Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Quitting College

Default Thinking of Quitting College

yeah, i honestly just don't care enough about the stuff im going to school for to actually do the work. Its getting more complex quick, and i just don't have the drive to push through it all.

really, i just want to drop out and be done with it all. Get myself a decent paying regular job and at the very least, a studio apartment to myself. Occasionally treating myself to things that i want. And im really completely okay with living the rest of my life like that. There's really nothing out there that i want to do or have a great passion for. i don't care about being rich, nor do i care if i make a name for myself. They sound nice, but it just doesnt really matter to me in the end.

thoughts? feelings?

I might just be vein, but I require lots of nice things to keep me happy. I went through college got two degrees. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't fun either. A good friend of mine always said. "Life is easy: You get in what you put out" honestly it is that simple.

Push through. Get the piece of paper that says you did all the work to graduate. It doesn't matter so much the major. Get your diploma. Find something at college you like and push through. If this is your first semester of your first year, know that it will get better. I'm guessing your post has something to do with end-of-semester projects/papers and exams. It's so tempting to want to stop. Don't stop. The last thing you want is having paid for and maybe being in debt for something you didn't finish.

This isn't about being rich. It's about being able to make it, period. It's about finishing what you started. That silly little piece of paper, the diploma, will have a bearing on the rest of your life.

I don't know anyone who has been through college - myself included - who hasn't been tempted at least once to quit. I walk there with you. Don't let that voice of defeat and exhaustion in your head stop you. Persevere, keep going, and know we're cheering for you. If you could get in you can get through with a diploma.

Quote Originally Posted by BachBrahms View Post

This isn't about being rich.
    For me it was completely about the money. If there was a way to get wealthy without college, I wouldn't have done it.

well im already pretty heavily leaning towards the drop out option. Just getting a regular job like ur average joe and that'll be that.

this college stuff is just too much work.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitas View Post
    well im already pretty heavily leaning towards the drop out option. Just getting a regular job like ur average joe and that'll be that.

Don't give up on yourself. You can do it! If I can you can, I promise. It's work. Life isn't easy, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. You gotta work through it. See how much better it could be by accomplishing this goal.

hmm, well, thx for your support and all, but im still going to be dropping out. i just really want out guys.

How long do you have left? If you have only been in for a year, then sure, but try and look for a trade you can get into. Working for a department store or something like that might work for a little while, but I know it can get hard for some people to keep dealing with. If you can get into a skilled labor, you can actually make some good money, and not have to try too hard to get started into it. At least that is the impression that I get from what I have seen.

If you have been working on your degree for a while now, and only have like a year or so left, you might as well finish it up, It is a good thing to feel accomplished in finishing something that was really difficult for you to push through, and it shows to employers that you were willing to work through all the crap to get your goal. I can totally understand needing a change of pace though, but if you can finish it within not too long, and not suffer too much mental anguish, then it might be useful to complete.

i'd say im about halfway thru, and its just getting to be too much, its only gonna get worse from here. i feel as if i peaked while everyone else is rushing ahead. so i just want to move on from this. Not to mention i've failed a class before and is looking like might fail another one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitas View Post

Actually, that's what the piece of paper is about... certifying that you are willing and able to push through bullshit to achieve a long term goal. Unless you're getting an engineering or medical degree, the stuff you learn isn't going to be very important the first few years of your career. By the time you advance to the point where the knowledge would be important.... its obsolete or you've forgotten it.

Even in the technical fields, its more about learning how to arrive at the solution than it is memorizing canned solutions.