Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto repair !

Default Auto repair !

Hey, I wanted to create a thread for people who like or do their own car repairs or maintenance.
    Recently I got really interested in car repairs, nothing too fancy but just the basic stuff, I've learned a lot from some great youtube channels and forums to do my own repairs.

Have you worked on your own car ? Maybe you could share your stories or experience with us, or if you're looking for advice someone could help you out !

I used to, back before they were computer controlled. I had a couple cars in the 1970s that I raced on the 1/4 mile track. I pulled my engine out of my 340 Duster, tore it down to the short block and had it bored .030 over and had some TRW racing pistons installed. Cars were fun to work on then. Now, they seem like nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I used to, back before they were computer controlled. I had a couple cars in the 1970s that I raced on the 1/4 mile track. I pulled my engine out of my 340 Duster, tore it down to the short block and had it bored .030 over and had some TRW racing pistons installed. Cars were fun to work on then. Now, they seem like nightmares.
    That's amazing ! I like the look of the 340 Duster, my uncle has one but It needs a lot of restoration and you're right about everything being computer controlled, and it's worse for the consumer if the car has a problem, you need to pay a lot to diagnose the issue let alone fix it, right now I am dealing with a check engine light on my sister car, I investigated about it, but a lot of things could cause that problem.

I've no idea how to when distribution or motorhead. Suspense mecanisms prefere by profesionals - very hard work without apropiated stuff. But all what's eletric, leaks not from motor, change oil, filters or brakes always by myself.

me do, too.
    i'm in UK, not IS US so a lot of stuff is different, and the only internationally worthwhile stuff in my noggin is that there's a glut of steel at the moment; which is why making my own car-ramps,
    Attachment 25000 was so reasonable in cost. don't delay, buy today.

oh, and wearing sturdy gloves is better than scuffing knuckles and cutting fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    me do, too.
    i'm in UK, not IS US so a lot of stuff is different, and the only internationally worthwhile stuff in my noggin is that there's a glut of steel at the moment; which is why making my own car-ramps,
    Attachment 25000 was so reasonable in cost. don't delay, buy today.

oh, and wearing sturdy gloves is better than scuffing knuckles and cutting fingers.
    Those are some good car-ramps, great job ! I also like to work with gloves, specially in oil changes

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySmoker View Post
    I've no idea how to when distribution or motorhead. Suspense mecanisms prefere by profesionals - very hard work without apropiated stuff. But all what's eletric, leaks not from motor, change oil, filters or brakes always by myself.
    Indeed, it's a very difficult job if you don't have the right stuff

I bought my first car at age 15 a "67" ford Fairlaine 500 Country Squire with a sized motor. By the time I got my license at 16 I had bought a wreck with a good motor, swapped it out and restored the rest of the car's issues. I wish I could still bench a C-4 in to place with out a jack. Over the following 40 years I have worked on about every kind of vehicle from dirt bikes to heavy trucks and done every kind of work from frame up restoration, body & paint to engine building. Today's cars strike fear in many but their really much simpler than the cars of my youth, no carburetors no points or distributors no timing chains or gears (belts are so easy!) plugs last 100k miles not 1200 and no matter how dirty the air filter the computer keeps the mix just right. The only down side to modern cars is space and the many covers, splash shields and the like that require careful removal before work and replacement after, (yes their important so put them back!). Buy a manual and read it before you open the hood! And a code scanner is not too expensive.
    Yes I am a professional mechanic, not automotive though but industrial machinery & power equipment.

acorn

Ade, tell mum she did a good job.

When I was in hospital in January, there was a guy there with crush injuries to his lower body, the car came off the axle stands just like you discribed in the previous thread. I've seen him only two weeks ago, still attending orthopaedics as an outpatient. It is with that in mind, I'd like to see a diagional brace on the two square box sections, on the high end of the ramps.

PS: Did you keep up your end of the bargin with mum?

I do small repairs for my AUDI. I cant do much in my parking lot because of the rules, but ive still replaced purge valves and headlights. The best part of this car is that I payed very little for it so I can mess around without worrying about permanent damage so I can learn a thing or two.

I'm compelled to do auto repair by my cheap genes. Older cars, expensive labor, unless its something requires really expensive specialized equipment that I don't have, I'll do it. Computer technology has made some repairs more difficult for the amateur, but on the other hand, internet forums and youtube mean there's almost always someone who has done the job before and left instructions and video out there for you.

Sometimes I have to call Junior over for suspension parts that require torque only he can generate (former heavyweight wrestler...), sometimes I have to consult my professional mechanic neighbor (he consults with me for electronic issues).