Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Pull-ups Bad?

Default Why Are Pull-ups Bad?

I saw another topic concerning more interesting designs for adult pull-up diapers. That's an interesting topic, but it got me thinking about the fact that pull-up diapers are generally worse in quality/capacity than conventional tape on diapers.

My question is, why is this the case? Does the construction of pull-ups make them unsuitable for high capacity? It's really odd to me. There has to be a reason for it.

With pull-up style diapers they are going for a more discrete profile as opposed to something with high capacity.

Pull-ups only have a small urine absorbing capacity.
    At best, a single wetting.

Quote Originally Posted by 417PlacesToGo View Post
    I saw another topic concerning more interesting designs for adult pull-up diapers. That's an interesting topic, but it got me thinking about the fact that pull-up diapers are generally worse in quality/capacity than conventional tape on diapers.

My question is, why is this the case? Does the construction of pull-ups make them unsuitable for high capacity? It's really odd to me. There has to be a reason for it.
    The main problem is that the elastic components of pull-ups tend to lose their elasticity within a few hours, especially under the strain of holding up saturated padding, and they thus start to sag. This is especially a problem when you consider that whether pull-up or taped, there are relatively few sizes of nappies, which means that each size has to cover a fairly wide waist circumference range - which means that pull-ups have to stretch quite a bit when put on, in many cases. Non-elastic plastic and tapes hold up far better under strain.

ha ha, it a way to say your not wearing diapers.

They do not stay in position.

If you are out in public, you have to completely take off your pants and shoes to change them.

I have tried the Depends Adjustable and Assurance Underwear for Men. . .neither had leak guards that I thought could do anything. . .at least compared to the Assurance Briefs.

In my honest opinion, pull ups are for those who need protection for just in case something happens and intend to use the toilet wherever possible. Whereas those who need and use a tape on diaper, expect that once they put one on, it is going to be used and will only be taken off when changed.

Some pull-ups you can get away with using like a tape-on diaper in situation where you want to be especially discrete and know you will be able to change often, but often will not last long if you have completely no control.

The companies consider this and they design there products with those functions in mind.

Did you see this pull-up thread? Because it covers every point you brought up and it's relatively recent.

https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthre...e-cool-pullups

I tried pullups when si first started to deal with my bladder issue and found the leak when you flood, taped diapers have proven to be more reliable, if you just have a small trickle issue then pull ups may be fine but for the most part you can't beat a premium plastic backed diaper

Quote Originally Posted by Rob110 View Post
    I tried pullups when si first started to deal with my bladder issue and found the leak when you flood, taped diapers have proven to be more reliable, if you just have a small trickle issue then pull ups may be fine but for the most part you can't beat a premium plastic backed diaper
    If you're still interested in pullups, you might want to try a sample of northshore's. They have fast wicking, thick padding, and excellent standing leak guards. (and the elastic of a tube sock...)

I've always wondered this too. Why can't a company produce a pull-up with the same absorbency as a tape-on? Is it really just the elastic that is the limiting factor? Has anyone ever experimented and put a ton of stuffers in a premium pull-up like an Abena Abri-Flex?