Good Diaper Pails for Adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dekor XL in the washroom, roughly similar in size to a smaller kitchen garbage can. It holds a week worth of diapers for me (infrequent wear, call it around 12 Adult mediums) Works well. Haven't finished the first insert yet, have a refill box in the closet.

Gadget1982 said:
So rather then twisting to seal the diaper you just push the diaper into a regular trash bag right?

Yes!
I use regular kitchen trash bags with my Playtex Diaper Genie.

I use a Dekor diaper pail it sits right by my bedroom door and no one has said anything about my room smelling.

Thanks for all your guys help. I think I may end up getting the Décor plus or xl. I would like to look at them in person but I may just have to get it online. Thanks for all the help.

They sell them at Toys R Us and Sears, so if those stores are close you could go there and look at one. It looks like a very nice pail from the pictures I have seen. Let us know how you like it once you get it.

jdinvirginia said:
Rubbermaid makes regular trash cans, with lids, in various sizes from about 13 gal. to 50 gal. They are intended for use as outdoor trash cans, but the smaller sizes work great for diapers. I keep the 20-gal size in my garage to store used cloth diapers until the next wash. Works very well.

Also, I would note that the Rubbermaid trash cans are considerably less expensive than anything advertised as a "diaper pail!":D

--John

John, I have come to the same conclusion and make use of the same solution.

I buy 60ct 1gal ziploc bags on a regular basis. Wet diapers get rolled up and sealed into one of those before going in the can. Keeps it from getting ripe for a good 3-4 days. Clearly those bags aren't quite hermedically sealed, but they help quite a bit. Otherwise you'll be taking out the trash a lot more often. ALSO even tied off trash bags seem to bleed a bit of odor out somehow, and the ziplocs help keep the taken out bags from stinking up the can (much) before the trash man comes. ymmv.

I bought a Sterilite Ultra Step-On at Target after reading several reviews which mentioned using it as a diaper pail. The 2.5 gallon size I have is very small, but it holds three pocket diapers and liners. There's an inner liner I can empty directly into the washing machine. I think I spent $10; there are larger sizes available but most don't incorporate the step-on opening mechanism.

Honestly you do not need something that is designated as a diaper pail. If you find a trash can with a lid you can then put something on the lid to help with the smell. We use a lidded trash can and we put a garbage bag in there and it works great. Yes the smell can get out a little when you open it but there are things you can do to help that. It is much cheaper and may work better than any actual diaper pail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back