Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Link between... Different people and AB/DL

Default Link between... Different people and AB/DL

I've noticed that there are a really high concentration of... Strange.... People.. Well not really strange but... I don't have a word for it.

What I mean is that a AB/DL us really often either LGBT or knifes the autism spectrum somewhere.

For what I have seen, there are 3 main cases or triggers for AB/DL'S.. First one being dependency, if the are IC or were/are bedwetting they have a high chance to grow into this community. They second are those of harsh childhoods, those who never really got to be kids so they want to experience that with someone or by themselves. The third and the most mysterious, those who have no idea how it started, just one day made a makeshift diaper and loved it. Strange thing is. Those people tend to be either LGBT and/or on the autism spectrum, most diagnosises being developmental issues, so maybe it is one thing they never grow out of?

Tell me what you think

I don't really know, I think it's just one of those things that you can't pin down on a certain group or category of people. It just happens.

Also, it seems the majority are under 25. Once careers and relationships are established, members tend to drift away from here. At least that's my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Also, it seems the majority are under 25. Once careers and relationships are established, members tend to drift away from here. At least that's my observation.
    ADISC is explicitly a support site, and it's generally younger members who are in need of support. Older members have usually had sufficient time to come to terms with their desires, and integrate them into their lives.

- - - Updated - - -

There was some discussion about this a while ago. My view is that the sample is biased. It's not necessarily that ABDL is more prevalent among autistic spectrum or LGBT, just that they are more visible, online or otherwise. Autistics have fewer inhibitions, and LGBT are already dealing with scorn and prejudice, so what does a wierd fetish matter on top?

Basically, straight, neurotypical ABDLs are far more closeted about it, so they don't come to your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenka View Post
    I've noticed that there are a really high concentration of... Strange.... People.. Well not really strange but... I don't have a word for it.

What I mean is that a AB/DL us really often either LGBT or knifes the autism spectrum somewhere.

For what I have seen, there are 3 main cases or triggers for AB/DL'S.. First one being dependency, if the are IC or were/are bedwetting they have a high chance to grow into this community. They second are those of harsh childhoods, those who never really got to be kids so they want to experience that with someone or by themselves. The third and the most mysterious, those who have no idea how it started, just one day made a makeshift diaper and loved it. Strange thing is. Those people tend to be either LGBT and/or on the autism spectrum, most diagnosises being developmental issues, so maybe it is one thing they never grow out of?

Tell me what you think
    It's impossible to say really. Being an ABDL, an LGBT person or having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder is not information that everyone will readily volunteer about themselves, nor are they easy for another person to identify. There are no truly accurate official statistics about the size and make up of the LGBT population, the population with ASD, and of course none which cover the ABDL population. All we have is estimates (numbers for UK) - 1% of the population with an ASD, 5-7% are LGB, there are 4000 people in the UK who have a legally recognized change of gender, but no-one thinks that represents the whole of the Transgender population... before we know what "more than average" looks like, we need to know what average looks like and we don't.

Is the population on ADISC representative of the total ABDL/IC population? I think probably not. We are very unlike most other ABDL related sites: ADISC is mainly about emotions and very little about sex, whereas everywhere else is exactly the opposite. This suggests it would attract a rather different crowd.

Anecdotally I would say yes: I have noticed a lot of very geeky men at ABDL events, and very possibly the percentage of them who have a diagnose-able (even if not actually diagnosed) ASD is higher than 1%. I have also personally met 4 young women in the ABDL scene who have / are going through gender transition - 4 out of 4000 certificates issued in a population of 65 million does seem like more than average. I'm not sure if the large majority of the Sissy Baby/Little Girl population that do not go through gender transition count as transgender - some of us would identify that way, some wouldn't, and whether or not we fit the definitions of transgender used by trans organizations is even another matter. We do seem like a fair sized part of the general "Sissy" population.

In the end the link between different people and ABDL is being ABDL. We're all differently different. There have been a lot of threads about the real or imagined demographics of the ABDL population - ABDLs are mostly White (?) heavily male (?) more educated (?) prone to mental illness (?)

Fascinating though it is to speculate, it wont really lead us anywhere. We are who we are, we just need to make the best of it and support one another.

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    Anecdotally I would say yes: I have noticed a lot of very geeky men at ABDL events, and very possibly the percentage of them who have a diagnose-able (even if not actually diagnosed) ASD is higher than 1%.
    I don't think thats terribly unique to ABDL. Go to any public exhibition where people express their passion: Model railroad, Sportsmen (aka gun show), dog, cat, exotic pet, even prerace exhibitions for things like triathlon or marathons. You see a lot of inner geeks off the leash.

See the same people at work or in public where they have their professional game face on, you'd never guess.

In the end the link between different people and ABDL is being ABDL. We're all differently different. There have been a lot of threads about the real or imagined demographics of the ABDL population - ABDLs are mostly White (?) heavily male (?) more educated (?) prone to mental illness (?)

Fascinating though it is to speculate, it wont really lead us anywhere. We are who we are, we just need to make the best of it and support one another.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I don't think thats terribly unique to ABDL. Go to any public exhibition where people express their passion: Model railroad, Sportsmen (aka gun show), dog, cat, exotic pet, even prerace exhibitions for things like triathlon or marathons. You see a lot of inner geeks off the leash.

See the same people at work or in public where they have their professional game face on, you'd never guess.
    Indeed. In any case, you can't assume that anyone attending any kind of convention or meet are representative of all people who have that particular interest, especially in the case of something like AB/DL. It takes a fair amount of confidence and self-acceptance (or diminished inhibitions) to come out in such a way, even among people with the same fetish.

Just a few thoughts on it...

I've noticed the same thing, but can't be sure at this point if it is an entirely accurate perception on my part.

I used to belong to the "The third and the most mysterious, those who have no idea how it started" club, but I am now satisfied that biological imprinting is the cause in most cases.

I tend to reject psychological theories, such as your second one, on the grounds that there has never been any solid evidence to support them. I won't rule out a possible psychological connection between growing up IC and developing AB or DL desires.

I am open to the possibility of a genetic or imprinted connection between the various "strange" things you mention. I recall reading somewhere that it isn't uncommon for people with one fetish-like desire to have others. That is evident on this site where there are various combinations of desires for fur suits, sissy attire, and diapers.

Autism I can only guess at, but I wonder sometimes if psychological problems created by dealing with unacceptable desires could lead to autism or autism-like symptoms.

I've noticed all the above as well, but what strikes me are all the exceptions. For every theory there is a contradiction, something which makes finding what makes us tick, or why we like diapers, very difficult. Some of our members were bullied, or had abusive childhoods, and yet, others will say they had a great childhood. Some of us suffer from depression and others don't. We have a higher number of members who fall on the Autistic scale, but they're still in the minority.

We are indeed an odd lot.