Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying diapers at the store embarresing?

Default Buying diapers at the store embarresing?

I would buy diapers at the store but I don't want to be embarrassed by the cashier and the people around me! What if I see someone I know? Have you ever been embarrassed buying diapers in public? Has the cashier ever looked at you?

I have bought diapers at the store. I usually go to a store I don't normally go to. No one has said anything and they really can't as it's none of their business. Really, if you're buying baby diapers they will assume it's for a baby not you. If you buy adult diapers they would probably assume it was for an elderly parent. Most grocery clerks are too busy. Best advice given here many, many times: If you're nervous, go to a store with self checkout.

Usually the cashier doesn't care, you shouldn't worry too much about that, I used to think the same way but I realized there's nothing to be afraid, it gets easier the more you do it, and the reward is worth it!

Better yet, buy them online. Have never looked back since.

Also I knew you were more than "just curious" about making diapers so go for the real thing if possible. If the store bought method is the only way, go for Abena if they have them. You can also try drug stores, goodwill outlets, etc.

I must admit I was nervous/embarrassed for a while when I first started buying diapers from the store but quickly realize as some posters mentioned above that people don't care about what you are buying. If you are afraid of running into someone you know then walk around like you are browsing to scope out the store. Thats what I use to do when I first started buying from stores. If buying online is an option I'd recommend that I haven't looked back since I started buying online.

It's pretty common to feel embarrassed to buy diapers at the store when you first start out buying. I know I definitely was embarrassed when I first began buying, and I used the self-checkout to avoid any possible questioning about why I was buying diapers, regardless of how improbable such an event would be. And yeah, the cashiers generally don't care and are just trying to move the line along as quickly as possible and have no desire to question why you're buying whatever you're buying. The more you buy, the easier it becomes. Of course, it's best to just buy online.

Its actually a bit of a thrill, only ever once had the cashier in a pharmacy challenge me and and query if I was requesting the right product. she then pulled a face and went and fetched. out of 100s of times thats the only time that stands out for me.

I usually get mine at Walmart. My store is open 24hrs (so I usually go after 10pm) and do self checkout. While I'm shopping, I use a basket, so nobody can see what I'm buying. It's a pretty painless process.

I have only bought diapers maybe a dozen or so times, and always at a store. I was apprehensive at first, but it didn't take long to get used to. To minimize the chance of meeting anyone I know I go to a store a few miles away, and after putting the diapers in my basket I always go straight to the checkout. I usually use a self-service checkout but have used a normal checkout too, and the cashier didn't bat an eyelid.

Quote Originally Posted by PoweraidRed View Post
    I would buy diapers at the store but I don't want to be embarrassed by the cashier and the people around me! What if I see someone I know? Have you ever been embarrassed buying diapers in public? Has the cashier ever looked at you?
    You gotta just act normal, the cashier won't care what you buy, I work in retail and I get the item, scan it, give it back to the customer and then forget a little later even if the item I scanned was a pack of diapers. It's hardest the first time round and gets easier after that.