Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Ways of reducing anxiety naturally

  1. #1

    Default Ways of reducing anxiety naturally

    Okay, so I have dealt with bad anxiety for many years. In the past I've tried multiple different anti-anxiety meds but all of them caused serious side effects such as hallucinations so I haven't taken any for a few years. I've tried other things such as meditation but my anxiety is getting increasingly worse and it is starting to get really hard to cope with. I'm starting to make a lot of mistakes at work anf and have continued to become more withdrawn. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to naturally reduce anxiety?

  2. #2

    Default

    Natural methods to decrease anxiety are mostly different ways to think and look at situations. Checking to make sure a person is not using fallacies of logic, not spending too much time thinking about unlikely possibilities, and being more realistic in expectations are good examples of such methods. Cognative Behavior Therapy is the treatment method which seeks to help a person be healthier through better thinking.

    Other methods include looking for physical influences that make anxiety worse such as caffeine, nicotine, and other stimulants. Another possible concern would be sleep depravation due to anxiety reducing sleep.

    There are many ways to reduce and manage anxiety. In my experience, a professional is best prepared to help find the best method and help a person best use those methods. I do not know what will work for you; my experience is still seeking improvement for my own.

  3. #3

    Default

    My mother (in her 60s) has very bad anxiety among other things. She take cannabis butter, rather than THC she takes only the CBD via butter.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Natural methods to decrease anxiety are mostly different ways to think and look at situations. Checking to make sure a person is not using fallacies of logic, not spending too much time thinking about unlikely possibilities, and being more realistic in expectations are good examples of such methods. Cognative Behavior Therapy is the treatment method which seeks to help a person be healthier through better thinking.

    Other methods include looking for physical influences that make anxiety worse such as caffeine, nicotine, and other stimulants. Another possible concern would be sleep depravation due to anxiety reducing sleep.

    There are many ways to reduce and manage anxiety. In my experience, a professional is best prepared to help find the best method and help a person best use those methods. I do not know what will work for you; my experience is still seeking improvement for my own.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

    I never knew that caffeine or nicotine could do that. I work an overnight shift so i drink a lot of caffeinated drinks to help keep me wide awake and i'm a smoker as well. I guess its time to cut back on the caffeine and try to cut back or quit cigarettes again to see how much that helps.



    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorPenguin View Post
    My mother (in her 60s) has very bad anxiety among other things. She take cannabis butter, rather than THC she takes only the CBD via butter.
    I use to smoke pot for the longest time for my anxiety and actually quit because over time it started to make my anxiety worse instead of better. I know thats because of the high amounts of thc though. I wish i could get products with low or no thc and high cbd's, I've tried cannabis butter one time before and I've found cbd's to decrease my anxiety quite a bit, plus you get other medical benefits from it, but its very hard to get anything beside plain old pot where i live right now since its not exactly legal where i live quite YET. Hopefully soon that will be an option for me.

  5. #5

    Default

    I find exercise is the biggest help -- a ten or twenty mile bike ride really gets the endorphins going and makes me feel calmer, but more vibrant. Even a brisk stroll in the fresh air would help.

    Reducing/eliminating alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, cannabis, etc. can help (as mentioned above). As can regular sleeping patterns, eating, and keeping yourself hydrated. Complex carbohydrates can keep your energy levels constant, so you don't "crash". Reducing fat, salt and sugar can help too.

    I find oily fish helps... it's supposed to be a good source of vitamin D and omega 3 essential oils which are good for brain function, and there's some weak evidence that these reduce depression (which is linked to anxiety).

    Hot baths/showers can relax the muscles reducing anxiety. Oh, and direct sunlight on your skin is good for you -- it resets your body clock, and results in the release of vitamin D and hormones (seratonin?).

    Even natural daylight bulbs can help a little if the days are too dark/short where you are.

    I asked my doctor about anxiolytics, but I was told that they're only really useful for short-term use as the body quickly becomes tolerant of the dose, and that reducing the dose causes the anxiety to return. Some antidepressants can improve anxiety and are less likely to cause anxiety when the dose is reduced.

    Oh, and just giving my brain permission to stop thinking helped me. I used to lay awake for hours with my brain buzzing with thoughts, but now, if I'm in bed, I just remind myself that now is not the time to be thinking about stuff -- I can do that tomorrow. I'm not going to fix anything from my bed, so I can empty my mind and JUST concentrate on relaxing and getting to sleep.

    Anyway, anxiety really sucks. Hope it gets better soon. :-)

  6. #6

    Default

    Well, personally for me, letting my little side take control is a major factor in relaxing.

    I'd also suggest trying out Yoga (I like kundalini) , or an art of some type such as painting.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by DprEffect View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

    I never knew that caffeine or nicotine could do that. I work an overnight shift so i drink a lot of caffeinated drinks to help keep me wide awake and i'm a smoker as well. I guess its time to cut back on the caffeine and try to cut back or quit cigarettes again to see how much that helps.
    Glad I could provide some useful suggestions. You may find books on Cobnative Behavior Therapy (CBT) for a better understanding. I read a few books, took notes on what I learned, and found a professional to help guide me toward improvement. Hope you figure out how you may best use the suggestion.

    Good luck reducing caffeine or nicotine. A doctor recommended to me to reduce my caffeine by small amounts each week like a cup of coffee per week to minimize withdraws. That worked good; down to one small beverage daily currently.

    Nicotine is a whole other beast. Last time I quite was cold turkey and that was horrible. Started again 2 months later. Electronic cigarettes (vaping) may be something to consider. They make it easy to lower nicotine levels (and other harmful chemicals), and still provide that hand/mouth activity while potentially saving money. Currently down to 6mg liquid and considering going down to 3 or 0. The ones that look like cigarettes are nearly worthless compared to a good vape device. Let me know if you have any further questions about them.

    It may be worthwhile to also consider your sleep quantity and quality especially since you work nights. Night shift workers are more likely to develop sleep problems such as sleep apnea (breathing interruptions during sleep). Symptoms include excessive tiredness during the day, waking with a headache, and snoring. It is basically a bunch of sleep interruptions ruining sleep quality. Inadequate sleep will not only make you feel tired and need more stimulants (caffeine and nicotine), but also make it more difficult to handle stress. This may contribute to anxiety symptoms.


    Hope you get well soon.

  8. #8

    Default

    I just changed my job and that's cut my anxiety

  9. #9

    Default

    One thing you might want to look into is mindfulness. It is kind of part of Buddhist philosophy, but you don't need to worry about this. You can just read about mindfulness and focus on that one little part of it.

    Very basically, I can say that mindfulness is basically just awareness. But it is awareness without judgment. You don't judge your emotion (anxiety in this case) and you don't judge yourself for being anxious ("What is wrong with me!? Why am I anxious even though I shouldn't be!?"). Don't even judge the possible trigger for anxiety, if there is a trigger in your case. Just know that it is what it is. Know that you are just being human, and this is okay. If you have an anxiety disorder, just know this is just a burden you have, and that everyone has their own unique burden. This one is yours. And it's okay to not be perfect. (Actually it'd be so weird if we were all perfect, if that even exists.)

    Then, gradually, you can learn to just sit with the anxiety, even though this kind of sucks. Let me put it another way, you can either sit with the anxiety, or you can fight it or fight yourself, which sucks even worse than sitting with it. So at first this will be so uncomfortable. But anxiety is always uncomfortable. You'll have to accept it. After a while, you'll get really good at it, though. It takes hard work and practice, but you'll one day reach this point where you feel an anxiety attack coming on, and you just know how to deal with it automatically, without thinking, like riding a bike... or like knowing which buttons to hit on the gamepad. The attacks will, with time, have hardly any power over you again.

    I've been working on this for about a year or so and I'm getting there. I still have some needless anxiety, but it seems far less intense than in the past. And do keep in mind there are of course times when anxiety is needed. If there's a true life or death situation you'll be glad your fight or flight response kicked into high gear. Hopefully that's a good starting point for learning to handle this without judgment.

    Mindfulness meditation goes hand in hand with this, but if you are a severely anxious person you may find meditation extremely hard to do early on - this is why I just suggest to focus on the awareness part first. There's a lot of resources online for free on this. If this sounds like you'd be interested please look it up and see if any guides and methods are helpful.

    Good luck to you - I know how difficult it is, and I wish you all the best.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by DprEffect View Post
    Okay, so I have dealt with bad anxiety for many years. In the past I've tried multiple different anti-anxiety meds but all of them caused serious side effects such as hallucinations so I haven't taken any for a few years. I've tried other things such as meditation but my anxiety is getting increasingly worse and it is starting to get really hard to cope with. I'm starting to make a lot of mistakes at work anf and have continued to become more withdrawn. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to naturally reduce anxiety?
    Hello

    There is a couple of discussions in "School house rocks ADISC" that cover calming effects and dealing with ADHD. These are grounding and coping mechanism for anxiety and depression.

    Egor

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Dec-2014, 16:29
  2. Reducing noise with plastic pants?
    By jj2jjj in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2012, 22:37
  3. Help with reducing the size of that padded butt?
    By jj2jjj in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-May-2012, 22:42
  4. When does it come naturally when you go 24/7 ?
    By AlSpace in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2011, 21:49
  5. Hello again naturally
    By Doodle in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2009, 23:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.