Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MRI advice

Default MRI advice

I know this is very similiar to my recent update post so Ill keep things short
    the basic thing is that Im looking for advice or experiences in regards to MRIs
    Im going to be in the tube for 70 minutes for a full spine and head scan without contrast
    as mentioned in my latest post will be wearing only a gown and diaper and Ive asked that they provide a pad or something similiar for me to lay on in case of leaks
    they said there are mirrors so I can see out of the machine and Ill probably have music and headphones
    the machine is one with a 70cm bore so better than some size wise I assume
    basically just want any tips advice or experiences and questions are also welcome
    if anyone has had one done Id like to hear how it went and if incontinence was a factor during it

I have had a number of MRI and CT scans both with and without contrast. Basically, you can expect a technician eager to get you ready for the machine and a while spent inside a tube not moving. The technicians only care about patient safety and machine operation. They do not have time to concern themselves with much beyond that. They have seen so many people in a gown there it is routine. Diapers are probably not rare either. They try to make the patient comfortable while knowing how uncomfortable people are with hospital gowns. That is just part of their job.

My scans have all gone fine. Did have one instance where my shoulders were a little too broad for the machine and I had to adjust my shoulders until they entered the machine. That was in Japan where the technicians did not know English, I do not know Japanese, and a translator was present. You should be fine in this regard. The only part I hate is CT scan IV contrast due to the whole body burning sensation and the feeling of having wet myself. No wetting actually has taken place, but the contrast messes with the nerves that much for a few minutes. Beyond that, I have not had any incontinence issues related to a scan. Have had to ask to use the bathroom right before a scan and had to go between two different scans once. The technicians didn't mind.

The process is simple. The technician calls the patient back, gives directions for clothing changes, waits for the patient to change clothes, and then gets the patient onto the machine bed. Once in place, the bed moves into the machine and the imaging starts. Expect no metal anywhere near the MRI machine, the bed to move back and forth, and the machine to be noisy. Not sure how music is done. Once imaging is over, the bed comes back out, the technician helps the patient off the bed, and the patient is allowed to change and leave. Then the technician hurries to clean up the area before getting the next patient.

Given the length of some of the scans and how difficult a potty break would be, I am fairly sure they have seen more than one person have trouble holding their bladder. The bed is easily cleaned and recovered with fresh linens. These machines may be used for unhealthy individuals; incontinence is likely to be the least of their concerns. Elderly people, trauma victims, and post-surgical patients regularly get scanned with all of their other health problems. Imagine using an MRI machine on an elderly patient with dimentia, functional incontinence, clostrophobia, and bleeding problems. Good luck with that. Your scan should be fairly routine by comparison.

Hope the MRI goes well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    I have had a number of MRI and CT scans both with and without contrast. Basically, you can expect a technician eager to get you ready for the machine and a while spent inside a tube not moving. The technicians only care about patient safety and machine operation. They do not have time to concern themselves with much beyond that. They have seen so many people in a gown there it is routine. Diapers are probably not rare either. They try to make the patient comfortable while knowing how uncomfortable people are with hospital gowns. That is just part of their job.

My scans have all gone fine. Did have one instance where my shoulders were a little too broad for the machine and I had to adjust my shoulders until they entered the machine. That was in Japan where the technicians did not know English, I do not know Japanese, and a translator was present. You should be fine in this regard. The only part I hate is CT scan IV contrast due to the whole body burning sensation and the feeling of having wet myself. No wetting actually has taken place, but the contrast messes with the nerves that much for a few minutes. Beyond that, I have not had any incontinence issues related to a scan. Have had to ask to use the bathroom right before a scan and had to go between two different scans once. The technicians didn't mind.

The process is simple. The technician calls the patient back, gives directions for clothing changes, waits for the patient to change clothes, and then gets the patient onto the machine bed. Once in place, the bed moves into the machine and the imaging starts. Expect no metal anywhere near the MRI machine, the bed to move back and forth, and the machine to be noisy. Not sure how music is done. Once imaging is over, the bed comes back out, the technician helps the patient off the bed, and the patient is allowed to change and leave. Then the technician hurries to clean up the area before getting the next patient.

Given the length of some of the scans and how difficult a potty break would be, I am fairly sure they have seen more than one person have trouble holding their bladder. The bed is easily cleaned and recovered with fresh linens. These machines may be used for unhealthy individuals; incontinence is likely to be the least of their concerns. Elderly people, trauma victims, and post-surgical patients regularly get scanned with all of their other health problems. Imagine using an MRI machine on an elderly patient with dimentia, functional incontinence, clostrophobia, and bleeding problems. Good luck with that. Your scan should be fairly routine by comparison.

Hope the MRI goes well for you.
    Great description.

The only thing I'd add is that in my experience, the headphones with music wasn't just for entertainment. The machine itself was very noisy during the test: lots of whirling, knocking, and banging.
    In my case, diapers would've been inappropriate because I only have had medical issues at night or while sleeping. I do remember the room being white quiet. So for someone trying to be discrete about it, I'd say it's impossible in that context!

Unless the headphones don't use a magnetic driver to produce sound, you won't be able to take them into the same room as the MRI machine. 70 minutes is a long time to be still under one of those things - mebbe the techs can pipe in music or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    Unless the headphones don't use a magnetic driver to produce sound, you won't be able to take them into the same room as the MRI machine. 70 minutes is a long time to be still under one of those things - mebbe the techs can pipe in music or something.
    Correct. I have seen headphones like the really cheap airline ones where it is just a pair of small tubes plugging the ears and transferring sound. The last MRI I had they just gave me a pair of ear plugs. Regardless of how the music is done, basically all metal and magnets are kept away from the machine. There are some metals which are MRI safe, but the technicians normally assume metal is not safe out of caution.

My MRI had piped in music. They asked me what kind I wanted, and I think I chose some sort of pop rock, but I never heard much of it because the machine was so loud. I'm sure you will not be allowed to take an IPad or anything into the machine with you because the machine uses very strong magnets. In fact, if you have a metal screw or plate, the machine will pull it right out of your body.

Gadget1982

Default Mri

I have had several MRIs and CT scans also. I am incontinent and wear diapers full time. They don't mind if you wear diapers in there. All the times that I have been in one they have a set of headphones that are like the airliners that use air for the music. They tend to have just about any kind of music you can think of that they can play for you. Just try to relax as best as you can while you are in there. I have been know to fall asleep on some of my scans and they don't mind as long as you are still during it. If you have a comfort blanket that doesn't have any metal they may let you have that with you. Please let us know how it goes for you.

its a foolish question but has anyone experienced pain or headaches or dizziness or weird feelings at all while in the machine?
    I dont know why Im so scared its still almost 2 weeks away but Im really nervous about it
    thanks for all the posts so far

Gadget1982

I have had muscle twitches and a warm feeling I places but that's it for me.