Thread: Rollover cable

Default Rollover cable

How exactly is one made? Does one simply entirely reverse the pinout of a standard straight-through cable? I am going to need to be making one for connecting a computer to the console port of a Cisco router, and I was wondering how exactly the pinout is (1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, etc., perhaps?) I know the actual crimping and assembly procdedure, all I need to know is the pinout of it.

Oh, and the console port is a serial port, NOT an Ethernet port.

Not sure yet, as I haven't recieved it yet. I was merely told that I am going to need to have my own rollover cable.

Edit: Switched "crossover" to "rollover". My mistake.
    Last edited by adaffme149; 20-Feb-2009 at 21:29. Reason: Switched "crossover" to "rollover". my mistake.

Well if you're talking about the standard CISCO console port, then it's going to be a RJ-45 to DB-9 cable

Cable pinout for: Cisco Console RJ45 to DB9 Pin
    Use this cable to configure a Cisco router through the Console port at the router.
    This cable is also suitable to be used with Sun T2000.

9 PIN D-SUB FEMALE to the Computer

RJ45 MALE CONNECTOR to the Cisco router

RJ45 DB9
    RTS 1 8 CTS
    DTR 2 6 DSR
    TXD 3 2 RXD
    GND 4 5 GND
    GND 5 5 GND
    RXD 6 3 TXD
    DSR 7 4 DTR
    CTS 8 7 RTS

Cisco Console RJ45 to DB9 Pin Cable Pinout - AllPinouts

Eh I wouldn't say that really. Most routers and switches these days have auto-switching ports.

In any case, here's a guide on making a Cat5 patch cable into a crossover cable: LWD - How To Make a Crossover Cable

If the router supports DD-WRT, I'd use it. You'd probably get a lot out of it with that firmware, as you'll be able to map the WAN switch to the main VLAN and LAN.

mm3 did you not read the original post? he said specifically he's trying to connect to the console port on a router. CISCO routers have standard console interface for console and debug features, and it is NOT ethernet.

I think I'm going to recieve an adapter to plug the rollover cable into, as in RJ-45 to DB9, so I can just create a standard rollover, and then use the adapter to convert it to DB9. Thank you for the pinout, though, it is appreciated.

Not sure yet, as I haven't recieved it yet. I was merely told that I am going to need to have my own crossover cable.
    I guess not, I read this post * and I thought he wanted to make a crossover cable.