Thread: Steam question

Default Steam question

I have a friend who plays on steam a lot. His computer went out. He is currently building a new computer. How does he get steam games install on the new system. He did save the require registration number or digital CD Keys. Does he have to pay for re downloading games?

Thanks

The games are tied to his Steam account. when he logs in, they will all appear in his library ready to download. There is no fee to re-download.

Once a game is activated on Steam that's it, you own the copy and you can download/reinstall it as much as you like. If he had any saves though, that depends if those games support Steam Cloud. Those that do he'll likely keep the save files, those that don't, they'll be gone unless you can get them off the old harddrive.

Quote Originally Posted by arcituthis View Post
    The games are tied to his Steam account. when he logs in, they will all appear in his library ready to download. There is no fee to re-download.
    Thanks for your help on this!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Programmatic View Post
    Once a game is activated on Steam that's it, you own the copy and you can download/reinstall it as much as you like. If he had any saves though, that depends if those games support Steam Cloud. Those that do he'll likely keep the save files, those that don't, they'll be gone unless you can get them off the old harddrive.
    Thanks for your help on this! I will email him tonight. I let him know about the steam cloud and save games on his old hard drive.

Ugh I hate steam.. The registration thing is annoying when you have a physical copy of a game and want to use it on more than one account.

Quote Originally Posted by Milko View Post
    Ugh I hate steam.. The registration thing is annoying when you have a physical copy of a game and want to use it on more than one account.
    That is true too.