BareBum Diaper Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The BareBum Diaper is the first product of the new ABDL diaper vendor BareBum Diapers. This company put out its first announcements for its upcoming release in the middle of 2015, and recently released its first run of product in mid-November.

I am reviewing the medium size BareBum Diaper as shipped in November 2015. The medium size is listed as fitting waist sizes of 28"-38" and the large size is listed as fitting 38"-48".

Appearance, Size, and Features

The BareBum Diaper has printed packaging. Their chosen print seems less babyish and more professional adult – it's minimalist, white translucent with an area that is completely clear, and the side has "#WearProud" printed on it. It is designed so that the diapers inside the package are very visible.

274-11-packfront.JPG

274-12-packside.JPG

Front and Back of Packaging, Respectively

The BareBum Diaper has an all-over print, with baby blocks printed with the first four letters of the alphabet in 4 different pastel colors on a white background. The sides have a vertical stripe patter with blue stripes covering most of the wings and a narrower area of green stripes abutting the central pattern. The plastic has a slightly rough feel to the touch.

The landing zone is a glossy, transparent layer overlaying the front of the diaper, with feel and consistency of thin packing tape.

274-1-FrontFolded.JPG

274-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 8.3 cm (3.3 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 2.8 cm (1.1 in). Among high-capacity diapers, they are relatively thin while dry.

274-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

The BareBum Diaper uses the conventional double tape design seen on most adult diapers. The tapes have a blue tip without adhesive to pull on and are noticeably wider (4 cm, 1.5 in) than most diaper tapes. I found them to stick well and stay adhered.

274-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The inside of the diaper has a large teal-colored core surrounded by white, and the padding is arranged in an hourglass shape. The padding feels dense and flat rather than fluffy, and has a dry, cottony texture. The diaper has tall and especially stretchy standing leak guards. It has a single elastic waistband in the back.

274-5-outside.JPG

274-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 72.5 cm (28.5 in) in length, 64 cm (25.3 in) in width at the wings, 31.5 cm (12.4 in) in width at the center, and 20.3 cm (8.0 in) in width between the leak guards.

274-7-length.JPG

274-8-widthwing.JPG

274-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a diaper on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting.

The diaper absorbed liquid very quickly early in the test, but after 900 mL of water it felt as though the rate of absorption was slowing. At 1200 mL, I noted that the diaper seemed to have saturated all of the area near the front of the diaper. At 1500 mL, I began to notice wetness at the leg cuffs. By 1700 mL, I felt like I was sitting in a puddle and there was substantial wetness near one of my upper legs. At 1800 mL, the diaper began to leak on my chair, and I ended the test.

The diaper had substantially and disproportionately relative to its originally thin size. I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 9.5 cm (3.5 in), about 3.4x its original size. The tapes held throughout this test.

274-10-heightfullV2.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 5 hours. During my test, I had several large wettings and some minor wettings, but did not flood it.

With a 36" waist, I am towards the top of the listed size range for the medium. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands. I'm a bit surprised that I'm only a couple of inches from the top of the medium size range, as this diaper fit similarly to other mediums for which I'm more in the middle of the listed range, and these did not seem markedly different in size from them.

The tapes were consistently effective. This has been a common problem with "premium" diapers in the past, but it's one that an increasing number of diapers, including the BareBum diaper, have appeared to solve with larger, higher-quality tapes. At no point did I even have reason to worry that the tapes might pop, even as the diaper neared capacity.

One issue I did have is that the plastic film layer used for the landing zone had a tendency to come loose at the bottom edge and peel upwards under the stress of being worn. This isn't an issue that affects performance, but it's unusual and I did find it annoying.

The plastic gives a fairly typical crinkle, comparable to other diapers.

Price and Final Thoughts

I purchased these diapers from www.barebumdiapers.com. They're $158.95 for a case of 80, $68.95 for 3 packs, and individual packs of 10 are available for $28.95. At the time of this writing, there is currently a free shipping promotion being offered – shipping was not free on all sizes at launch and it remains to be how it is priced going forward. At full case of 80 diapers, this works out to $1.99/diaper.

This is a solid diaper. Its capacity is in line with other "premium" diapers, its tapes hold well, and it has a believable generic baby print. At its $2 price point, however, there are now clearly better diapers on the market. This is a diaper that would have been impressive before the surge in new ABDL diapers over the past 2 years, but now is somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Still, if you like this print, it's definitely worth giving this diaper a try. It's a quality product that avoids many of the pitfalls that other ABDL diapers have had over the years, and it's a promising sign to see a new company get these details right on its very first product.

Last edited:
among the AB/DL focused diapers, which of those would you personally rank worse then these?

Is there an error in the pricing? $68.95 for 40 and $158.95 for 80? It seems that half case option would be cheaper lol.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Is there an error in the pricing? $68.95 for 40 and $158.95 for 80? It seems that half case option would be cheaper lol.

It's 30 for $68.95. Apparently they don't do a full half case.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:

Trevor said:
It's 30 for $68.95. Apparently they don't do a full half case.

Good point - I've reworded it to just say "3 packs" which is more accurate and less confusing.

I did read someone's post somewhere stating they think Barebums are structurally the same as MyDiaper Night varieties, can anyone substantiate this (I think MyDiaper Night are amazing.)

Curious are you going to be reviewing this diaper again now that abu has its hands on it?

Advice please. Are these diapers discreet for daytime wear?

Back