOT DRYER. AAMOF, all my plastic pants have always been dried in a HOT DRYER, with jeans, shirts, socks, etc , and MOST last years and years, running through dozens and dozens of washing/drying cycles, almost all using dryer sheets for anti-static. Priva $3 plastic pants even do OK, for awhile.

What on Earth am I doing right that other people are doing wrong??? Are they using creams? Vaseline? Have terribly oily skin? Using the plastics alone for slippery fun? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have and use several pair of Babypants training pants (my first ... pants); I like them and find them very soft and comfortable, and they work well. I also have and use several pair of adult size training pants from Babykins; they are just as good as the ones from Babypants and are just as soft and comfortable. I bought the first pair of Kins pants from eBay, but after that I ordered directly from Kins in Canada. They had great ship time and no problems with Customs. Of course, with both brands, I must wear plastic pants over the top of the training pants to keep everything dry.

I'll also put a vote in for the ones from Babypants. I have the "My First Training Pants" as well. Very soft and comfy, and no mistaking the bulk! My wife thinks I look "very cute" in them as well.

How bulky are the "My First Training Pants" as I said before I want to start wearing them all day.

Depends on how much absorbency you need.

Minimal Absorbency: Tiger has a great range of colors and prints, but the core of their "training pants" is only four layers of standard underwear fabric. Specialty Underwear World is in the same category, but is only available in white (they're customized JC Penney briefs). Dependco has a range of "training pants" with thick, water-resistant covers available in a range of colors and prints, but with a minimal core that barely extends outside the crotch - they make for better covers or swim diapers.

Moderate Absorbency: The BabyPants "Almost A Big Kid" line is very nice - well-padded, decent absorbency, a range of colors and prints. The leg openings do seem to get loose over time, though. The BabyKins trainers are much the same, but the leg openings seem to hold up a bit better. QualityDiaper's Star Training Pants are a faithful copy of the Gerber design, but rather expensive and not as absorbent as you might hope. The Super Undies are similar to the BabyPants AABK line, but lack the range of colors and prints. All of these would have to be worn with plastic pants if water resistance is desired.

Heavy Absorbency: The BabyPants "My First Training Pants" has all the advantages of the AABK line, with more padding - comparable in thickness to some all-in-one diapers I've seen. Again, they have no fluid-tight layer, so plastic pants would be useful if you're expecting diaper-level urinations.

Are the Almost A Big Kid training pants visible under normal clothing? I'd kind of like to be able to wear them out and about.

both are impossible to see under regular clothes. Don't try my first under tight jeans or under spandex of course.

Under normal clothing, the Almost A Big Kid pants are not noticeable unless you're looking for them. The My First Training Pants, being more bulky, do show a noticeable bulge in the seat - though loose jeans could camouflage that.

Thank you. One more question: are the Almost a Big Kid ones able to hold a normal wetting? Even just one?

NovaDL said:
Thank you. One more question: are the Almost a Big Kid ones able to hold a normal wetting? Even just one?

With or without plastic pants?

Either.

The Almost A Big Kid pants would be able to withstand a moderate wetting, though I suspect they would be fairly soggy afterward. If you're expecting that you would need diaper-level absorbency, I'd opt for My First Training Pants.

Thanks. Well, I'll know on the 31st. I really wish Baby Pants sold directly instead of using Amazon. I had to create a separate Amazon account just for this because my account is shared with family (they enjoy leeching off my Amazon Prime).

NovaDL said:
Thanks. Well, I'll know on the 31st. I really wish Baby Pants sold directly instead of using Amazon. I had to create a separate Amazon account just for this because my account is shared with family (they enjoy leeching off my Amazon Prime).

They also sell on eBay, if that's an option.

NovaDL said:

Can't say on the almost a big kid, but the my first are AWESOME and will. If you need more capacity just stuff a few prefolds in it that you can get at walmart

I would skip the super undies .... I got a xxl pull on (child size) and an adult small snap on pair. At the beginning they were awesome, super soft and comfy ..... but now I cant get the smell out of them and they stink when dry and pass out gross smelling if wet. Right from the beginning they wicked at the crotch on the elastic and would leave wet marks on my clothes - no matter how little or large the soaker was in the center. We are talking my goodnights would hold 2-3 times the amount of liquid before leaking than the super undies. I also find the front part of the adult snap closure one too narrow, feels weird and for guys I could sense maybe an issue ... The xxl is a little tight on me, almost impossible to put more than one or two inserts in and the adult small tends to start to slide off my hips if it gets heavy, I need one tighter snap at the waist. The funness of having 32" hips and a 25" waist - grrrrrr. it all depends on the rise but sizes that are marketed to 25" tend to have a much lower rise than those marketed to adults of 32".

I do use them as a cover over disposables and they are great to catch the small leaks from the baby diapers and training pants I use lol. also adds some bulk to the insanely thin baby diapers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back