Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Paris

  1. #1

    Default Paris

    My thoughts and prayers go out to the citizens of Paris, France, and all European countries in the wake of yesterday's tragedy. It's a reminder to always be alert and report anything suspicious to your local authorities. Sadly, this is the world we live in now.

  2. #2

    Default

    Such carnage, and such a horrible display of the worst of humanity. For the second time in less than a year, France is in a state of disbelief and shock over another terrorist attack. Our thoughts and solidarity are with them.

    ISIS has allegedly claimed responsibility for this attack and the question is why was France targeted yet again above other members of the U.S.-led coalition? The country was already on a heightened level of security and the authorities had promised improved surveillance after the Charlie Hebdo attacks. Could more have been done? And will the people of France, who came out defiantly on the streets in hundreds of thousands to mourn the Charlie Hebdo victims, have the courage to overcome their growing security fears and do the same a second time? These are only some of the questions that must be asked, but now is time for containing the threat and mourning the losses.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 14-Nov-2015 at 17:04.

  3. #3

    Default

    News is reporting that over 120 people were killed and nearly 200 more injured. It's horrific.



    Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post

    ISIS has allegedly claimed responsibility for this attack and the question is why was France targeted yet again above other members of the U.S.-led coalition? The country was already on a heightened level of security and the authorities had promised improved surveillance after the Charlie Hebdo attacks. Could more have been done? And will the people of France, who came out defiantly on the streets in hundreds of thousands to mourn the Charlie Hebdo victims, have the courage to overcome their growing security fears and do the same a second time? These are only some of the questions that must be asked, but now is time for containing the threat and mourning the losses.
    Targeting France again may be an attempt to push the country towards a different course of action. One could theorize that if enough attacks occur, the people will lose their appetite for being involved in the conflicts in the Middle East. Though, to be honest, I find that terribly unlikely.

    What I do consider likely is that there may be crackdowns that are, in every sense of the word, unfair. That is, given the difficulty demonstrated in finding the people engaged in specific terror plans, there may simply be action taken on the basis of ethnicity or religion, which I think would be truly regrettable if it does occur.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    ISIS has allegedly claimed responsibility for this attack and the question is why was France targeted yet again above other members of the U.S.-led coalition?
    France has a long history of colonialism. Algeria leaps to mind.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    What I do consider likely is that there may be crackdowns that are, in every sense of the word, unfair. That is, given the difficulty demonstrated in finding the people engaged in specific terror plans, there may simply be action taken on the basis of ethnicity or religion, which I think would be truly regrettable if it does occur.
    On the other hand.... its pretty certain that undercover Lutherans aren't involved.

  6. #6

    Default

    Not a good situation.
    What ISIS wants is the destruction of Western Civilization.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    France has a long history of colonialism. Algeria leaps to mind.
    The Washington Post says the same thing, that and they have had some involvement in Syria. The bigger question is, what do they do now? Western countries make the mistake in thinking they can wage a merciful war, killing only the enemy they see, but as we know, the enemy hides behind the innocent, and they only way you can kill them is to kill everyone. Welcome to WW II when we firebombed entire cities.

    So what do civilized nations do? One is to stop violence before it occurs, often through intelligence, and sometimes that includes listening to phone calls, having cameras on streets, and many of the things free people don't like. But we live in a different world today, one that is in danger much of the time. Regardless, my sympathy and sorrow goes out to the people of France.

  8. #8

    Default

    I don't envy any officials/military/government that has to decide what the next step is. What a tragic thing to happen in a city that is known as one of the most picturesque and romantic cities in the world. Very sad that so many individuals went out for a night at a bar, restaurant and concert and never returned home.

  9. #9

    Default

    Obviously, the attacks are terrible and horrible, and nearly everyone in the world except for ISIS is condemning the attacks. The next question is what is going to happen now. Obviously, we need to get ISIS and all of the terrorists responsible for the attack. I'm just worried that in a fit of rage and anger over these attacks, we will attack blindly and just bomb some random village in Syria because we think ISIS might be there, killing a bunch of random civilians, which is not only grossly immoral, but also harmful in the long run as we give innocent civilians both a reason to join ISIS and motivation for future terrorist attacks. I'm not sure what the solution is or how we fight back, I just know we need to be smart in how we fight back and not just make stupid decisions based on emotion and just say "BOMB HERE!!!".

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    So what do civilized nations do? One is to stop violence before it occurs, often through intelligence, and sometimes that includes listening to phone calls, having cameras on streets, and many of the things free people don't like. But we live in a different world today, one that is in danger much of the time. Regardless, my sympathy and sorrow goes out to the people of France.
    What to do? Good question. This vermin doesn't care about life, its own or anyone's. Much like Vietnam and Afghanistan, that allows them to wage a low-budget war of attrition. We on the other hand, spend a million plus to kill each of them with high tech weapons rather than risk our own lives. We spend even more on security and prevention here in ways that aren't easily measurable. The flip answer is to get out the checkbook and pay them each a few million to sit down and shut up. Of course they'd use the money to by more and better weapons to use against us. The radioactive parking lot option seems attractive, except that cockroaches survive even that.... and if you believe the Bible, the Flood didn't do it either.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Targeting France again may be an attempt to push the country towards a different course of action. One could theorize that if enough attacks occur, the people will lose their appetite for being involved in the conflicts in the Middle East. Though, to be honest, I find that terribly unlikely.
    There isn't any uncertainty here about the why! We all dither and debate about the why's and wherefore's while all of these Islamic groups have been very clear about the message from day 1: "Die Infidel!" There are rarely any ransom or political demands, except occasionally to get prisoners released.

    <Maxx dusts off chainmail, sharpens sword, shakes out and irons tunic with red cross...>



    What I do consider likely is that there may be crackdowns that are, in every sense of the word, unfair. That is, given the difficulty demonstrated in finding the people engaged in specific terror plans, there may simply be action taken on the basis of ethnicity or religion, which I think would be truly regrettable if it does occur.
    You're right. To be absolutely fair, we need to round up blonde, Swedish, Lutheran grandmothers and send them to Gitmo, along with Habib and Mohammed.

    There's nothing wrong with narrowing down your list of suspects based on known charactistics of the offender (or in this case, the enemy who has declared his intention to kill you!). Border security and rounding up illegal aliens is a good idea for lots of reasons, this being one of them. The media like to play up the odd domestic recruit because it plays into their narrative that everything is the fault of George Bush and Evil Amerika, but truth is, those few disaffected souls are a drop in the bucket.

    Predictably, France will surrender, Obama will apologize, and the terrorists will keep on blowing stuff up.

Similar Threads

  1. buy diaper in Paris, France
    By Peterhsu in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2015, 12:39
  2. Diapers in Paris, France?
    By AaronT in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2011, 20:21
  3. hello from paris
    By bebephilou in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-Mar-2010, 16:07
  4. What and Where in Paris?
    By z66r2v in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2009, 16:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.