Not open for further replies.

stiletos

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
It has been quite some time since I have posted here. The last time was likely when I was clamoring for thicker, higher end, more expensive premium diapers to become available. Well, since that time the diaper market has seen some new products, including the premium level brands, so I figured I would give my take on the various ones I have gotten a chance to try out.

First off I will list universal improvements that I would love to see. None of the diapers on the market today have done these things.

Extended padding through the entire front wing and leak guards that extend from the legs and go up and around the wings: When putting on a diaper the front wing folds around the body and the back wings then fold over that front wing to be taped. I would like to see a diaper that extends the padding all the way to nearly the edge of the front wings. This way the padding would extend to the padding in the back of the diaper. Leaking from a diaper, especially when back sleeping is often from flooding of the diaper and the liquid traveling to the wings where their is no padding and no leak guards, the liquid can then leak from the side of the diaper. By extending the padding through the side wings of the diaper and extending the leg leak guards around the wing, following the padding, this would make leaks like this a thing of the past. Extra padding in the wings would also lead to vastly better structural stability in the diaper not allowing it to fold over upon itself and instead helping it keep it's shape when worn.

Thickness: Thickness is pretty much clearly a universally desirable thing for most diaper lovers. In most reviews the common question people want an answer to is "how thick is it?". While diapers in the premium world are relatively thick there are none out there that have really raised the bar to the place many people want to see for non-public non-discrete use. There is certainly a market for the diaper that is so thick it is basically like todays premium diapers with the couple of boosters already included right into the construction.

Zoned Thickness: One of the key things I would like to see in premium adult diapers is varied thickness within various zones of the diaper. Many diaper lovers make liberal use of boosters in various sections of premium diaper brands to make them not only absorb more liquid, but to also make them far less likely to leak by using the boosters as strategically placed barricades. I often use a booster along the upper portion of the front waist band that stops leaking from the top of the diaper when laying on your back, the booster blocks fluid and wicks it to the side or deflects it back into the center of the diaper. I have also tended to use boosters just on the inner section of the leg guards running up to the front of the diaper. Not only does this add a huge amount of additional absorbency but it keeps fluid from flooding quickly to the side leak guards of a diaper and helps channel the fluid to the central areas of the diaper where the bulk of the padding is. What would ultimately be great in a truly premium diaper would be to see this varied thickness that can be obtained using boosters come completely built into a diaper to begin with. It would require a more complex manufacturing process, likely a "stacked" padding process where the first padding is added to the diaper as normal, and then the second shaped padding is stacked on top of the first, and finally covered with the inner lining.

The Diapers:

Rearz Inspire: (9/10, currently my favorite adult diaper, no real weaknesses, but improvements and advances mentioned above could make it even better).

The Good: Soft interior lining, thick, "very" tall leak guards, refastenable tape landing zone extends all the way to the edge of the wing, decent padding coverage into wings, structurally stable when wearing, very strong plastic backing.

The Bad: The tapes are "connected" to the rear wing of the diaper far less securely than most other premium diaper brands and when attempting to pull them for a tight diapering they can detach from the wing.

Overall: These are probably the most structurally stable diaper I have worn. These to not tend to collapse at the top when worn, the upper band of most diapers collapses or fold back upon itself when worn over time. Due to the thickness of the plastic backing and the extra thickness in the tape landing zone this diaper is quite rigid at the top and the diaper keeps its shape when worn. The tapes are strong and the landing zone is great. They are thick, comparable with the best of the other premium diaper brands. These are also a phenomenal diaper for coverage, they wear quite high on the stomach and are wide through the sides/wings. The wings of the diaper are extremely structurally stable due to the thick reinforced landing zone plastic extending all the way to the edge of the frontal wing making it more rigid. The coverage in the back of the diaper is phenomenal.

Key improvement areas: Extend the padding of the diaper through the frontal wings to extend to the rear of the diaper along with leak barriers. This would increase the structural rigidity of the diaper even further and make leaks from the side/wings unlikely. Add a thicker section of padding at the front of the diaper near the frontal waist band to stop leaks out of the top for back sleepers.

Comficare M10: (6/10, very thick but the front splitting from stress, the small size, and structural weakness at the top of the diaper leave room for improvements.)

The good: Very thick, huge leak barriers in the legs, refastenable tape landing zone, thick strong plastic backing, great coverage in the rear of the diaper.

The Bad: Tape landing zone splits vertically under stress, weak structurally at top of diaper, padding/fill moves and separates easily, relatively poor padding coverage into the wings.

Overall: These are thick diapers. I am a relatively small person and fall on the lower end of the range for normal medium sized diapers and these things are small. They fit very low on the stomach and the lack of structural stability causes the top front of the diaper to fold over and collapse leading to them wearing even lower on the stomach. This can lead to leaks out the top of the diaper very easily when lying on your back. These also have relatively weak and thin seeming wings that do not hold their shape well or mold around your hips. The reinforced tape landing zone also has a tendency to split vertically tearing the whole front of the diaper right to the padding/fill when it is taped tightly and/or you move causing stress to that area.

Key improvement areas: Fix the weakness in the plastic at the front of the diapers causing them to rip under stress, increase the height of the diaper at the front, improve the padding coverage more into the wings.

Abena M4: (8/10, an absolute staple, one of the "must have" diapers due to their unique plastic backing and very good fit.)

The Good: Soft interior, thick, soft outer plastic lining, strong tapes, the best padding coverage extending into the wings.

The Bad: Relatively short leg leak guards, no tape landing zone, secondary tape sticks to plastic on first taping to a degree, very poor structural stability.

Overall: These have my favorite plastic of all the premium diaper brands, it is soft and somewhat slippery and feels closer to what I remember old school baby diaper brands being like back in the early 1980's. The problem though is that it offers no structural stability. The front waistband of this diaper folds over and collapses almost immediately once it is put on, the soft plastic means the wings are thin and weak and tend to collapse to a thin mess of plastic and tapes instead of being a wide band that wraps around the hips. These diapers have a very good section of padding that extends out towards the wings in the front of the diaper and if this was extended well into the frontal wings this would go a long way to helping the rigidity of the wings. These diapers can be made awesome with the use of a couple boosters along the front waist band and one each along each side of the frontal wing. With those booster added the structural rigidity of the diaper increases dramatically along with the absorbency. Unfortunately to require to add $4 worth of booster to get that is a shame. Nevertheless with those booster added this is actually one of my favorite diapers due to the ultra soft plastic and very babyish feel. One issue I have had of late is that when attempting to retape the secondary tape is actually not completely overlapping the primary tape and as such it sticks to the plastic and rips the front of the diaper attempting to remove the primary tape to refasten the diaper.

Key improvement areas: The padding should be extended well into the wings to improve structural rigidity and decrease the chance of leaking from the sides/wings. Extra padding should also be added to the diaper close to the top of the frontal waistband to add structural rigidity and lessen the chance of frontal leaking for back sleepers. With the extra padding leading to more structural rigidity these would easily become my #1 diaper.

Dry 24/7: (6/10, huge and thick diapers saves a more dismal score, weak plastic despite "feeling" thick, terrible structural rigidity in the upper frontal waistband.)

The Good: Very thick and large with a high front. Decent structural stability in the sides/wings.

The Bad: No frontal tape landing zone and weak plastic, very poor structural stability in front.

Overall: These diapers are extremely thick and the mediums are some of the largest "mediums" you will find out there. There is no tape landing zone for these diapers and I have found with tight diapering and moving around the plastic at the front of the diaper has a tendency to rip under stress where the tape is attached. This can lead to leaks, or simply the release of the pulp and absorbent crystals. These diapers have "very" poor structural stability at the front and tends to collapse and fold over in that area after little movement. The wings on the other hand are quite stable with the thick plastic wrapping around the hips well in a thick band and not tending to bunch up.

Key Improvement areas: Badly in need of an reinforced frontal taping zone, this would stop the ripping of the plastic at the tapes and add much needed structural rigidity. They could also use the extension of the padding into the wings and thicker padding at the upper section of the front. With key changes this diaper could compete to be the best.

Bambino Bellisimo/Bianco: (8/10, a thick adult baby focused diaper with a great tape landing zone, thick plastic, and

The Good: Very thick, refastenable tape landing zone, thick strong plastic backing, great coverage in the rear of the diaper.

The Bad: Wears on the somewhat small side, weak frontal structural stability.

Overall: These are very similar to the Comficare yet without the splitting issues on the front. They are very thick diapers and offer great rear coverage. The diapers are on the smaller side and tend to wear low in the front. This becomes more of an issue with the frontal waistband area having low structural stability and collapsing and folding with little movement.

Key improvement areas: Increased height in the front to wear higher up the stomach and extend the padding in the front accordingly to add absorbency, reduce frontal leakage, and add structural rigidity to the front waistband area.

I would like to see how you rank Northshore Supremes among these. For me, they beat out Dry 24/7 for absorbancy and low noise level, and in fact I haven't been able to find anything better. But from what you wrote, I want to try the Rearz ones.

I've been wanting to try Rearz, but ABU stopped selling them. Any other American suppliers for this out there?

Ebay sells Rearz. Too bad I never saw them at ABU. I checked them put when they first turned legit but I wasn't quite convinced.

stiletos said:
Bambino Bellisimo/Bianco: (8/10, a thick adult baby focused diaper with a great tape landing zone, thick plastic, and

The Good: Very thick, refastenable tape landing zone, thick strong plastic backing, great coverage in the rear of the diaper.

The Bad: Wears on the somewhat small side, weak frontal structural stability.

Overall: These are very similar to the Comficare yet without the splitting issues on the front. They are very thick diapers and offer great rear coverage. The diapers are on the smaller side and tend to wear low in the front. This becomes more of an issue with the frontal waistband area having low structural stability and collapsing and folding with little movement.

Key improvement areas: Increased height in the front to wear higher up the stomach and extend the padding in the front accordingly to add absorbency, reduce frontal leakage, and add structural rigidity to the front waistband area.

I have a waist measurement lying down of 30" and comfortably wear a large Bellissimos with no problems. The legs are a tight fit (unlike some over-sized diapers, e.g. 24/7) and leakage is not a problem. The medium as you mentioned is too low a rise and is also lower capacity.

Kenn said:
I have a waist measurement lying down of 30" and comfortably wear a large Bellissimos with no problems. The legs are a tight fit (unlike some over-sized diapers, e.g. 24/7) and leakage is not a problem. The medium as you mentioned is too low a rise and is also lower capacity.

if you haven't trired them already, you should try a sample of bambino's mediums, I think you will find they fit you better (though quite differently)

bambinod said:
if you haven't trired them already, you should try a sample of bambino's mediums, I think you will find they fit you better (though quite differently)

I have and they stop at or below the navel - much lower than medium 24/7s. That and capacity is why I switched to large. Much happier. :claps:

Kenn said:
I have and they stop at or below the navel - much lower than medium 24/7s. That and capacity is why I switched to large. Much happier. :claps:

Most would say "below the navel" is the proper fit. The top tape typically goes around the belt line, well below your navel

but of course your fit is your own preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back