Thread: Electronics get on my nerves.

Default Electronics get on my nerves.

Have you ever gotten so annoyed with electronics that you wanted to/have went out and just thoroughly destroyed (old and broken) something? Have you ever wanted to? Post your stories here, I'm curious as to who may have the best one.

I had my old Env2 phone, which was broke prior to this (So, no, please no "OMG RETARD I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT", it really wasn't useful with both LCD's cracked.) It costs 54 dollars to replace no matter how damaged it is, and my warranty covers both accidental and intentional damage, and all forms of damage, even loss or theft, but the deductible is always 54 dollars no matter what.) So, I decided, "What the hell? Let's have some fun with it."

I took this phone outside, drop kicked it as hard as I could (It went over my house! But my house is rather small.), emptied both my airsoft pistol's clips out on it, then emptied all 3 magazines of my airsoft M4 on it (each magazine holds 300 rounds.) (I wish I had a real rifle to do that, but then again, I couldn't shoot it with a real one in my backyard) I then took a can of WD-40 to it (and a lighter ), and by now the thing generally caught fire. (The fire was applied on a dirt patch, just to be safe, even though 90% of my yard is still snow/wet grass and slush.)

If I would have had some magnesium ribbon (used my last bit a little while ago), I could have toasted the phone with thermite, but I suppose SOMETHING has to go in the "broken phone return" envelope (and not a molten puddle of iron.) They will wonder what happened to this phone, but then again, as it covers both accidental and intentional damage, it's really none of their business. And if they DO ask, I dunno. Let em guess. :

These are the results:

Also note that certain parts of the Env2 are EXTREMELY durable. (The keypad half of the shell, for one. Anybody know what it's made out of? Just plastic, or something else?)

Anybody else gotten the chance to enjoy old, broken electronics like this? Pictures would be really awesome. =D
    Last edited by adaffme149; 20-Feb-2009 at 21:43.

Whoa. The thermite cure would have been pretty cool.

I've blasted all kinds of things with rifles, pistols, and shotguns. As far as electronics go, just computers and printers. Shooting printers with 12 gauge slugs is the best--pieces go flying everywhere. One time unloaded a magazine of 20 gauge target load on an old pc, and the worst I could do was knock it over. Didn't expect that. It was probably still functional after that ineffectual barrage. (It was thoroughly destroyed later...)

I wanted to keep the mangled case of that computer because I was planning on sticking new parts inside, but a roommate got rid of it (not recognizing the ballistic aesthetic), and my hopes were dashed against the rocks of in-the-box thinking!

That's pretty awesome, that a PC would still live through 20 gauge shotgun fire. =) I gotta try that sometime, but I'd be worried about ricocheting... A kid near me just somehow shot himself in the arm with a shotgun (blew off his cool new tattoo he was showing around everywhere, how ironic)... I still don't know how he managed it.

I feel fuckin awesome that people can destroy shit other people don't even have.

I am 21 years old, I don't have a cell phone and here you go and break one that I could most likely get fixed for maybe 25 bucks.

(And yes I know your sending it in to get repaired and no I don't really care what your next comment's are.) Also I know why your mother is insane now, look at the crap you pull. <_>

I work with electronics/IT on a daily basis.. my feelings exactly.

Okay, look, buddy. The phone was broke. As in, doesn't work. It has to go back, in either one piece, or five. I have to pay the same amount to get it replaced, either way, so I figured, why not have a bit of fun? I mean, I wasn't even the one that broke the phone (I had a door slammed into me by a coworker, not sure if it was on purpose or on accident, but it happened and the phone was broken.)

So, tell me, what would you do in my situation (where the phone HAS to go back, as well as all parts, or else they consider it theft, so that means no keeping any useful parts)? The fact that I had to get a new one and my old one broke so easy kinda bugged me, and so I got rid of a bit of stress, in a way that would affect nobody. And, no, you cannot fix two phone LCD's and a front keypad for 25 bucks. That's not how it works. So, if you want a phone, go out and buy one, and don't chastise me for having a bit of fun in a way that affects nobody but the company that has to receive this back. I'm sorry you don't have a phone, but I see no harm in getting rid of useless equipment in a fun manner.

I had an old Acer Aspire 3680-2682 (crap brand, by the way) laptop, which I had bought off another kid with my hard earned money, and then repaired myself, for leass than the total cost of a new laptop. I know how much it costs to fix things, and what things can and cannot be fixed. My Acer died, because my bus driver slammed on the brakes, thus sending me slamming into my backpack and cracking the motherboard and the screen (the screen, for the second time.) It would have cost more than the laptop would be new to replace both parts, so I took it apart, gave the 1 GB of DDR2 667 RAM to a friend who only had 256 MB in his computer, gave the processor to my college professor to use to teach the kids with, and still have the remaining useful parts (using the hard drive from it right now), and then we tossed the stripped remnants of it out of a dorm window because it was interesting. (We then cleaned up the parts, of course.) No harm done, just disposin of old and broken equipment in an enjoyable manner.

I do get pissed when you see on Youtube somebody like, burning a brand new PS3 or something, simply because they can, and even when my school has to throw out all the old computers, as opposed to putting them to good use for students that don't have one at home, but I also find destroying old and broken and irrepairable equipment an acceptable way to get rid of it. I know where you're coming from, but trust me, I'm not going around breaking good working equipment. Even my current laptop is an old thinkpad t40 that I bought used and repaired.

I know the value of old equipment, and when there is a lack thereof. And by the way, I was the original purchaser of the phone, and I am the one that pays the bill, and all this happened on my own time whilst my mom was away getting her precious cigarettes, so minus one for why she's crazy. This is one of the very few cases I'm willing to junk old equipment in such a way (I still have an Atari and NES sitting next to me, as well as countless sticks of old SD-RAM in a drawer, and up untill a few weeks ago, when I gave my friend my old Pentium 1 computer, because he wished to have an old computer to use Windows 95/legacy OS'es on, but had limited recources, I still had that, simply because they're still good. I'm a pack rat like that.) So, bottom line, lay off me. Enjoy the stress relief aspect of it. I wouldn't dream of destroying anything even remotely useful to anybody still, and I thought I made that clear in my first post.

Edit: I did read over my first post, and I know it did sound a bit like I would do this with just anything that needed a minor bit of work, but honestly, this is like, the third anythng I've destroyed, because it was broken beyond any use. The 2nd one was my old Acer laptop, and the first was my old hard drives which had crashed, because I make sure that if I'm getting rid of them, it's going to be secure. (And yes, they were TRULY dead, not just in need of a reformat or something. I know what I'm doing.)

Also, my apologies to anybody that may still be offended by this.
    Last edited by adaffme149; 20-Feb-2009 at 07:22.

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    Okay, look, buddy. The phone was broke. As in, doesn't work. It has to go back, in either one piece, or five. I have to pay the same amount to get it replaced, either way, so I figured, why not have a bit of fun? I mean, I wasn't even the one that broke the phone (I had a door slammed into me by a coworker, not sure if it was on purpose or on accident, but it happened and the phone was broken.)

So, tell me, what would you do in my situation (where the phone HAS to go back, as well as all parts, or else they consider it theft, so that means no keeping any useful parts)? The fact that I had to get a new one and my old one broke so easy kinda bugged me, and so I got rid of a bit of stress, in a way that would affect nobody. And, no, you cannot fix two phone LCD's and a front keypad for 25 bucks. That's not how it works. So, if you want a phone, go out and buy one, and don't chastise me for having a bit of fun in a way that affects nobody but the company that has to receive this back. I'm sorry you don't have a phone, but I see no harm in getting rid of useless equipment in a fun manner.

I had an old Acer Aspire 3680-2682 (crap brand, by the way) laptop, which I had bought off another kid with my hard earned money, and then repaired myself, for leass than the total cost of a new laptop. I know how much it costs to fix things, and what things can and cannot be fixed. My Acer died, because my bus driver slammed on the brakes, thus sending me slamming into my backpack and cracking the motherboard and the screen (the screen, for the second time.) It would have cost more than the laptop would be new to replace both parts, so I took it apart, gave the 1 GB of DDR2 667 RAM to a friend who only had 256 MB in his computer, gave the processor to my college professor to use to teach the kids with, and still have the remaining useful parts (using the hard drive from it right now), and then we tossed the stripped remnants of it out of a dorm window because it was interesting. (We then cleaned up the parts, of course.) No harm done, just disposin of old and broken equipment in an enjoyable manner.

I do get pissed when you see on Youtube somebody like, burning a brand new PS3 or something, simply because they can, and even when my school has to throw out all the old computers, as opposed to putting them to good use for students that don't have one at home, but I also find destroying old and broken and irrepairable equipment an acceptable way to get rid of it. I know where you're coming from, but trust me, I'm not going around breaking good working equipment. Even my current laptop is an old thinkpad t40 that I bought used and repaired.

I know the value of old equipment, and when there is a lack thereof. And by the way, I was the original purchaser of the phone, and I am the one that pays the bill, and all this happened on my own time whilst my mom was away getting her precious cigarettes, so minus one for why she's crazy. This is one of the very few cases I'm willing to junk old equipment in such a way (I still have an Atari and NES sitting next to me, as well as countless sticks of old SD-RAM in a drawer, and up untill a few weeks ago, when I gave my friend my old Pentium 1 computer, because he wished to have an old computer to use Windows 95/legacy OS'es on, but had limited recources, I still had that, simply because they're still good. I'm a pack rat like that.) So, bottom line, lay off me. Enjoy the stress relief aspect of it. I wouldn't dream of destroying anything even remotely useful to anybody still, and I thought I made that clear in my first post.

Edit: I did read over my first post, and I know it did sound a bit like I would do this with just anything that needed a minor bit of work, but honestly, this is like, the third anythng I've destroyed, because it was broken beyond any use. The 2nd one was my old Acer laptop, and the first was my old hard drives which had crashed, because I make sure that if I'm getting rid of them, it's going to be secure. (And yes, they were TRULY dead, not just in need of a reformat or something. I know what I'm doing.)
    I understand where your coming from, I know if i did it though I would of looked for a wood chipper, or a blender.

I didn't have a woodchipper handy, plus I would've feared getting it jammed in there/ dulling the blades. As for a blender... I'm not sure if a blender would blend the outer shell. This method seemed less destructive/risky to good stuff.

Also, on a semi-related note, since it seems people who are good with electronics are posting in this topic, does anybody know where a replacement battery for a Dell Axim x5 PPC can be obtained? I still have mine, and I've been trying to find a battery for it (mine died after years of use.) The unit works perfectly, the only issue is the battery doesn't hold a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    I didn't have a woodchipper handy, plus I would've feared getting it jammed in there/ dulling the blades. As for a blender... I'm not sure if a blender would blend the outer shell. This method seemed less destructive/risky to good stuff.

Also, on a semi-related note, since it seems people who are good with electronics are posting in this topic, does anybody know where a replacement battery for a Dell Axim x5 PPC can be obtained? I still have mine, and I've been trying to find a battery for it (mine died after years of use.) The unit works perfectly, the only issue is the battery doesn't hold a charge.
    eBay, or perhaps a battery store (like Batteries Plus, I know they used to do custom work).

The only problem with the latter would be cost. I've no idea if it'd be cost-effective, but it would at least give you an option, and they SHOULD be able to help, as batteries are just plates & paste, encapsulated in a jacket.

Eh, I'd be willing to pay quite a bit to get a working battery for it, as it really is a nice device, and I'd like to put it back into service. =) The CR2032 might even still be alive, keeping the RAM from clearing all these years... Imagine that.