Strange unexplainable occurances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drifter said:
You don't need to apologize for posting a thread many people find interesting.

Some people enjoy speculating about the supernatural. For others it's fun to come up with rational explanations for strange occurrences, sort of like solving puzzles. Some of the puzzle solvers have such a fear of the unknown that they get a little obnoxious when confronting things that defy practical explanations. They stubbornly insist their "scientific" beliefs are the only possible answer.

I've experienced a few strange things that are kind of fun to try to analyze.

One example: In the basement of a house I had recently bought, there was a child's toy that had some round particles in it that made a distinctive noise when it was physically moved. It had no power source of any kind and no other moving parts. It was sitting flat on a solid concrete floor. For a couple of weeks I distinctly heard what sounded like someone playing with the toy, whenever I came down the basement steps for the first time on any given day. There was never anyone there and it never appeared to have been moved. The sound would start slowing down as I walked on the concrete floor, and it stopped completely after I turned a corner to where I could see it. I ruled out air currents because it most likely would have taken a 15 to 20 mph. breeze just to move it at all, and there were no noticeable drafts down there. No earthquakes and no noticeable vibrations, certainly nothing with enough force to move that thing. I was never able to duplicate the sound no matter what I did with the ductwork, plumbing, stairs, or walls. Never heard the noise again after it was thrown away.

The scientific method was actually created specifically for the soul purpose of reasoning. But the Greeks who developed the system decided that everything can be figured out through pure reasoning, and felt it was unnecessary to go out and measure anything.

Eventually Aristotle was the first to realize how important empirical measurement was, and building upon on what we already know. Measurement and observation. There is a pretty long history about the scientific method and what it entails. Just google it.

Point being is ... science is probably the best tool humanity has to come to an actual correct answer in almost every circumstance. It's much better to simply say "I don't know" then to randomly insert an answer that has absolutely no evidence at all. Also with the fact there has never been anyone capable of ever proving anything supernatural. In fact ... most of the time science does end up explaining things. It can just take time or sometimes there simply isn't enough evidence to come to any one conclusion.

I do like solving puzzles, but I also like being a person of reason without inserting the unknown into the equation simply because I don't have the answer. It also isn't about being stubborn, it's about being reasonable. Me being stubborn would be if someone actually had substantial evidence for their claims, and I simply ignored said evidence and refused to listen.

Also .. it's not a fear of the unknown .. it's a curiosity and wanting to know the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back