Not open for further replies.

Kai

Rep for Kai's Korner Shop
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Like the title says cloth diapers are awesome. I have been wearing them exclusively for about 6-9 months. It was the best decision I have made related to diapers. I heard that they were a ton of work and that there would be problems with them.

I started out with a diaper I bought from Snap-EZ. I was not that fond of the fit of that diaper and the quality was extremely lacking. As a seamstress I was able to see the big flaws in the manufacturing of that diaper. I decided that I wanted to try my hand at sewing my own diapers and so I bought a pattern. That pattern had some issues as well so I decided to design my own pattern. I finally struck gold!

I use a pocket style diaper so you have just a shell that you put inserts into to get the absorbency. I started out with a hemp fabric covered by flannel. I used about 3-5 inserts in each diaper depending on how long I needed it to last. Now I am using a fabric called Zorb 2 and I have to say I am really liking it. There are a few kinks to work out but I think I am on the way to having a great insert design.

The main reason that I decided to go with cloth diapers was because of my skins reaction to disposable diapers. I had constant rashes and was miserable.
The rashes have disappeared and I could not be happier.

The second reason is that cost. I was spending about 200 a month on diapers and I just could not afford that. With cloth diapers there is a big initial investment but it does pay off. For example I would spend 1200-1500 on disposable diapers each year. With cloth I can spend 1100 and have all the diapers I would need for several years.

It may seem like it is a lot of work to cloth diaper but I would rather do some more laundry than have to deal with constantly taking out garbage bags of diapers.

All in all it was the best decision I have ever made and I will never go back. That is not to say I will never use disposables they have their place, but I love my cloth diapers.

What are you thoughts on cloth diapers?

I wouldn't mind going with cloth to help curb the costs. I'm just waiting for a real legitimate product that is made for adults and adult bladders. I've been hesitant to buy modern cloth diapers because they look rather thin.

I have a prefolds set that I use and enjoy and can customize the thickness pretty easily.

Dependeco diapers seem to be the popular choice but they seem not to contain the liquid as many complaints have said.

I'll Always love disposables, and probably won't completely convert, but I am interested in helping the costs of disposables by wearing cloth.

Take away odor control and convenience, flat cloth diapers (newspaper fold) win hands down for me at night. Forget pointing direction or sleeping side, with cloth and plastic pants I simply sleep with at worse an occasional minor leak. I can’t say the same for disposables.

Newspaper fold -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqiEq_lddCE

Paul_L said:
Try the Rearz Nightime Prefold nighttime diapers. They have a 10 layer center with a 4 layer side.

http://www.rearz.ca/adult-nighttime-prefold-diapers-p-338.html

They’re no doubt excellent diapers. But I prefer single layer that tend to dry faster on the lines or rack. Plus I was raised in flat diapers, so .... And now as in my youth, to get the necessary bulk for overnight I wear multiple folded as shown.

Cloth diapers rule! I like traditional prefolds with plastic pants. So comfy!

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I wouldn't mind going with cloth to help curb the costs. I'm just waiting for a real legitimate product that is made for adults and adult bladders. I've been hesitant to buy modern cloth diapers because they look rather thin.

I have a prefolds set that I use and enjoy and can customize the thickness pretty easily.

Dependeco diapers seem to be the popular choice but they seem not to contain the liquid as many complaints have said.

I'll Always love disposables, and probably won't completely convert, but I am interested in helping the costs of disposables by wearing cloth.

I actually hate dependeco diapers. They leak so bad. I actually started selling my cloth diapers that I design. I have taken many of the adult cloth diapers and seen what is not good about them and designed my own. So far people seem to like them a lot. If you want a link to them you can PM me.

binkygirl said:
What are you thoughts on cloth diapers?

Ive actually recently done the same thing in reguards to switching to cloth. It came down to just wanting to have a few cloth diapers in order to offset how many cases of disposables i buy per year. So when my last case of dry 24/7 ran down i bought a few TAD (teen adult diapers) cause they were cheap and a few from dependaco too cause i love PUL and the idea of a PUL pocket cloth diaper sounded perfect to me.... Also, i already had 2 AIO (one with plastic back and one just cloth) from ABU but i didnt like them enough to go fully cloth back then.

But after i bought these last few ive started to really see how much better it is not having to constantly buy diapers. Plus its a bit better for the enviroment too. I can also still add a disposable booster pad if i really need too but i love pocket pul cloth diapers you can literally make them as thick as you want! They do feel more wet which i dont mind at all and when i come home i just change and wash them after its so convenient ! I dont think i would be half as into cloth diapers if i had to deal with flat squares of cloth material ( gauze,fleece,cotton,ect) and constantly fold and pin them. When thats the alternative i greatly prefer disposables and i quite distinctily remeber thinking "wow i love disposables, nothings better, ill never switch to cloth, to much hassle" ... Oh boy how i was wrong haha

With care itll last for a long time thus paying for itself. Best decion ive made about diapers in a while. Im still going to use disposable for situations where i cant launder easily but not for my daily use any more.

I use the dependico diapers with 2 stuffers, and combined with plastic pants they work very well - I sleep on my stomach\side. The PUL does still leak a bit, the main reason I got them was the pretty colours/designs.

binkygirl said:
I actually hate dependeco diapers. They leak so bad. I actually started selling my cloth diapers that I design. I have taken many of the adult cloth diapers and seen what is not good about them and designed my own. So far people seem to like them a lot. If you want a link to them you can PM me.

Do you know why they leaked for you? Was it the fit? Wicking at the leg gathers? How about absorbancy?:confused:

I started wearing Deendeco AIO's 3 years ago. Still wear them in the afternoon/evening. Now I wear cloth prefolds from
Changing Times Diaper Co along with booster for overnight. Being on fixed income I've saved a ton of money. Still wear A+
disposables in the morning/early afternoon. The morning time is when I'm prone to have a pooping accident when out
and about. Still using the same 8 prefolds and 10 Dependeco's.

okram said:
the main reason I got them was the pretty colours/designs.

I pretty much did as well particularly space race haha

Also i forgot to mention cause ithought it was obvious but daiper covers are a must when ever ANY kinda diaper is worn imo. That way you never leak no matter what position or how many hours urine them....ha get it? "you're in them" (unless ofcourse you abuse your absorbancy limit and soak every cuibic centimeter of pad there is)

But yeah i prefere leakmasters PUL pants from amazon, they are near indestructable and leakproof even after being washed everyday and yeah i know it sucks they're only in white but they literally stay white on the outside .....somehow. Maybe im just washing them too often but even so they have not begun to show any signs of wear which is amazing cause i use a dryer too. But most importantly, they work and keep it in until you can change

BabyBike1 said:
Do you know why they leaked for you? Was it the fit? Wicking at the leg gathers? How about absorbancy?:confused:

The fit was fine it is the fact that they do not do the Hidden PUL the right way. Plus I would wet once and the entire outside of the diaper would be wet.

- - - Updated - - -

SquishyTushy said:
But yeah i prefere leakmasters PUL pants from amazon, they are near indestructable and leakproof even after being washed everyday and yeah i know it sucks they're only in white but they literally stay white on the outside .....somehow.

I have a PUL cover pattern I just have not put them up for sale yet. But when I do they will be available in tons of Prints.

binkygirl said:
It may seem like it is a lot of work to cloth diaper but I would rather do some more laundry than have to deal with constantly taking out garbage bags of diapers.

Since laundering my diapers is a part of the whole cloth experience, I've learned to embrace it. Although it's really not difficult, the whole subject of laundering can seem a bit daunting at first. I recall how mystified I was when it came time to wash my first load of diapers! But there is a wealth of information available on this subject readily available on the net. Most sellers of cloth diapers have excellent instructions on their websites plus there are web sites that promote cloth diapering such as www.fluffloveuniversity.com that have more information than you may care to know. Learning to care for my diapers has increased my understanding of how they work, and enhanced the whole experience for me. Cloth diapers have a long history and I am proud to be a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back