Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Default Happy Thanksgiving

Here in the US we are celebrating a holiday this week. Regardless of where you are, I am thankful for you as part of this awesome support group. Thank you for being there for me. I will be on extended holiday from this forum until further notice. I need to get into a different frame of mind. Bye for now.

Aww! Well, Happy Thanksgiving to you and I hope all is well with you. I, for one, will miss your excellent input. Hurry back!

Happy thanksgiving to all and a big thank you to Moo for this site.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you guys! I couldn't have asked for a better more supportive forum!

The Holiday season reminds me I've grown old and alone. I'm thankful they will be over in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    The Holiday season reminds me I've grown old and alone. I'm thankful they will be over in a month.
    I would hate to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas alone, so I'm sorry Nam.

I hope all is well, Facinating. You are a good contributor so you will be missed. As for this site and its members, I enjoy you immensely.

There are worse things. Its just me and Mrs. Maxx and Junior's dog this year. We used to go to my Aunt's house, since she's my only relative close by, but she has a million loud obnoxious kids and grandkids (they're loud in part because she's deaf....or maybe that's WHY she's deaf!) they give me a headache, and I'm not much for crowds anyway. I finally gave up on that a few years ago.

Junior has to make a multi-day trip to his in-laws (annoying for him, although he gets some relief going out fishing or hunting with his father-in-law). My daughter, parents and siblings are scattered across the country as far as its possible to scatter and I refuse to drive or fly with all the other lemmings. Mrs. Maxx's remaining relatives are far away, insane (literally), or both.

I'm fine with a day in front of the TV watching parades and football. Mrs. Maxx will be puttering around the kitchen making stuff, even though I don't like to eat that much. I'll make up for it by watching one of the games from the saddle of my basement bike trainer. Yeah, there's a big screen down there. And a tile floor for the inevitable lake of sweat. Due to quirks of airflow, the basement is warmer than upstairs when the furnace is running.

All that said, Happy Thanksgiving. I know I'll enjoy it, even though it doesn't sound like it. Christmas? Despite the already-mounting hoopla, that's a month away! No point thinking about that, I could easily be hit by an asteroid before then.

At some point in the proceedings, Mrs. Maxx will have to tolerate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

I suspect you might be old enough to appreciate it.
    Last edited by Maxx; 24-Nov-2015 at 18:04.

You're really not alone as you think you are. The media gives us the impression that Christmas is a 'special time' with children, family, friends and lots of presents under the tree. The reality is far different for many, perhaps even the majority of the population. In my time working at the local distress centre, I discovered it was a time of year that challenged many people, who were depressed because they weren't feeling the joy of the season. Many of them were dealing with limited income, a breakup, unemployment, or had difficulties in forming relationships. This time of year just amplifies their feelings of loneliness or stress for not being financially well off enough to provide the items their children wanted. Christmas can be hard, but you'd be surprised how many people are feeling overwhelmed by the holiday, and will be just as happy as you to see the backend of it.

It's unfortunate that the media portrays this as a time of peace and joy, when the truth is, it's a very hard time for many people.

So whatever you decide to do, don't worry about it. There's a lot of people who feel the same way. It's overrated, and the reality is nothing compared to the fictional, fairytale portrayal of the holidays that we see in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    So whatever you decide to do, don't worry about it. There's a lot of people who feel the same way. It's overrated, and the reality is nothing compared to the fictional, fairytale portrayal of the holidays that we see in the media.
    Ain't that the truth.

Fun and entertainment is where you find it though... Before they started opening stores ON Thanksgiving, we'd take the short walk to a nearby shopping center at midnight to watch the frenzy when they opened the doors.

THANK YOU guys for your kind and supportive replies, not to worry I'm not about to throw the rope over the old oak tree just yet. The holidays have been stressful as far back as I can remember, 3 or 4 I'd guess there are some horror stories to almost rival Phoebe Cates's in Gremlins. My parents and sister are getting together half a world away to pretend we had a happy family in the 60s and wish me to join them, they were abusive, dismissive and demeaning, the dog got more respect, I cannot be part of the hypocrisy. Still that is nothing new I think the 25th year party my boss held for me at work yesterday had me down more, a lame thank you speech and a $350 check. I got $400 on my 20th year and more than that for my first Christmas bonus after only a month on the job. It's been ten years since we've had a bonus and three since my last raise, I feel I've wasted my loyalty to what the company once was.
    I'm 56 now and look like i'm in my late 30s, in good health, own my home fully paid for and do have a small circle of good friends here as well as many others on my two favorite forums.
    I do have many reasons to be grateful!