Thread: Told my doctor about my bedwetting

Default Told my doctor about my bedwetting

Well, I started a new PCP doctor because I moved a few years ago and needed to get one basically for a small pain in my side, which turned out to be nothing after a short round of antibiotics. The issue though could have been kidney or a bladder issue.

The issue is that I've never brought up my bed wetting to anyone but my wife obviously. She doesn't accept the AB/DL lifestyle and doesn't really believe that I actually do wet the bed and is contempt with me having to get up between 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom. Which is basically how I have been handling it besides nights I know I am going to be exhausted and won't be able to get up. At that point I don't care what she thinks and I am getting my 8 hours.

So, since my exam last week, before the meds, my doctor found where the pain was, pressed it, and it killed. A couple hours later, I had a small pain in my bladder but it went away after a short while. Now the pain is gone but my bedwetting has happened every night since. Now my wife is genuinely concerned because if I go to the doctors, then she knows I am in pain. So on the follow up, I broke down and told her about the issue being worse in the last couple of days, she was kind of taken back for a second and then seem pretty caring about it and didn't make me feel bad. She thinks it might have to do with sleep apena but who knows its been years and I am sure I didn't have apena until recently. The kicker is I haven't told my wife I told the doctor. I just don't know if she would believe me but that's not the point of this thread.

So basically, what should I expect from her and what I should expect for upcoming tests. I am not a doctor person and really, I might tell her I am going to just deal with it because of the horror stories I keep hearing about urologists.

I think you should take her along with you to the doctor. Then she could see that it is a genuine problem.

Don't ignore bladder issues as they could lead to prostate cancer. You might not like the doctor or the exams that they perform, but it's sure better than being six feet under.

I agree take your wife next time, my wife has been very supportive and has been to every doctors visit with me regarding my OAB. She was able ask questions and get a better understanding of my issue, she also did research online and we both agreed diapers would be the way I handle my OAB and not bedwetting

Having a supportive wife makes all the difference glad your wife now realizes your issue is real.
    Seeing your doctor is a great first step but if you haven't already you should see an urologist as soon as you can and ask your wife to go with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo1882 View Post
    Well, I started a new PCP doctor because I moved a few years ago and needed to get one basically for a small pain in my side, which turned out to be nothing after a short round of antibiotics. The issue though could have been kidney or a bladder issue.

The issue is that I've never brought up my bed wetting to anyone but my wife obviously. She doesn't accept the AB/DL lifestyle and doesn't really believe that I actually do wet the bed and is contempt with me having to get up between 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom. Which is basically how I have been handling it besides nights I know I am going to be exhausted and won't be able to get up. At that point I don't care what she thinks and I am getting my 8 hours.

So, since my exam last week, before the meds, my doctor found where the pain was, pressed it, and it killed. A couple hours later, I had a small pain in my bladder but it went away after a short while. Now the pain is gone but my bedwetting has happened every night since. Now my wife is genuinely concerned because if I go to the doctors, then she knows I am in pain. So on the follow up, I broke down and told her about the issue being worse in the last couple of days, she was kind of taken back for a second and then seem pretty caring about it and didn't make me feel bad. She thinks it might have to do with sleep apena but who knows its been years and I am sure I didn't have apena until recently. The kicker is I haven't told my wife I told the doctor. I just don't know if she would believe me but that's not the point of this thread.

So basically, what should I expect from her and what I should expect for upcoming tests. I am not a doctor person and really, I might tell her I am going to just deal with it because of the horror stories I keep hearing about urologists.
    I dont know what horror stories youve heard about urologists although I cant deny its unpleasant , it is still worth going to see one
    uncomfortable tests are better than being stuck with a problem and just about anything is better than permanent damage
    can I ask what youve heard about urologists?

Quick question, has the pain you've been describing been on your left side right below the ribcage? I've been having a nasty pain there for about seven years now. If it is linked to a urinary problem, it would explain the ever increasing bedwetting issue. For me, I ran out of supples a while ago, which is bad news seeing as I've had around nineteen accidents in the past month alone. Sure I've told my parents, but they either say i'm over exaggerating or that it's all in my head. Apparently my head is making my bedsheets and mattress smell like urine.

I told my doctor about my bedwetting and was refered to a urologist and the continence nurse. They are so matter of fact about it there is no need to be embarrassed

I totally agree you should see your doctor and then on to a urologist. My problem was a different problem with peeing my pants after I had finished using the toilet. I never felt it coming until I was wet. Most times it wasn't much but once in a while I would be wet over a large area and it was needless to say extremely embarrassing, Like you I chose not to go to a doctor about it. After two years of first trying pads and pull ups, I switched to tab diapers. I would change out of my diapers when I got to the doctors office and back into them when I was leaving. A few months back I was really suffering from what I thought was major heartburn and needed my wife to take me to the emergency room after changing out of my diaper. There's a bit more to that story but turned out it was a heart attack and almost took me out.

After that my first visit back to my PCP, I let her know that I've been having incontinent issues, She asked a couple of questions and started to exam me starting with listening to my heart and lungs, I had lifted my shirt tail out and she started to move the stethoscope, when she said "you wear diapers". My diaper and plastic pants had become very visable at the top of my pants. When she finished that exam she asked me more questions and said I should see a urologist. She also ordered a pelvic ultra sound and x-rays and did a prostate exam, the results going with me to the urologist. The results were all good with the prostate.

The urologist calls it Post-micturition dribble. Treatments range from surgery, catheter bags, pills, and absorbents. Surgery in my case is not warranted yet. Medications are out due to the doses of other medications I'm currently on for the heart and diabetes and the side effects of the new ones would be. I won't wear the bag so that leaves the diapers and plastic pants I was wearing for the visit. We've agreed to keep monitoring it and I'll visit again in six months. So please by all means see the doctors. Not every urologist is a nightmare!

My wife has been a saint with her support and help. We are still dealing with my heart issues but things are positive at the present moment. She said she is so happy to have her husband back. Me in diapers was never a problem. I urge you to keep your wife in the loop and include her in all visits. We had our 33rd anniversary back in November and we are closer now than ever. Good luck to you in the upcoming days.